43%
Manticore ?
57%

Total votes: 7

Avocalguy
Executioner

My General

Post by Avocalguy »

Hello all, I just entered the Week of War tournament and wanted to know your opinions on the below-equipped general, should he be on a Cold One or Manticore.
If I put on a Cold One I will have him be apart of that unit, however most opponents know to focus there war machines on the CO so there is a chance my General could get killed early
If I put on a Manticore I will have alone. The problem there is usually the war machine focus on him so I keep hidden so he gets into combat late.
What do you think is better? Below is how the general will be equipped. Thank you

Hand Weapon/HA/ SDC/ rxb/ Shield of Ghrond/ Sword of Might/Black Amulet
2+AS in CC/1+AS at Range/5+Ward Save/1+to my strength/-1 to my Opponents Strength/If I pass Ward save attacker auto loses 1 wound.
Veyder
Warrior

Neither ;)

Post by Veyder »

I think that Highborn on Dark Pegasus + Beastmaster on Manticore give you a lot of support in flank/rear charges as well as character/warmachine hunting. And if there are both, the opponent must think twice who will he shoot at.
veyDer

"Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust"
"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

It depends on the rest of your army.

The Manticore is an awsome mount for the General, as it allows you to use him offensively without much support. He's well able to defeat units on his own, given a flank or rear charge!

OTOH, his leadership will be of fewer use then.

Bye
Thanee
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

It mainly depends on the adversary. I am somewhat careful when it comes to field him on the manticore against Dwarves or Humans (had some bad experiences), and rather put him in a unit of COK's in that case.
However, apart from that, I think a manticore offers the best cost/effectivity ratio. He causes terror (useful against anything, even HE's will fail a Ld test omnce in a while), can fly (outflanking, hunting down running units/single characters, being a severe threat to your opponent) and you can spare yourself two kinds of Ld tests: against other terror-causing units and Stupidity tests (which tend to fail in the most inopportune moments, and don't tell me about stochastics!)
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!