New to the Druchii

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Cydon
Slave (off the Altar)

New to the Druchii

Post by Cydon »

Hello everybody my name is Georgy I am 20 years old and live in Hellas (greece u call it).

This website is one of the reasons i finnaly ended up decided to start the Druchii, i already play Chaos in 40K so i dont want the in fantasy too. I heard from many good players that play in national teams that the Druchii are not competitive, at least for now. The only thing is that the Druchii are quite expensive and i dont have the ability to collect many minatures fast. My favourites are the Corsairs and the Dark Riders (considering model and fluff) so I should start with

2x boxes of Warriors
1x Box of Cosairs
5x Dark Riders
2x Witches

this will be around 150 euros. What do u think?

I already own a RBT and six Corsairs just because i liked to paint them ;)

after these i will go for 2-3 more RBT and then maybe 20 executioners.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

First of all, welcome abord!

The starting boxes you wanna buy is good, that's no doubt at all. For the 20 Executionners, I dunno, I suggest you to get 2 Chariots instead, they are strong, solid and stupid ( ;) ) but I also suggest you with another unit of Dark Riders, they are too good to skip them.

If you're buying the command for the Dark Riders, don't only the Musician worth it. Some likes the Standard for flanking, but I don't because I prefer them as bait and harrassment. For the musician, I didn't even bought the command for it, I only had the instrument of the warriors' musician as a convert.
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

It's great to see a few new Druchii players popping up! Welcome to the Dark Side! :)

I think you've got a pretty solid start. Personally, I would model those warriors as crossbowmen. In my experience, Dark Elf Spearmen are pretty close to worthless at the moment. But two units of crossbowmen can do some serious damage if fielded properly.

The Dark Riders and Witch Elves are right on. Two of the best units Druchii can field. I would definately field at least 2 RBTs.

I'm also inclined to agree with Crawd... might be a good idea to field fewer execs, and spring for a chariot instead. for ~90 points, you get a great hard hitting unit that is an exellent compliment to your Witch Elves. Have the Witches charge the front, and the chariot the side! Most units in the game will collapse on the first round of combat under the weight of such an attack.

Have you put any thought into how you want to field your general?
Darluith
Executioner
Location: T'ularith, The Citidel of Damnation (North Carolina... for now) or running my guild forum

Post by Darluith »

A new Highborn......

Chariots are definatly a good point of foucus for your army. I however am very partial to Exes (having about 38 of them with two command groups). For the novice player though, I would stick with the crowd. Dark riders, RBT's, corsairs, and warriors (happen to disagree with you there MonkeyLord) Spears have won me many a battle. Not to say that rxb's haven't either. But the choice is ultimatly up to you CyDoN.

By the way Monkey, if you're still in NC, maybe you'd be interested in a game!
"I had a thought, they will fit nicely in the cauldron"
DreadLord Darluith Anaki
Cydon
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cydon »

so here is the list I came up with after discussing with some friends

for the start

2 Witches
50 Warriors with spears (some battles might make me think about it a little)
3 RBT
5 Dark Riders
10 Exec

I want to make a shooting army & magic that will engange in close combat with the warriors when the enemy arrives and flank with the Dark Riders/Execs

of course i am thinking mostly in terms of W40K so ur guidiance will be useful. I am not buying Cold Ones in general cause i heard that the models might come in plastic. So i wont hurry.
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

No problem Darluith. The Dark Elves are a pretty flexible army, and what works some won't work with others. In my experience, every time I've fielded a unit of spearmen, they've been slaughtered in short order, either via shooting, a cavelry charge, or a prolonged combat with a fighty unit. Come to think of it, I've actually never seen them win a combat in 15 years of playing Dark Elves... so obviously, my opinion of them is rather sullied. :P Especially when Dark Riders, Crossbowmen, and Witch Elves have won me so many games.

Plus, a block of 20-25 is just so expensive points wise that I would much rather field one or two more powerful, smaller units else-where with more hitting power.

And sure! Where in the area are you? We should arrange a game sometime. Druchii civil war! Oh nos! :D
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

I feild a unit of fifteen executioners, and their one of my favorites.

Dark Riders: Use Glade Riders, and maybe green stuff or lokk at the conversionts done on his website. for a few less uro, you can get 8 guys and a full comand. The only twodark riders I've bought I ended up converting (one for a noble riding a coldone, and the second a mounted standard bearer with a custom banner.)

Never used witches befor, so I can't say weather they are worth it or not.

If you want a shooty army, go with the crosbowmen, and make sure they have sheilds (so in the rare event the do do closecombat, they can stand their own using their swords and sheilds.)

I also feild two units of 15 spearmen (One usualy has a standard bearer, but he can go with the other units as well.)

two RBT may be taken as a single rare choice, so if a 4th pikes your interest, go ahead.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Saint of M wrote:Dark Riders: Use Glade Riders, and maybe green stuff or lokk at the conversionts done on his website. for a few less uro, you can get 8 guys and a full comand. The only twodark riders I've bought I ended up converting (one for a noble riding a coldone, and the second a mounted standard bearer with a custom banner.)

If you want a shooty army, go with the crosbowmen, and make sure they have sheilds (so in the rare event the do do closecombat, they can stand their own using their swords and sheilds.)

Itwo RBT may be taken as a single rare choice, so if a 4th pikes your interest, go ahead.

:lol: My two original DR ended up as a noble on a cold one and a BSB on a cold one as well :D

I just use the glade rider legs with the warriors curass and arms and put the glade rider heads on top. It works fine for me but if you want necks as well you can chop the top of the head off a warrior and mount the glade rider heads on the warrior necks.

I have all RXB and shields for my wwarriors, and standards for 1 unit at the moment at 1000 points. I will add a second big unit for higer points and keep the smaller 10 strong unit for denying flanks and jumping in buildings.

Because of the theme of my army I am using witches as my hard hitting melee unit with chariots and DR in support. extra shooting is a bolt thrower and 2 sorc. I will probably add another chariot at some point

No shades yet but I also have a unit of harpies.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Darluith
Executioner
Location: T'ularith, The Citidel of Damnation (North Carolina... for now) or running my guild forum

Post by Darluith »

Response in kind MonkeLord (1 hour south of you in Fayettville). A game would be great. But back on topic. You have some experience I see ( I am also an experienced Druchii General @ 16 years :twisted:) I like these descussions, so I will give you some insight. I find Spears, while weaker than elites, will hold longer than elites. They have the capacity to have the same +4 save that RXBs do in hand to hand. Charge the unit you want and declare they are using hand weapons. That gives you the hand weapon and sheild rule (not to mention that 20 spears w/ full command and shields cost a measly 185 points). In a 2000 point game, you can field a few expendable units, with room to spare for your Chariots and elites. I am not entirely disagreeing with you, just trying to point out that they are more useful than a Dark Rider (Arrow fodder imho). The warriors are more likely to be underestemated, and more likely to sneak through (or be let through and do some considerable damage).

On another note:
Witch Elves, when fielded in bulk, can pack a mean punch (i.e. 5 witches with hag in front pack a mean 16 poison attacks). They are most useful when backed by the cauldron. They don't have a save without it, but if you conceal them well, they can ruin your opponents day.

I also have alot of those (unit of 25 with full command). they are one of the best (next to Exes and CoK's) elite units in the Druchii arsenal. Just mho.
"I had a thought, they will fit nicely in the cauldron"
DreadLord Darluith Anaki
Cydon
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cydon »

first i wanna thank everybody here. Now about the conversion thing is there a picture guide? I find it very intresting sepecially when u talked about the green stuff, u should see my defiler!!

So in conclustion a 1500pts army with warriors is not a good choice? Cause i think they are underestimated, i mean they are cool to be used as a good unin in CR they can be deadly vs Ultra units that are few, like Warriors of Chaos + flanking attack by a better unit like dark riders or Exec, that i am going to buy cause i like theamed armies... (from what i v understood, cause i have no excpirience at all)
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Darluith: 16 years, eh? Another 4th edition vet! If druchii could grow beards, ours would be long and illustrious indeed. :) Fayetteville, eh? My wife has some family there... maybe the next time I know we're going to be down there, we can meet up and throw down druchii style.

Now, you raise an interesting point... however, once they get stuck in combat, I don't believe they can switch back to spears, correct? Don't they have to keep the hand weapon / shield option until the combat is over? (don't have my rulebook handy, I'll need to go check)

In which case, I would probably just opt for crossbowmen anyway. :P And really, this debate would be largely moot if we had our City Guard formations back. Then we could have the best of both worlds. :) *sigh*

CyDon: Honestly, in 1500 points, you almost have to take some warriors to fill your core requirements, unless you opt to take corsairs instead. Corsairs and Spearmen are roughly similar in performance... But where corsairs are much better on the attack, spearmen outshine them on defense.

Reason being, Corsairs have 2 hand weapons, and thus have two attacks all the time, regardless of whether they charge or are charged.... However, when charged, each corsair that dies means 2 potential attacks are lost.

Spearmen don't get their second rank of attacks when charging. However, when charged, each spearman lost is only ONE potential attack lost.

Anyway: As long as you plan to support your spearmen with another unit, you should be fine. Different generals with different experiences and methods of fighting their battles will always give you different advice. :) Go with your gut, and after you've accumulated some experience of your own, you can revise your list or your tactics as you see fit.