Big units of White Lions and Phoenix Guard...

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Big units of White Lions and Phoenix Guard...

Post by Aspiring executioner »

I seem to be having trouble with units of around 30 WL and PG ea. Does anyone know any effective ways of quickly 'dealing' with them? My army includes
Dragon Lord
2 Chariots
Cold One Knights
Noble to lead the Knights
Sorceress
Dark Riders
2 units of xbows
2 RBT's
Executioners
Giant
Any suggestions of what to do against them much appreciated.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Shoot shoot and more SHOOT. RBTs work great, and they have low saves so crossbows will work good too. Not as much against White lions though because of high T. Use RBT on them
Darluith
Executioner
Location: T'ularith, The Citidel of Damnation (North Carolina... for now) or running my guild forum

Post by Darluith »

Ok, I had some issues with them aswell, so I'll give you what I know.

With the Pheonix Guard, pummel them with the RBT's. I found that constant barrage is an effective method to get them dwindled down to a managable level.

White lions, don't tussle with them too much with heavy hitters. They chew them up with ASF. Try some lighter infantry. Spears would be sufficiant to hold them while the rest of your force pounds down the bulk of the Asur forces. i found that ganging up on the new High elves is pretty effective. multiple charges. If its a high points battle, Take something like a BSB with the Banner of Nagarythe on one of your units. They can't break you and you get the additional +1 (not to mention the +1 for the reg standard and the +1 for the BSB. If you have ranks you could possibly break them.

This is form experience as I fought them, and we both lost over 3/4 of our forces. Just remember you have much in the list that can handle. But to take it a step further, one thing you will be asked is how are your troops equipped (i.e your Highborn on the dragon, specials and standards things like that). We can help you defeat them. It just takes some fine tuning.
"I had a thought, they will fit nicely in the cauldron"
DreadLord Darluith Anaki
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Hit one of those two units with all your Cold Ones at once. Then hit the other one with all your Cold Ones at once. Use the rest of your army as a sort of funnel which will make that possible. You have two units of RXBs - one baits the PG, the other the WL. Your dragon goes after his gunline or his mages - whichever is more dangerous first, then whichever remains. Your Dark Riders lead his cavalry off the field. Hopefully by the time they come back it's too late, your Cold Ones have destroyed his enormous expensive infantry blocks, and his 8 DP and 10 SH have to deal with your entire army less DR and RXBs.

You just need a good bit of terrain to hide behind in the first turn or two.

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Aspiring executioner
Assassin

ok i'll say the magic items that i give my druchii.
Highborn: Gauntlet of Power, Crown of Black Iron, HA, SDC, Shield
Noble: HA, SDC, CO, Crimson Death
Sorceress: Tome of Furion, Dispel Scroll
Executioners or COK (depends on what I feel like): Banner of Murder
All troops given full command.
Xbowmen: Shields
Chariots: Spears
DR: Xbow's
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

RXBs and DR just about never need full command, just Muso should cover it. Against HE, the Banner of Murder would have to go with COK, it won't help the execs as their charge bonus is striking first, which matters not at all.. What else does your arch enemy bring?
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Bad beast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Bad beast »

for the Pheonix guard hit them with your dragon highborn, sure they will strike first, but thats only with 4 attacks hitting on 4's wounding on 3 (vs the rider, 6's vs the dragon) your odds on to survive (assuming a good save) and if you ran a flank charge you should be able to win the combat without too much issue (he'll have number, and a banner, you'll have flank and presumably several more wounds)

for the white lions only suggestion really would be to charge the knights and both chariots into them, the chariot impact hits should deny any return attacks then you just need to kill enough to hope you outnumber him (with your US 18) to negate his stuborn rules
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Blocks of 30 Elves!!!

Wow... Thats a Lot... I would go with the consensus on this one... Shoot them down to size.. bait them into a corner.. then hit them with chariots and something with a Lot of static CR.

That or work up a good old Number 6 on them.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin

Oops meant to say DR didn't have any command as well and don't underestimate Rxb's with full command i killed a treeman with them and the treeman charged! Best 25 points I spent... Anyway the HE bring:
Dragon Mage
16 Archers
Korhil mounted in Lion Chariot
28 Spearmen
RBT
Lion Chariot
Caradryan
30 or so PG
30 or so WL
I think thats it...
Any more help appreciated
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

OK. Your DR bait Korhil off the board, just get them directly in his way, fix it so that he either has to charge or go around. If he makes it hard by putting the chariot in the centre, do the same thing but make him follow you directly into the path of one of his big infantry blocks, or at least so it gives you a Cold One flank charge. This is all decided by which way your DR are facing. Your Dragon should probably take on and own his dragon first. If he holds, you kill him, if he flees, it'll be most likely off the board. Then send him to nut the archers(flank/rear charge), then the spearmen (rear charge). Your two units of RXBs as noted should bait one each of the WL and PG. This way, hopefully, at Turn 4, his Dragon, Archers and Spears are gone, Korhil has pursued off the table, either WL or PG are about to get charged by both chariots and Cold One Knights, and the other will get charged by all that and the Dragon next turn. Then Korhil comes back and realises he's all that's left of his beautiful army, and cheeses it back to the top of his mountain for a big sook session.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Have never faced Korhil beofre and haven't read his rules... is he really that cheesey that you want to avoid him at all costs? Or can some focused fire form an RBT or 2 eventually whillte him down or at least put him on foot?

I Never thought to send my HB on BD after my opponents dragon mage.
Next tiem I face him I think that will be one of the Flying circuses first tasks. Over kill that dragon mage. I used them to take out parked chariots last time. (my circus is a little small... just HB on BD and one peggy noble atm with 6 harpies for screens)
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Big units of White Lions and Phoenix Guard...

Post by Sulla »

Aspiring Executioner wrote:I seem to be having trouble with units of around 30 WL and PG ea. Does anyone know any effective ways of quickly 'dealing' with them?

Have you ever played a chaos force with really expensive cc units and you led them around the field with dark riders while killing all the little things for a win?

That's the strategy to use vs these big elven points sinks. If your opponent has wasted a lot of points on two big infantry units, you should never have to fight them. Redirect them off to the flanks of the field with your dark riders (and since they are only elves, you will even get good value out of rxb shots from those DR). Meanwhile, hunt his artillery, cav and any stray characters/monsters with the rest of the army. Don't even bother shooting/magicing those big blocks till you have cleansed the rest of the field.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

True. His only fast units are his Dragon and Korhil's Chariot. Your Dragon is stronger than his, and his chariot you can shoot, bait, shoot again and then break. Those enormous infantry blocks should be easy to outmanoeuvre, epsecially if you keep your infantry units small. Here's an idea for your you: field your infantry in blocks of ten, in 3-3-3-1 formation. His giant blocks will lose most of their moves in wheeling, and yours will spend almost none. This way even your infantry should easily oumaneouvre his.

You might consider having only one RBT firing exclusively at Korhil, that way he might be tempted to attack that. Fine, he can spend a 250 or 300 point character on your 100pt RBT, and if he kills it, so what? Also, he seems to have no scouts. If you can get some Shades into this list, do it. All around line of sight and march blocking are your friends, and he has absolutely nothing in his list that can stop you from doing it to him. This might be one example where a Blood shade or two might come in handy.

Even better : try these tactics one at a time, in successive games. As much fun as it is to roll a High Elf into a ball and kick him over the fence, you don't want to teach him everything you have learned all in one game...

Layne.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Aspiring executioner
Assassin

Actually he does have socuts, 5 Shadow Warriors but they're not a problem i just blast them with dark hand of death or chillwind and it usually solves the problem. Thanks for the advice i'll keep it in mind when i verse him next
Sulam
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulam »

It's important that you take down his support units first. Take a fast army that can avoid combat well. Nullify his shooting with chillwind and war machine hunters so that onl his big units remain. The dragon mage is something that has to be shot down in turn on, the mage at least. So much points in 2 T3 wounds is a steal to get VP (and a monster reaction test:D).
Then you'll have to do the trick with those big units. Only charge them if circumstances are ideal to you. You can threaten the chariot by placing units in front of terrain and flee through it. It's important that when you do this, you'll 1) win time 2) have another unit that after the failed charge (or a charge into the forest if he is really stupid) he'll have a flank exposed or so.
On the big units. On failed panic check and they'll flee. Think about spells that have much more power now like black horror, dominion and soul stealer. I'd really pack some magic against them.
Btw: If you can, play the Cult of Slaanesh. Frenzy his chariot and let him charge to doom, cast enrapturing spasms on his big units and crush them while the illusions can make one of his units useless. Let Korhill destroy his own chariot... D6 S6 hits can really hurt a dragon etc...

Sulam
|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)

Army pics: www.bretonnia.i8.com/1darkelves.html