Is it worth to start Druchii before the new book ?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Skot
Warrior

Is it worth to start Druchii before the new book ?

Post by Skot »

Hey :)

Firstly I need to say this is a really nice community :) Glad I got here.

I'm thinking about DE army. I already have orcs (for 5 years now) and elves seem to be a really nice alternative. I'm definitely a "painting guy" and I even choose a "swamp/temple riders" theme (basically DE army that goes threw swamps and old stone roads to reach the temple hidden somewhere there and rob it).

My question is: Is is worth it to start DE now. I know that in a year (on Christmas right?) a lot of things may change, meaning that units I bought may not work as I thought they should and I will surrender a lot of work (and money!) to something that I won't use in future (I already have 25 Black Orcs heavy converted and... collecting dust with new O&G rules)

I ask because I can either work slow with my Orcs (have to finish some things) and start with the new book (and probably a shiny army deal!) or work faster on orcs (which should be possible) than choose an army list and paint some to be at least partially painted when the new book arrives.

I know it's way to early for rumors (to say at least what will and what won't change) but maybe you can help me out with this decision

Thanks for help :)
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

I would not finish the army to large tournament standards if I was starting now, with so much unknown, but start on the army slowly? Sure....pick a few simple units, maybe a character or 2, stuff you know isn't going anywhere (Spearman, Nobles, Dark Riders come t mind). Stuff that, though it might change slot, will almost certainly remain in the book. However, I would not highly invest just yet, there are just too many variables we don't know yet.
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I would simply say go for it. I am.

I'm using the glade riders for DR with the warrior torsos. The lizardmen cold ones with the heads off Spite (Malus Darkblade's cold one) as my cold ones and the current war cow cold ones with wings and extended tails as my dark pegasus models. The plastic warrior kits should remain the same and the current chariot is a sweet model if very difficult to assemble. The current harpies are beautiful models to convert and the current witche are also fine. The executioner models are why some people stated playing DE in the first place, and the RBT and black guard models nice as well.

Its hard to imagine what they will redo, but I doubt a total remake is in order. Build a small army you like to get a hang of these guys, and if you are really worried, make them a traitor DE that have returned to Ulathan and use the HE rulebook with the DE models and conversions.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Welcome to Naggaroth. Third door on the left, one cross each.

Congrats on choosing the best, mightiest, and most beautiful race of elves.

If I were you, I'd just spend the year straightening out fluff, and from there, how I'd like to paint/convert. And in the meantime, give your Black Orcs their last Waaaaaaaaaagh!.

Drakken's advice is good advice. I would suggest start with a box of Warriors or two. Make yourself some RXBs and Spears. Whatever happens at Christmas, you'll need those. You might consider painting/converting them exactly the same way, in case they give us back the City Gaurd formation, or something like it. That would put Spears and RXBs in the same unit. There will be leftovers for good character conversions.

You can be sure you'll need Dark Riders, and Cold One Knights, but there might be new all-plastic models for these coming. Same with Corsairs. Other models you almost certainly shall need, and for which there almost certainly shall not be new models, would be Witch Elves and Executioners. If you mean to go to tournaments, you'll want these. There's not usually room for both in one army, so which you choose is a matter of style, and something to investigate now. Witch Elves are not expected to change much, but Executioners are - apparently they're getting some kind of boost.

It's also likely we'll get one of those nifty Plastic Lord/Hero/BSB kits, and a corresponding mage kit, and it should in theory be the best kit GW will ever have done. So in the matter of Character conversions, you might want to wait and see about that.

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

The only models confirmed to change at this point are the Hydra and the Cold Ones. There will probably be new models for at least 1 other unit (my guess is dark riders) perhaps more, but there will probably also be a completely new unit. (If we look at the High Elves, they got a new dragon model, new shadow warrior models, a couple new character models, and a new chariot unit+model...so not much changed) The good thing about Dark Elves is that most of our models are already pretty good. I can't see them making new models for Executioners, Black Guard or Witch Elves, as they already are so beautiful.
So basically I wouldn't wait.
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Draithon
Black Guard

Post by Draithon »

Id definately start now,especially if there are some models you love and dont want the uncertainty of GW stuffing them(executioners FTW!!!).
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.

Sun Tzu
Scipio
Highborn

Post by Scipio »

Yep , the current line of models is great and since your not a new player and pretty much a painting guy you would be one of the few i would recommend DE too.
In my view Chris Fitzpatrick did a great job with the current DE range. I recommend them...the army is difficult to play but if you master it then any other army in the game is a cinch!
Anyone else find it kinda interesting that DE will not use gun powder because its unreliable but seem to have no problem using cold ones?
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

If you're going to start now, do on units/models you'll include anyway. A general, a sorceress, and some warriors are a must-have. The Druchii are lacking in the character section, though, so you may want to look around. There are links floating around here for non-GW models that are quite impressive.

The Cold One models will most likely change. On Warseer, you can find the new models. If you prefer the new ones, hold off, otherwise you should go ahead and buy a few.

On all other units, I'd be very careful. Dark Riders might end up Special choices and many units will likely get a serious make-over if we can draw any kind of comparison with the previous army books. These changes could lead to a significant shift in how army lists will look like as you experienced first-hand with the Orcs.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

If you wanted to start now... You Can bank on a few things not getting changed over much and with those things you can buy existing models and make full units. I wouldn't plan to add new models to old model units though... so It gets tricky... (I still need one box of 6th Ed Dwarves to flesh out a couple units)

Get the Malus DarkBlade Model... I gan certainely Garauntee there will be an option for a noble mounted on a Cold one.

Get the Sorceress on Foot Model... They won't take that from us Either.

Buy 3 Boxes of Warriors and make 24 Spearmen and 24 RXB's... this way you can go light without commands... or break into 2 units of 10 with either... and still have decent looking models without mixing in a potential new range. (I doubt we are getting new plastic warriors unless it is some kind of box that can make shades, Spearmen, RXB's and possibly Corsairs all with one box likethe dwarves new longbeard/warrior/thunderer/quareller/ranger box)

One Unit Of Harpies .... Its cheap to buy 3 blisters and if you can't uses them after new book who cares they served their purpose and they look nice ont he shelf.

The New Cold ones look great but there is no info on whether the rider gets a makeover. Get 6 Cold One Knights... if you like the new lizzies better Bits order the lizzies and pop the knights off the scaled Cows.

2 Repeater bolt Throwers. Even if we get new Ugly looking RBT's like the HE ones... you'll have 2 and thats all you will usually be able to field anyhow.

Buy a Box of Glade riders to Make Dark Riders... they are cheaper in plastic than our Dark riders are... and you can take left over RXB mist form the warrior boxes to Convert them and add a few mor Druchii Items and a wicked Paint job. plus with 8 you can make a full command to pick and choose from if you want. (I'm probably going to do this myself becuase as much as I love the current DR models I want another unit and they are to expensive to build.)

Thats the basic Druchii Force... Some foot troops, some Misisle troops, fast cavalry, heavy cav, some skirmishers, a pair of RBTs and a Noble and a Sorceress. I don't see GW drastically moving away form the basics anytime soon.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

There will, most probably, not be many new models. As far as I have heard, Corsairs may go plastic as they are rumoured to stay core (and GW has said several times that they want all core units in plastic). Cold Ones are also getting a revamp, but I guess it's only the mounts and not the riders. Or possibly only the character mounts (more likely, actually).

I would defintely start the new army, at least in the buyig and painting department. 95% of all models will remain, but the rules for them may (and will) change. Thus, you may want to change armylist once the book is out. A unit you fancy now might not be as sweet in the new book, and some crap unit now (Black Guards, anyone?) might get a massive boost and be the ultimate unit for you later.

So my advice is to buy the basic troops you're sure you'll want. No characters though as those are sure to get new models - just like High Elves.

~ Nag
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Start now is my advice, its a whole year not just a few months. I supose there is little more to say that has not already been said but this is to reitterate the point.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Alux
Corsair

Post by Alux »

i agree with Shadowheart. I started DE 3 months ago and still getting it together. Hoping to field first army in next few weeks.
I've had my lizzies for 5 years+ and still tinkering. Most other armies you face will require some unit you might have never used, wether its core spears and RxB to RBT, cavalry and flyers. Just look at how many generals are having to think again v HE. New models aren't always the best looking.
Only 2 months to the new footie season
Vallorn deathblade
Noble

Post by Vallorn deathblade »

Drainial Shadowheart wrote:Start now is my advice, its a whole year not just a few months. I supose there is little more to say that has not already been said but this is to reitterate the point.

actually its more like 3-4 months till the DE release according to my local GW manager
Belial. wrote:Fighting Eldacar over fluff is like fighting Socrates over philosophy...

Alkkrision wrote:-Alkkrision: Druchii.net's own source of bad ideas :).
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

There's some pretty much confirmed releaseschedule at warseer which says that VC will be released now soon, and after that chaos daemons for both 40k and fantasy, and then after that dark elves would probably arrive.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Yeah VC are getting done next then Chaos for both and in th summer a new 40k edition is coming so that will eat up a lot of GW time and put Fantasy on the shelf until late fall/winter where the Druchii will probably be next.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I stand by my point, its a long while and as yet no one is quite sure when we will get a new book, I have heard everything from December 2007 (more or less proved wrong now) to January 2009. The most reliable sources I have heard said probobly some time in October 2008, so thats a way of.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Evilzealot
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Evilzealot »

Always err on the side of caution with rumormills; in this case I would not expect them to be released until Q4 08.

Its probably a good idea to start now. You can get in some practice with an unforgiving list and get in an elfy state of mind. The other benefit is you get to become excited as the new book nears, as opposed to stomping feet impatiently when it is delayed.

I can see GW moving towards plastic corsairs, and Dark Riders. The current models are both very static, and the swing towards plastic core units has been consistant. Getting by without dark riders til Q4 would be tough, but it would be a shame to buy 10-15 of them and replace them later.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Dark Elves are to be released in the fourth quarter of 2008.
Vampires in late March 2008.
Daemons in between.

~ Nag
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Vallorn Deathblade wrote:
Drainial Shadowheart wrote:Start now is my advice, its a whole year not just a few months. I supose there is little more to say that has not already been said but this is to reitterate the point.

actually its more like 3-4 months till the DE release according to my local GW manager

Next is VC, then,

2 sets of deamons which we have seen pictures of, then

5th ed 40K, then

Then something else which might be DE

My money is on 2009.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Darkadon »

First of all; VC = Q1 F08; Daemons = Q2 F08; DE = Q4 F08

Back on topic, yes, start about 500 pts. before the new book comes out. I would not go higher than that until I see new rules. Units that I would hold out on are Corsairs, Dark Riders, COC and COK, Black Guard, RBT's, Hydra, Cauldron of Blood.

Corsairs might end up as plastics, and either way I see them getting new models. On top of that, who knows what the new rules might have in mind for them. Maybe they'll get the raiders rule, skirmirsh, or get RXB's. The jury is still out on them.

DR will get a plastic box set much like the Glade Riders. Seeing how well those models turned out, I think it will be well worth having an infantry force for starters. If you really can't wait, buy two boxes of Silver Helms and a box of DE Warriors. Simply swap the torsos between the two units and you are set.

As for the other units I mentioned, rule changes and new models may affect which units you want in your army. Execs and WE would be a solid bet as their models are excellent and their rules probably won't change much.

Those are my 2 cents
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

Hold out on the Black Guard? Why? If they re-make those models then they are re-making possibly the best man sized miniatures there are. Those models are fantastic, I use them as my executioners.

The only reason I would hold out on Black Guard is because of the rules, not the models.

I am collecting DE very slowly, money and University along with a packed personal schedule does not allow me a lot of time so this is probably a good thing as DE arent released for a while. I advise you to go at the same slow pace. You say you are a painter. Spend a long time painting :D
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
Aa7
Slave on the Altar

Post by Aa7 »

already mentioned is the fact that DR will more than likely end up getting a new plastic box set which is nothing but great news however i find it strange that people have said to hold off on getting them for your amy if you can. i second that you should hold out until the new rumored plastic set arrives as it will, going by recent releases, be superior to the current models available and cheaper than buying the 15-20 blisters you will require too. i would however recommend when you write up your lists and play while awaiting the new book/models release that you definitly include them but proxie in some other cav models and get used to using them. you said you have been playing Orcs for the last five plus years so use some Wolfriders as proxies in the mean time. good luck with the evil elfs ;) they are gereat fun
Darkblade83
Corsair

Re: Is it worth to start Druchii before the new book ?

Post by Darkblade83 »

[quote="Skot"]Hey :)

My question is: Is is worth it to start DE now.

well on top of the obvious which is that the structure of your army may change with the new book another biggy are models.

looking at the knew cold ones i personally am waiting so i can get the newer models. their are a few i will buy such as more executioners and witches, maybe black guard. but with new cold ones your looking at way cooler knights, chariots, and heroes. plus it would look weird to take 10 knights 5 new, 5 old.
"The slayer of worlds has come for your soul."
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

I came into this hobby right after the Release of 6th edition and I have seen many armies out there with one unit of 5th edition troops and another of 6th I'm sure those players will also have some from 7th in there.

I persoanlly have a mixed unit of WIthc Elves becuase I didn't notice the difference in blisters and the Fro-Mullet Witch Elves were still on the shelves along with the new slender dred-locked ones. So I have 14 WE and its about half and half. Doesn't effect my play any... and I just put the fro-mullets int he back ranks.

As for Dark Riders. If you want to get the feel for playing DE... thsi unit is pretty much a must have. Like I recommended earlier just Buy a Box of Glade Riders... ditch the bows and glue on left over RXB's form the sprues you used to make spearmen. My Friend thinks green stuff hoods would look cool as well... I don't care that much. Paint the horses Black and give them an evil color scheme.

As for those Black orcs collecting Dust... WHY??? The new rules for Black orcs says they can fight howerver they choose in combat... either 2 choppa's, choppa nad shield or Great weapon. And that they can be modeled any which way to represent this. The new Plastic Black orcs look good... but they are similar enough to blend right in witht he old lead ones. Not to mention you can just field them as Biguns or Put empire crossbows in their hands and buy the Ruglund command set and make them armored Orcs. (I have 4th and 5th edition orc models posing as bullies fo rmy spear chukka's)
Skot
Warrior

Post by Skot »

Wow so many replies :)

Thanks for all the help guys :)

I decided to give it a try - I start a warband league at the end of next month - I will prox some DE just to make sure this is what I want and then I will buy a warrior box (i believe those won't change) Dark rider blister or two (I will be aiming for a metal unit of 5) and some witch elves / executioners whatever impress me more maybe even both - also I can make harpies out of demonets (i HATE the "normal" models ...)

so for now i have to wait (exam session in progress) ... oh I can't wait ...

Also I hope Claudron of Blood will get some sort of a bonus coz I have a nice idea for it :)

Once again thanks for all the support - I feel good to be member here but I will make myself "at home" when I actually start :) Since then I will just lurk here and ask a stupid question from time to time :)