Highborn on a dragon, what to give him?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lord of indecision
Slave on the Altar

Highborn on a dragon, what to give him?

Post by Lord of indecision »

I've currently got a highborn riding a Black Dragon in my army. I'm trying to use him as a sort of "comet of destruction" in games. Tearing through enemy units, preying on the weak and the artillery crews, Making the more fearful units run... pretty much what anyone could ever spire to. Here's what I've given Him.

Repeater Crossbow
Heavy armor
Sea Dragon Cloak
Black Dragon
Executioner's Axe
Blood Armor

all in all, he's 565 points of terrer-causing strength 8 goodness (blood armor should become effective fast)

Any tips/suggestions on this equipment, or on how I should use this fellow?
Scientists have prooved that birthdays are beneficial to your health. The more you have, the longer you live.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I think he's too fragile, no ward save = too easy to kill since AS is easy to pass through.

I prefer this setup:

Lance, Sea Dragon cloak, Shield
Armour of Ethernal Living
Crown of Black Iron

In this way, he has a little 4+(/3+), 5+ ward and 4+ Regen Which will make him survive.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

The Axe is suboptimal at best; take the Gaunlet if you must have uber strength. I prefer lance, Enchanted Shield and full mundane. This keeps him cheap while having a lot of the hitting power a magic weapon would give him... and better protection. Apart from the Heartstone, there are no Wards I'd like on a Dragonlord.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

I prefer; (If you can use SoC items)

Draich of Dark Power
Hearthstone of Darkness
Heavy Armour, Shield, Seadragon Cloak.

S6, Killing Blow, 4+/2+ AS, 4+ WS.

(Or Use Crimson Death and Blood Armour instead of Draich of Dark Power, for a 1+ Armoursave)
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Black Amulet, Enchanted Shield and a good ol' Lance.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Lord aldarith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lord aldarith »

Mine is equipped as follows :
Gauntlet (60)
Heartstone of Darkness (40)
Heavy Armor
Sea Dragon Cloak
Shield
That's :
4 attacks at S8 Strike last ignoring AS for the HB
6 attacks at S6 for the Dragon
AS 2+ (Shoot)/4+ (CC) for the HB
WS 4+
Striking last can be a liability largely compensated by the fact that you generally break any small unit in one turn. For larger units, combine charges with infantry or flank. Never lost a game with this combination although my Dragon died a couple of times because of those pesky empire or dwarven cannons.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Recently my dragonlord is riding around in:
Armour of Eternal Serviture
Crown of Black Iron
Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Halberd

3+/5+ As 5+ ward and regeneration. in two battles I've used him he didn't get a single wound on (one against Wood Elves, one against Lizardmen, both won)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Aldarith: your HB is illegal because the heartstone of Darkness costs more points than you calculated for it (perhaps you meant mystical shield of light). And also: don't post the costs of individual items here please - that is against the copyright if I'm not mistaken.

If I were to use a Highborn on Dragon (not that I intend on doing it any time soon though :D ) I would go for full protection (2+ Armor, 4+ Ward) and lance...

EDIT: Yay!!! 1200 posts...

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Idealy I would run mine as

HB
Dragon
Crimson death
Heartstone of darkness
Heavy armour
Sea dragon cloak
Sheild.

2+ save against shooting, 4+ ward and a grand total of ten strength 6 attacksin close combat. Admitadly once in CC his armour save is pathetic, but at that point you shouldn't be leaving much to attack you back anyway.

If you dont use the alternate items then simply substitute the Heart stone for the crown, its not as good but its the best we can get our hands on for the price.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

I would like the Crimson Death, but I'd probably bring the Draich of Dark Power instead (I think that's the one that woulnds auto if you hit on 5 or 6)
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

Mine has:
lance
heavy armour
sea dragon cloak
(enchanted) shield
heart-stone of darkness.

Never needed more. I've been thinking about dropping the heart-stone though.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

jayferd22 wrote:I would like the Crimson Death, but I'd probably bring the Draich of Dark Power instead (I think that's the one that woulnds auto if you hit on 5 or 6)

That's Blade of Spite, and it's rather weak considering you might wound automatically if you hit on 5 or 6, but with pitiful S of 4 you won't get trough any armour. It's much better to wound on 2+/3+ but crack some cans in the process.
Steve tu
Beastmaster

Post by Steve tu »

Crimson death
Heartstone of darkness
Blood Armour
Sea dragon cloak
Sheild.

The classic ones are the best.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

am I the only one who thinks blood armour is second worst armour in our list? (armour of darkness being the first)
You can achieve same effect with mundane equipment for less points... so why bother?
7th edition army book:

Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

jayferd22 wrote:I would like the Crimson Death, but I'd probably bring the Draich of Dark Power instead (I think that's the one that woulnds auto if you hit on 5 or 6)

No, Draich of Dark Power gives you +2 Strength and Killing Blow.

Your thinking of the Blade of Spite.
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

Personally, I like Davieste's, but with just the following:

Crimson Death (35)
Heartstone of Darkness (45)
Blood Armour (20)
Anything else you see fit (points permiting) other than SDC, Sh, GW or halberd

A nice little combo that yields 10 S6 attacks all together from both lord and dragon. Just put him up against a nice small unit of enemy Core to get his armour up before rushing off to combat the rest. I see no need to have the SDC and Sh, because a) they only make it faster to get to the 1+ AS, which is only 4 wounds, and b) the shield can't be used with Crimson Death, which needs 2 hands to use.
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Kurhalth
Dark Rider

Post by Kurhalth »

Dalamar wrote:am I the only one who thinks blood armour is second worst armour in our list? (armour of darkness being the first)
You can achieve same effect with mundane equipment for less points... so why bother?

How? The Blood armor can get a total save of 1+ while Heavy Armor, Shield, and Sea Dragon Cloak is only a 3+/2+. On a cold one mundane equipment could get a 1+ save but this is about a Highborn on Dragon.

Two posters, Drainial Shadowheart and Prince Daerlythe, said that they can get a total of 10 S6 attacks, but our Dragon only has 5 attacks and our Highborn 4 attacks which equals 9 attacks total.

For my Highborn on Dragon I like
Heart Stone of Darkness
Lance
Heavy Armor
Enchanted Shield
Sea Dragon Cloak

or if I want to spend the points I switch out the lance, Heavy Armor, and Enchanted Shield for Blood Armor, Shield, and Crimson Death
Steal from the rich, steal from the poor, and then slaughter them all.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Dalamar wrote:am I the only one who thinks blood armour is second worst armour in our list? (armour of darkness being the first)
I agree it's a bit redundant on fighties. A BM or BSB really benefits from it since neither can take a (Enchanted :lol: ) shield.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

1+ at the end of the game and 5+ at the start or 2+ from the very beginning... I'll take 2+ from the beginning, since the closer it is to the end the less it matters.
7th edition army book:

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

No, the Armour of Darkness and the Blood Armour aren't bad items, I think they aren't meant to be for mounted heroes and, in addition, not for highborn.

The Armour of Darkness, I think it's good for a Noble on foot.

The Blood Armour, in my opinion, it's the best armour for a Beastmaster, BSB or Noble with a Great Weapon.

But that's my opinion.
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

1st off, sorry about my last post, i forgot that DE vdragons only have 5 attacks. it should be 9 S6 attacks.

2nd: I disagree that Blood Armour isn't for mounted characters. If it lets me get a 1+ AS after 4 wounds, I say take it. Just get him into CC ASAP with a block of small infantry or light cavalry (ex. an Empire detachment of 10 halberdiers, or a group of skaven clanrat slaves) to start off. His superior characteristics will blow them away and give him his 1+ armour save. Then you send in a quick support to get him out of combat faster and he's flying around causing mayhem with a 1+ AS and a 4+ Ward Save for the rest of the game. Max time required, probably 3 turns, 2 if you do it right.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I said it's useless because AS is overrated. With a lot of S6+ out there or things with no AS allowed, even if you have 1+ AS, it's pretty useless. I prefer Ward saves and regen for those characters.

That's why I'm not a fan of Blood Armour or Armour of Darkness for a Highborn on monstrous mount.
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

that's where high initiative (unless against a HE or ASF model) combined with flight and (if you have it) a little shadow magic comes in handy for taking down your enemy before they can strike back. 9 S6 attacks at WS 6-7 ought to do that against someone with the same theory.

Besides, I usually have a RBT around to cut down any monsters or bodyguards the character has.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

When on a dragon, what you're afraid of is warmachines
warmachines generally do not allow armour save
case closed.
7th edition army book:

Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

And that's where a good suppluy of Chillwind (presuming of course we still have it in the new book when it comes out) and some Shades come in handy. Go behind the lines, take out the most threatening war machine.

That, or, luck permiting, have a sorceress ready to use Unseen Lurker to get him into combat on turn 1.