DE deserve slaves - proposal for a new unit

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

DE deserve slaves - proposal for a new unit

Post by Calisson »

Hi. I'm a newcomer in druchii.net (and worse, not an English native speaker) so please forgive me if I seem too... er... too noob.

On my rulebook, one of the stories relates a battle where 500 slaves were pushed towards the enemy. They flew away, but all were killed by DE crossbows before they could reach a safe haven.

Now, in the Beastmaster's description, they say they're in charge of slaves, human, orkish or whatever other under-race.

This, combined with the perspective of a new edition of the DE rulebook, induces me to dream of making these legends happen:
a new unit of SLAVES could be created (unless an old gamer tells me it has been made already in the past and dropped for whatever reason).

SLAVES
I would expect the slave unit to be made of 10-40 ordinary slaves, make them human if you wish, think about the flagellant warband that could be taken as a model.
We're talking most likely about a special unit.

Of course, not great fighters: lousy (ordinary) weapon, most characteristics set to 1, including Cd, except Move 4, Endurance 3. Cost very cheap, make it 2 or 3.

They must be joined by one beastmaster when they are set on the table. With a special rule stating that he is allowed to stay on the rear of the slaves rather than on their front, where he controls best them. He can leave them at wish, like any hero joining or leaving any unit.

They can be hit by both armies.

Whenever they loose morale, they run away from the DE, towards the enemy, for freedom. If they encounter any enemy unit >5, they are destroyed using standard rules (they disband). But, if ever they happen to join the opposite table side, they are freed and the opponent receives the value of the surviving slaves as bonus (in addition of the value of the "destroyed" unit).

With those rules, this new unit would be perfectly in line with DE spirit of cruelty and cynism. And the DE rulebook story would come true!

The unit is very cheap, but remember that you have to take a BM with it.

It could be a great asset in DE army, creating a moving flesh bulwark while under BM control, advancing ahead of the main bulk of DE army to the frustration of the opponent's sorceress and bowmen. When the BM leaves the unit, it can keep moving under DE control towards the enemy as long as nobody forces a morale dice, hampering the opponent's movements (they are not wasting a charge against low-cost slaves, are they?). If ever the slaves start running away, the opponent will be tempted to open a wide escape route, hence changing wholefully his positioning.

I don't play often enough to try this unit again and again and propose to make it official. But what do you guys would think of it?
Soulsmith
Dark Rider

Post by Soulsmith »

I personally dont think DE would use their, face it, valuable slaves. they are needed to keep the economy going.
Forging souls anew....

Name : Ildren Vrak'nair
Height and Weight : 5'11, 85kg
Character Age : 164
Class: Warrior
(WS): 4
(S): 4
(T): 3
(D): 3
(I): 4
EQUIPMENT
Warrior: Long Sword, Shield, Light Armour.
SKILLS
None
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

There have already been a few discussions on this, there are few examples of slaves used to fight in battle. To Druchii, slaves are like currency, and you don't throw coins and bills at people hoping to stop them, you'll just lose money (and probably the fight).

although I do like how much thought you put into this, it's just a little sad that it probably wont happen.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »