Defeating Alter Kindred Asrai Heroes

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Defeating Alter Kindred Asrai Heroes

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Hiya chaps, I've been playing several games against my old friend who uses Wood Elves. He adapts and changes his playing style and tends to use balanced forces with a mix match of everything.

Recently however he's discovered a really rather nasty Lord combo that Im sure must be used numerously by other Asrai players - essentially his Lord is kitted out with the following:

- Alter Kindred (giving him M9 and +1 A - I'm not sure but I think his initiative is also raised.
- The Bow of Loren a magic bow that works the same as a longbow except that you can shoot as many times as you have attacks and at the strength of the wielder (so S4 for his lord).
- Arcane Bodkins arrows that you can use in magic bows - these ones negate armour saves.
- Unknown Item this is the item that gives its user a 3+ Ward Save vs non-magical attacks: pretty useful really...
- a great weapon and other kit to make him not too shabby in combat + can charge with the great weapon if needs must.

So, the nasty little combo that he's made is excellent against elite expensive units and characters - 5 shots each turn at BS 6 that allow no armour saves is lethal. Then he has a high movement and thus can either move to where he is needed, or very quickly move to another location away from a threat - eg. Dark Riders. If he is caught in the open then he has the 3+ ward save and a good magic defence to keep off anything nasty. He often hides in units and guns down any threat that may harm him - eg. Magic Weapon wielding Nobles on Dark Pegasus etc...

Anyway, my point of this thread is to discuss the methods to combat the highly mobile alter kindred - whether they are the 'mobile fire support' character (like the Lord I have trouble dealing with - any ideas are greatly appreciated! :P) or the very fast Combat character - particularly one with Annoyance of Nettlings (or something like that! the one that makes you need 6s to hit in Challenges...)

When I attended the UK university nationals in march there was a wood elf army there with 2 alter kindred heroes zipping around causing all sorts of havok - anyone got any counters?!?!?! lol!

ah, stupid ***** wood elves...

- Beanz
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Lifetaker.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Yeah see thats what I'd thought but he tends to interspace bodyguard units for his lord so I can never singularly target him...

its lame lol! I've tried hunting him down through shooting and combat but so far the only thing thats come close is shutting him down through magic and even thats not easy when he takes such a stronge magic defence!

I know that preventing him from making up his points is a moral victory but I really would love the satisfaction of killing the cheeky bugger!

Hmmmm, maybe a Hydra combined with Unseen Lurker is the way to do it?? I think he'd eat the hydra though - 5 St 6 attacks at WS 7 is savage...

- Beanz
Arisos
Executioner

Post by Arisos »

He often hides in units

If he does that he is cheating!

Character with the alter kindred can never join a unit.
If he shoots you you can shoot back with the lifetaker.
We shall fight them on the beaches. We shall fight them on the landing grounds.
We shall fight them in the fields and in the streets.
We shall fight them in the hills. We shall accept their surrender, and use them as slaves!
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Key Points:

1. Alter Kindred cannot join Units.
2. With the new targetting rules, all you need is LoS. Lifetaker is a good tool, or any simple magic missile. He'll only have at best, 5+ Armor Save (WE can't take Heavy Armor).
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Positioning. An Altar HB needs LoS to you to shoot you, use that to your advantage by placing missile troops near potential targets so that if he pops up to shoot your guys, you can shoot him back. You wont necessarily kill him with xbow fire, but he will think twice about comming out in the open.

WE tend to be light on magic too, so magic missiles would be especially effective as they negate his ward, place a mage with the missile troops.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

The Ward item you speak of is Amaranthine Brooch.
His initiative is raised to 9.
A more common ward for that alter is the SotCM.

They're really vulnerable, and will die if targetted. Just about anything will kill him, especially magic missiles and the Lifetaker. Charge him and he'll soon die (9 Harpies will keep him busy as he'll strike last).

~ Nag
Beriothien
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Beriothien »

Bow of Loren is not longer the strength of the shooter...it is just a multiple shot longbow S3.

And to what everyone else said - no being within 5 inches of a friendly unit protection anymore. If you can be seen, you can be hit.

"ouch"
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

My friend tried an alter noble on me at 500pts I marched 6 corsairs infront of it first turn, he charged i fled leaving him exposed to 7 Cold One Knights with FC. He died... i dunno if this helps anyone else but baiting worked for me, but he probably won't fall for that again.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1