13%
Hero
87%

Total votes: 78

Krupp
Executioner

Hag as a Hero or Hag as a Lord?

Post by Krupp »

Seems very likely that our Hag will make a comeback as a character choice.
What seems unlikely is that we will get both Lord and hero options for her. It would mean alot of character choices, an unusual amount imo. So, the question is lord or hero? What would you prefer?
Sinzaren
The Soulreiver

Post by Sinzaren »

Well from what I've heard, they will be most likely moving assassins to unit upgrades, which will leave space in the Heroes section for a Hag, looks to me like they will pop in there.
We ride with kings on mighty steeds across the Devils plain...

http://sinzaren.blogspot.com/
My Blogger Painting Blog - Full of Dark Elf goodness
Krupp
Executioner

Post by Krupp »

I'd like to see Hero, just so she can be used in smaller games.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I would guess as a replacement for the assasin. maybe with the same restriction, so it can't be the army general. Witches aren't big on higher brain function, so leading with her face as a hero seems logical.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Also see her as Hero, with return of official rules for Hellebron for lord Hag. All new books get quite a number of specials now... so Hellebron is pretty safe bet I think.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

If not both then Hero seems more likly, you can theam lists at smaller point level games and besides I think that you should be able to have a liberal smattering of preists in your army should you want to go down the religious route.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Dalamar is on a Roll... Rea dmy mind so many times today.

Hag Hero... with bound spells like an Empire warrior priest if I could cross my fingers and hope for it.

I don't know if I want to see Assassins go to unit upgrades... but I'll deal with it.
Benmannen
Beastmaster

Post by Benmannen »

Imagine 2-3 Hags on Dark Steeds in an army...

4 minimum attacks from the Hag and 2 from the steed... S4 and poision...

Awesome. Put her in a small Dark Rider unit and you have a fairly cheap dead fast flanker.
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Dogs of War and Bretonnians 40k: Dark Eldar and Chaos Renegades, BFG: Dark Eldar, Epic: Dark Eldar, Man O'War: Slaanesh Chaos

My Dark Eldarblog:
http://stefan13.typepad.com/blog
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

Both... would be cool.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I just hope they make a spectacular model for the hag. I want them to be beautiful, not old looking like Hellebron. You know, like they've just finished their yearly ritual so they are smoking hot. ;)
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

@ Khel ROFL! Just watched Stardust... this is of the utmost importance to me as well suddenly.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

c; both.
Luccann
Trainee Warrior

Post by Luccann »

As a hero, with the leadership special rule like the assasin.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I'd expect a hero with no mount options that is restricted to what units she can join. That way a player has to think carefully about which hero choice to take - a Priestess is likely to be a powerhouse in combat, but tactically limited compared to a noble.

The High Priestesses are likely to be the sort who leave the fighting to underlings as much as possible. And the Priestesses sent to battle would be more than likely fighting alongside the faithful than any old riff-raff.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Luccann wrote:As a hero, with the leadership special rule like the assasin.

Why shouldn't she lead the troops, she is a preistess, one of her number one jobs is the inspire the faithful.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Rork wrote:I'd expect a hero with no mount options that is restricted to what units she can join. That way a player has to think carefully about which hero choice to take - a Priestess is likely to be a powerhouse in combat, but tactically limited compared to a noble.

The High Priestesses are likely to be the sort who leave the fighting to underlings as much as possible. And the Priestesses sent to battle would be more than likely fighting alongside the faithful than any old riff-raff.

It's hardly overpowering for them to be mounted though, is it? Only light armour (lets assume witches will count as wearing the stuff they have modelled on them right now) and no shield option, plus frenzy. A frenzied, t3 character with, at best 4+ save is hardly overpowering. If their were lord level hags, I think they should definately be allowed manticores to ride.

Either way, there needs to be a solid reason to bring any fighter character on foot in a DE army. They are just too fragile at present. I don't see this changing with the addition of even more fragile witch characters.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Its not too over powering rules wise but it doesn't make much sense fluff wise. Surely a Hag preistes would be leading the whitch elves rather than charging around with the dark riders. Plus it means that Nobles still have a function to perform and its not allways a better option to have a preistess.

Gentleman of Moderation
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

sulla wrote:It's hardly overpowering for them to be mounted though, is it?

Give a player a brute force option, and they'll take it. Sometimes it's worthwhile to hold a metaphorical gun to a player's head to stop them doing something silly. A Priestess on a horse makes little or no sense, particularly if she ends up as part of a unit that has no particular ties to the Temple.

Either way, there needs to be a solid reason to bring any fighter character on foot in a DE army. They are just too fragile at present. I don't see this changing with the addition of even more fragile witch characters.

Quite. But we're talking outside of any particular context again. There are rumours of witches with ASF, and who can say what type of magical goodies will be on offer? The fact that GW introduced ASF to High Elves demonstrates that they seem to have an interest in infantry based armies, and I'd expect a similar attitude for Dark Elves (through other means).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Drainial Shadowheart wrote:Surely a Hag preistes would be leading the whitch elves rather than charging around with the dark riders. Plus it means that Nobles still have a function to perform and its not allways a better option to have a preistess.

By the current, rather limited fluff on hags, I'd agree. But it's hard to see a reason to introduce a character who can only join one unit in the army, especially when that unit can already be joined by the better fighting assassin (even if assassins get turned into unit upgrades, I still can't see the hag being a better fighter).

So a hag that can only join witches or act as an independant infantry model seems rather pointless to me. You'd be far better off bringing out a single special character IMO. Like the phoenix guard captain or the commander of the white lions in the HE book.

edit; Or make the unit champ a 2 wound model that can purchase up to 50pts of temple skills or magic items.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well she would be able to join any infantry unit, whitch elves or executioners would make more sense but she still could join the Black gaurd or corsairs or warriors. And she would be able to do what an assasin cannot, provide leadership (and probobly some kind of special rules/ prayers ect) And she would also be frenzied. All of that makes her very differant to either an assasin or a noble.

Gentleman of Moderation
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Well, it would make sense if the hag could have a bound spell to make the unit unbreakable: ASF witches with 3 poisoned attacks each AND unbreakable? WOW 8)
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I would love to see them, as I might be able to make atemple of Khaine list. However with what it sounds like you want, she would have to be a lord. I would make her a combat powerhouse as a hero, Lord could get that and bound spells. I also agree with Rork, no mount or at least limit units she can join. I am not sure I like the whole assassin is a unit add on but if thats what I must do to get a Hag, oh well I will get used to it.

-crazyhorse
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Hmm, witch elf hag with warrior priest style prayers would be a nifty idea.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Drainial Shadowheart wrote:Well she would be able to join any infantry unit, whitch elves or executioners would make more sense but she still could join the Black gaurd or corsairs or warriors. And she would be able to do what an assasin cannot, provide leadership (and probobly some kind of special rules/ prayers ect) And she would also be frenzied. All of that makes her very differant to either an assasin or a noble.

Would you really want a frenzied character in any infantry unit? Especially one with no armour. She just becomes a poor noble with an extra attack who involuntarily pulls her unit around the field.

And if she has prayers/ special rules etc, she will also become more expensive than a noble.

The more i think about it, the less sense it makes. Leave it as a special character i think...
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

or a lord...
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.