DR Tactic: Block, Flee, Rally. Is it gone?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

DR Tactic: Block, Flee, Rally. Is it gone?

Post by Daeron »

Greetings fellow Druchii,

With the publishing of 7th ed I took a years break in Warhammer. After reading loads of posts for the last weeks I find that many people have trouble fighting heavy battle lines and heavy cavalry. One of my key tactics in handling such armies was a trick with DR's. Some people call it baiting, I think, but that can be done with any unit. This trick I call "block, flee, rally" (BFR), a refined version of baiting tailored for DR's. A year ago, I still assumed everyone was familiar with this technique, but now I'm not so sure. If this has been explained before on this forum, spank me with the search engine :)
DR Tactic: Block, Flee, Rally.

The key goal of this tactic is twofold:
1. Mess up the enemy battleline
2. Put his units out of the battle.
This is accomplished by controlling the movement of his unit, using a baiting tactic with your Dark riders. Having fast cavalry as core units, such a unit should be easy to come by in a dark elf army. I hope many will find this guide helpfull.

So how does it work?
The trick consists of three stages in this sequence:
- block
- flee
- rally
And this sequence can be repeated ad infinitum.

Step 1: Block
Imagine an enemy unit, be it infantry or cavalry. Run with your DR's in front of the unit. Like this:

KKKKK = knights
***** - a couple of inches
DDDDD = Dark riders

The distance between these units is your chosing, but i suggest at least 7" if the cavalry can charge 16" or less if they are slower (like 4" for infantry).

The unit of knights is now blocked. They can either wheel around the dark riders or they can charge the DR's.
Usually, wielding such a unit should be cumbersome and leave little movement for positioning, if any. This would succesfully put the unit 'out of business' as it may have to spend another movement turn to get back into a usefull position.
The alternative is to charge our DR's as described in the next step.

Step 2: flee
If you have blocked the unit quite well, it will be 'forced' to charge the DR's. Evidently, the DR's flee with the hope of outrunning them. they fail their charge and move X inches straight towards your DR's. To increase your chances of outrunning them, increase the distance between the DR's and the enemy unit in "step1: block", but keep in mind that this reduces the effectiveness of the block.

Step 3: Rally

You may rally your DR's, which shouldn't be too hard with a musician. After rallying them, they may run again as per 'fast cavalry' rules. So you move them again... again in the face of the enemy unit, blocking it.

This trick can be repeated for as long as the enemy unit doesn't catch up, your DR's rally or no enemy support unit comes into your little scheme.
Now onto some specific situations to elevate this trick to the next level.

Directing the enemy

With the trick mentioned above, you can redirect the baited enemy unit. For example, taking knights again,

KKKKK***
***DDDDD

In this way, your DR's are blocking a side of the enemy unit. He can start his cumbersome wield again, or charge, just as before.
If he charges, he is now forced to first wheel to your DR's, then run straight. This has the following advantages,
- you can force his unit to turn
- if he fails the charge (which is obviously the point), he still has the wield fully at first
- he runs in a direction dictated by your DR's.
- the distance he has to wheel is part of his charge distance. This means you can put your DR's closer to his unit, increasing the effectiveness of your block.

With this trick, you can totally take a unit away from the battle field. But there is more. You can take this one edge further,

Messing up a battle line with 1 DR unit.

Let's raise the stakes: One DR unit versus two knight units standing next to one another. You place the DR's in front of them, blocking them both, but a little assymetrical (leaning more to one unit than the other).
1: Knight unit 1
2: Knight unit 2
D: Dark Rider

11111**22222
**DDDDD****

The Dark riders block the knight's advancements (step 1). They charge, you flee and outrun them (hopefully). Because Knight unit 1 doesn't have to wheel as much... the can run almost straight. Knight unit 2 has the wheel and thus won't charge as far. you get,

**22222**
*11111***
*DDDDD**

This is a great situation:
- Knight unit 2 is blocked by knight unit1.
- You can flank them with the same support unit, if you wish.
- He will have trouble getting his knights out of this knot.

But best of all: you can rally the DR's, run back and block knight unit 1, preferably to the right, thereby blocking knight unit 2 as well.

Screw his elites, I'll roast the rest

This is simple use of the tactic. You pick out one of your opponents better units and use the block, flee, rally trick till the end of battle. Meanwhile you have an open game with that enemy unit out of comission. You don't get the VP for that unit, but perhaps the victory on all the rest.

Distortion as my ally

This is way of using this trick in a bigger plan. Imagine:
3 heavy knight units vs
2 DR units + 1 COK unit

An obvious approach would be to flank and all but this may sometimes prove hard to come by. Here is a way that may force a flank charge. Consider the following lineup:
1: knight unit 1
2: knight unit 2
3: knight unit 3
C: cold one unit
D: dark rider unit 1
R: Dark rider unit 2

********11111**22222**33333**
*************RRRRR**********
DDDDD************************
**********************CCCCC*

Now a position like this is much more attractive for the opponent. He won't see the Dark riders as opposition and see his outnumbering on the COK's. But in effect, your 2nd DR unit is blocking units 1 and 2, but unit 2 more than 1. Why?
- if he charges with 1 and 2, you flee and obtain a result similar to explained above.
- if he charges with 1 alone, you flee and his unit 1 will block unit 2.
- if he charges with 2 alone, he is still forced to wheel to the left flank. He will block unit 1.
Either way, units 1 and 2 are in a bit of a mess. The next step for you is to charge them with your CoK's as they should have a flank attack. Get the first DR unit to support where needed and the second DR unit, after rallying, to mess up unit 3.

Some Remarks

- I make it sound easy but this tactic is not that simple and will always contain a certain risk. Train on it for best results :)
- Enemy support units are your opponent's vital element to undo such a situation. This is often why I spent my first rounds eliminating support units. (that and they can die easier, causing panic tests).

Please comment if you have remarks or improvements to add. thanks.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Directing the enemy

With the trick mentioned above, you can redirect the baited enemy unit. For example, taking knights again,

KKKKK***
***DDDDD

In this way, your DR's are blocking a side of the enemy unit. He can start his cumbersome wield again, or charge, just as before.
If he charges, he is now forced to first wheel to your DR's, then run straight. This has the following advantages,
- you can force his unit to turn
- if he fails the charge (which is obviously the point), he still has the wield fully at first
- he runs in a direction dictated by your DR's.
- the distance he has to wheel is part of his charge distance. This means you can put your DR's closer to his unit, increasing the effectiveness of your block.

My local club mattes wont accept that I flee off at an angle in this instance. They instead claim that their unit is charging straight forward and that i should therefore flee directly away from the the direction of their charge, even if my unit is at an angle.

After a few "lawyer" incidents I gave in and in order to redirect enemy unit i usually have to hold the charge and let my Riders die. Still works well, but not nearly as effective as your example.

While its a valid and legal tactic, I dont think you can use it against novices or players you dont know well.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Venkh: You may have had some trouble with that under 6th. But in 7th its really very very very clearly shown with diagrams in the rule book. I suggest you show your opponents it. Sorry. Don't have a page number for you.
Pleased to be back
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

English rulebook, page 22, fig 22.2 shows quite obvious that they have to weel ;)
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Venkh: You may have had some trouble with that under 6th. But in 7th its really very very very clearly shown with diagrams in the rule book. I suggest you show your opponents it. Sorry. Don't have a page number for you.

Gah!

You mean i actually have to read the 7th ed rulebook?

*Cracks spine for first time*

My naked dark riders have much to thank you for. :D
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Realize the awesomeness of Dark Riders. The tactic discussed is the one my opponents hate the most - but indeed, it's perfectly legal :twisted:
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

I use the tactic, but sometimes when I need to be SURE where the enemy will end up, I stand and take the charge. The enemy must pursue full, not 2d6 or 3d6.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Thalon
Executioner

Post by Thalon »

Nice description for beginners!

Opera of Death wrote:I use the tactic, but sometimes when I need to be SURE where the enemy will end up, I stand and take the charge. The enemy must pursue full, not 2d6 or 3d6.
After reading this post I really don't know it's meaning... If you take the charge you are likely to flee meaning another 3W6 to your position of the DR...
He has only to move full if you flee and are catched (okay, this isn't that difficult to do, too :D ).

Thalon
Mutator
Black Guard

Re: DR Tactic: Block, Flee, Rally. Is it gone?

Post by Mutator »

Daeron wrote:Messing up a battle line with 1 DR unit.

Let's raise the stakes: One DR unit versus two knight units standing next to one another. You place the DR's in front of them, blocking them both, but a little assymetrical (leaning more to one unit than the other).
1: Knight unit 1
2: Knight unit 2
D: Dark Rider

11111**22222
**DDDDD****

The Dark riders block the knight's advancements (step 1). They charge, you flee and outrun them (hopefully).

Your opponent could just charge with one knight unit. If you flee then the other knight unit is free to move during normal moves.

If you hold then you still block both units until combat is resolved, but you lose the dark riders and probably give the knights a pursuit move.

It still buys you time and space, and exerts your control over their move phase, so is well worth considering.
Strength in Numbers: visit Underempire.net
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Good point. It may be worth in some cases to stand but
- if he charges only with unit 1, they end up a little in front of unit 2, severaly limiting unit 2.
- if he charges only with unit 2, unit 2 will definately block unit 1.

In either way, it depends on the situation and the backup or countercharge you have ready. Fleeing with DR's is the default reaction to make this trick work, but, as you pointed out, neither DR nor yourself should be limited to this trick.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Hawk
Beastmaster

Post by Hawk »

I think it is a fairly often-used tactic. Sorceress on dark pegasus vs low or non-shooting lists also works well. Fly in, cast magic, flee/block charges...
Pierce him with a thousand bolts! Slice him into a million bits! Smash his head into a bloody pulp! I don't care! Just bring me the damn cake!
Agifem
Noble

Post by Agifem »

No, the sorceress lacks an advantage of the dark riders : the ability to move right after rallying. Not to mention that she's also awfully expensive.
Druchii : Victories : 17. Draw : 3. Defeats : 10.
Vampire Counts : Victories : 11. Draw : 2. Defeats : 5.
Bretonnians : Victories : 6. Draw : 0. Defeats : 2.
Gnoblars : Victories : 1. Draw : 0. Defeats : 1.

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win."
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Indeed. Only she isn't able to move again after a rally because she lacks the "fast cavalry" rule. This is an imperative rule for applying the baiting trick repeatedly. The ability to repeat the sequence is what makes this trick efficient. You can really mess up a battle line for 2 whole rounds (or more if you need it) which is all the time elves need to get into position and start killing.

EDIT: Curses! Afigem beat me to it :P

- The stiff breeze
Hawillis
Shade

Post by Hawillis »

And if she doesnt rally, hehehehe no spells this turn/Off the board you go!
If my calcuations are correct, SLINKY + ESCALATOR = EVERYLASTING FUN