Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Jokeripokeri
Slave on the Altar

Starting druchii player needs advice.

Post by Jokeripokeri »

Hello everyone!

So, Im starting to collect a druchii army, and I have around 130 euros to
spend. (That's about 190 US dollars).

What should I buy? (Have a executioner boxed set already - They're so cool >.<)

I was thinking something like this:

1 Box of Dark elf warriors
1 Box of Corsairs
1 Box of Cold one Knights

Suggestions?
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

JokeriPokeri wrote:Have a executioner boxed set already- They're so cool >.<

their models were why i started DE - and the first thing i got was a boxed set of them :mrgreen:

well, one of the first things most druchii players find that they need is a lot of dark riders - but buying them will be VERY expensive, and a few people that have started dark elves recently have decided to wait for plastic DR (although i think that or chances of getting some are small - the HE fast cav has worse models and they didn´t get redone.

for th rest: i really recommend taking corsairs (you lucky europeans have boxed sets !evil! - we have to buy these dudes in blisters :x ) and a box or two of warriors - you need some sort of solid core, especially when you have just started to play and a character - but you could just convert a warrior for the first thing.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Darluith
Executioner
Location: T'ularith, The Citidel of Damnation (North Carolina... for now) or running my guild forum

Post by Darluith »

i agree, Corsairs would be a good staring point. Don' t focus to much on specials. and take your time and think about what type of Druchii force you want to create.

The tactical ravings on the Dark Elves part of GW's website said it best, as we are greedy and want everything in the army list, and two of it and we want it now. But if you don't focus on the force as a whole, in terms of effectivness, you will be hard pressed on the tabletop.
"I had a thought, they will fit nicely in the cauldron"
DreadLord Darluith Anaki
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

You could do the common trick and get 2 boxes of Wood Elf Glade Riders, plus some green stuff. The GS doesn't have to come from GW, I got a 36" roll of the stuff from Kneadatite for $30 Oz. The value is like, FOUR TIMES as good as GW.

You also get loads of excellent bits in the Glade Riders sprues, which will come in handy when converting characters. As will the Green Stuff.

And remember, Green Stuff isn't so sticky when its got water on it.

Your other option is to wait maybe till the end of next year, to see what excellent new goodies GW has in store (so to speak) for the Druchii.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Vladdrak
Cold One Knight

Post by Vladdrak »

I would definitely go for the box of warriors (and probably two). For the rest I would focus on the miniatures that you really like. Any tactical problems will just have to be remedied. Problem with Dark elves is that the new book (and thus the new miniatures) is coming within a year and it would be a pity if you spend a lot of money on miniatures that are getting redone. If you look at the Warhammer news and rumor forum on the website http://warseer.com, you will get an idea of things to come for us Druchii. The warriors are not getting redone, the cold one knights probably are. Executioners and Black guard not. For the rest, rumor has it that we are getting new plastic dark riders and plastic corsairs, but I still haven't seen any real evidence of either (e.g. greens or 3-ups like the new cold one). I now this isn't a direct answer to your question but I hope to have been of some help anyway. Good luck with your choices and the painting of your Druchii.
Tolkar of har ganeth
Dark Rider

Post by Tolkar of har ganeth »

I think warriors is a must (The very first warhammer miniatures I ever bought. Brings back memories *sniff*). If you make one look impressive enoug, you'll have a temporary Character and a unit of 15 spears (Thus +2 rank bonus). It is a good start. As for the corsairs, I dont think that you'd want to play with only ten. Buying five dark riders costs 5*8=40 euros. Making it 70 euros spent so far, and having two core choices.
What I think is a good buy, is a chariot. They cost 20 euro and give you some real support to your army. It can help your infantry, or make a combined charge with your dark riders (Who should be in the flank). You could even buy two, what isn't out of budget!
But in the whole, you should think about how you're going the theme you list yourself and look at what you like. Buying a box of warriors (or 2!) is the best way of starting a druchii force. The rest is up to you!
KILL!!!
Darkblade83
Corsair

Post by Darkblade83 »

just a reminder but if you dont have the latest version on the army book then you can get the updates for your army book in the warhammer section at the GW site. if your book has a red boarder around it then you have the latest version. the changes are pretty significant.
"The slayer of worlds has come for your soul."
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

/Agree with Darkblade83

Those changes really made a lot of our cruddy units usefull again. :) and made some of our good units seem cruddy :( I had the old non border having version and took a 2 year break form gaming when I discovered those rules modifications... If you have the old version definetely print out the free update formt he Eratta section of the GW site.

Well in USD you're wishlist is about $125 so with your remaining $65 I would get an RBT and a second box of warriors, Sorceress on foot model and Malus Darkblade model.

2 boxes gives you 32 warriors... I'd build 14RXB's with a Musician and a standard. This way if you need to toss afew points in you can swap out models. Then build your remaining 18 warriors as spearmen with a full command. In the begining those command units help get the punch and prevent the runnign off board until you get a feel for the DE.

Your CoK and Executioners are a fine pair of special units... good and hitty. the RBT is cheap and gives you the last bit of punch to get the job doen and shoot down anyone with the balls to try and get your flanks.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Darkblade83 wrote:just a reminder but if you dont have the latest version on the army book then you can get the updates for your army book in the warhammer section at the GW site. if your book has a red boarder around it then you have the latest version. the changes are pretty significant.

Any DE army book brought new from GW/gaming store should be the new version. It should be pretty difficult to get your hands on an old copy (they stopped them 3-4 years ago) unless you're a massive ebay price hunter.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

I use both corsairs and warriors in my army. Wariors can be one of two things: Defensive spearmen, or offencive crossbowmen. The Reapeaters have their drawbacks, but you almost always get a few hits in. Plus, if youi add sheilds, they it adds to both otheir defence and offence.

SInce warrior packets come in packs of 16, you can use on as a general or standard bearer. One idea with this I had was to take a pair of spear blades that broke off, and glue them on the guys arms sohe'd have 2 hand weapons (then I realised my standard bearer can't use anything above a handweapon.)

COrsairs are a purly aggressive group, in the fact that they had a 5+armor save in close combat, and a 4+ against shooting.

As for the knights, they are our only hammer unit (meaning when they hit, they hit hard!)
Jokeripokeri
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jokeripokeri »

Hello! Thanks everyone, I did my shopping with these results:

2 boxes of warriors
1 box of corsairs (10)
5 Dark riders (both shops had ran out of the sets).
1 Executioner command (going to use the champion as my noble)

Thanks for all the advices, hope seeing you around here!

Edit: I know I have the latest version of the book. I've been planning to start collecting druchii for a while now and have checked alot of the background etc.
I'll also try Cult of Slaanesh sometime, since I have some Chaos models.
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Good choices. In your shoes, my next investment should probably be some Reaper Bolt Throwers to give you some long range support. If you do, I would probably go ahead and pony up for two. In my experience, I find that fielding one by itself is rarely effective enough to justify the points... but two seems to be far more effective with overlapping fields of fire.