Movment Tray sizes for Druchii?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lah di d'har
Shade

Movment Tray sizes for Druchii?

Post by Lah di d'har »

i got some small REM (Rare Earth Magnetics) and metal stick on's to make magnitized movment trays for my Druchii. the trays are great for transport and makes playing the game alot easer. like having units half way up hills ect...

but my problem being as MSU Druchii player i tend to play with alot of diffrent unit sizes and rank widths.

i dont realy want to limit my armys flexability but if i want my army magnatizesd i would have to commit my units to limited sizes.

so what do you think is the 'ideal' sizes for movmet trays and which sizes of units would be most useful?

so far iv made some 12 model (6 wide 2ranks deep) infantry trays that also double for (5 wide cavelary trays) handy for DR or small Cok and support infantry.

and some standard 25 size (5 rank 5 wide) for spear men.

but what about the rest of the army? what would be the best sizes for units like

-crossbows which i vairy alot in size
-larger CoK units (more than 5)
-exe's
-corsairs
-blackguard
-which elves

P.S. im not sure if this question belongs here if not, please could someone move it to the correct section
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I make my movement trays out of wood about 3 mm thick. You just need to put in a little effor and you have yourself a cheap alternative, plus you can cut in whatever size you want.
Lah di d'har
Shade

Post by Lah di d'har »

I make my movement trays out of wood about 3 mm thick. You just need to put in a little effor and you have yourself a cheap alternative, plus you can cut in whatever size you want.

yep i do the same with a card board base, and then the metal sticky sheets would go on top. then by green stuffing little magnets to the bottom of the models they will stick.

you can turn them upside down and shake and they wont fall :lol:

but anyway i mean it takes time and money (for the metal stick ons) so i was wondering the 'best' sizes if there is such a thing[/quote]
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

I find the Modular Movement Tray that Games Workshop produced to be the best. 2 sheets of 10x10 (20mm) with backsides of 8x8 (25mm) allows you to make movement trays for infantry, cavalry and anything else.

Plus I got them at 50% price so it was even more worth it ;D
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

I've made custom movement trays from plastruct styrene sheet, epoxied sheet metal to the sheet, then protected three edgea with plastruct "L" beam. On the bottom of the minis bases I've epoxied sheet magnet cut to size so that they stick without fail. As a final touch, so that the trays don't slide down hills, I've glued colored sheet foam (the rubbery type, available in craft stores). The whole process takes a little more work than the GW modular trays, but is much cheaper and more versatile.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Lah di d'har
Shade

Post by Lah di d'har »

i did check out the GW Modular Movement Trays. they were pretty good but i kinda like the hand made ones more.

Lazarus ! your trays sound amazing, how does the sheet foam work? will it affect 'sliding' the unit accros the table or wheeling.

and do you have any pics of your trays on the net?
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Five replies, and none of them relate to the question asked... Interesting...

So on topic; I can say that it is probably best to use the bigger sizes, and leave them unoccupied if you decide to use smaller units. For instance, I assume you are using RxB warriors in units of 10 and sometimes 12. Make a tray that is 6x2, and use the same one when you have only 10 models. You don't need to fill every space on the tray. Going bigger is better. Having 5x2 and have two models on the side would just look odd...

~ Nag
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I like 6*2 for elite infantry. I've also got 2 6*3 just in case I ever field bigish units of witch elves or corsairs(they've gotta make them worthwhile fielding eventually, right?)

2 25mm 6*1 for the cold one knights and the stock standard 20mm 5*5 for spears and 4 25mm 5*1 for DR's.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

The sheet foam is available in art/craft supply stores, comes in a rainbow of colors for next to nothing in cost. It's about 1/16 of an inch thick and provides a fair amount of grip. Depending on the surface you're wheeling on there shouldn't be much difficulty.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Lah di d'har
Shade

Post by Lah di d'har »

great thankyou!

i started to make some trays using the sizes guys recomemded.

i wansnt sure about the xbows but Nag's advice seems soild :)

speaking of things solid do any of you guys have the GameZone coldones.
i made a tray for 6 and the thing weights a *ton* its a pain to pick up. and feels like a lead ingot :lol: