Tips on using my 2150 list at an up coming tournament

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Tips on using my 2150 list at an up coming tournament

Post by Holt »

I am entering a tournament in just under a month from now and have put togeather a list a little different from what I would usualy use.

Normaly I take a couple of RBTs and alot more smaller units, going for the MSU style. This time I only have 9 deployments (so 8 units not counting characters) and no RBTs, so I wont be able to ue them to control enemy movement. This gives me quite a different style to play around with and can aford even less to lose any units.

Im posting this list here just to get some ideas of how i could use it, Ive got a couple of chances to test play it before the tournament. As I go threw the list I'll give some explanations of what I plan to do with each unit and feel free to pick holes in my plans and give advice.

(250) Highborn: Shield of Ghrond, Crown of Black Iron, lance, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, cold one mount.
This guy is to lead the Coks and is armed with a lance because its a great cheap weapon and I dont plan on him been in combat after the first round, although the armour and CoBI is there just incase he is involved with a challenge or there is anyone left to hit back.

(197) Noble: BSB, Hydra banner, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, dark steed mount.
Bearing the Hydra Banner I have had great success with him in a unit of CoKs but as they are been joined by my general they should be strong enough and there are other units that would also benifit from the boost, and so into the unit of Exes he goes. 11 attacks from them can be very devastating, on top of the attacks from the BSB if he unfortunatly gets dragged into combat.

(179) Assassin: 2 hand weapons, Rune of Khaine, Manbane.
Not the most common DE choice to see anywhere near a tournament and thats just the reason why theres one in my list. Very very few people are going to expect this suprise. The only other foot troops apart from my Exes are my Warriors and the few times I have taken an Assassin he has done well in this unit. The 3 ranks, standard, and hopefully outnumber go well with the extra kills that come from the Assassin, hopefuly keeping the balance of the combat on my side.

(140) Sorceress: Seal of Ghrond, dispel scroll.
Im not much of a fan of taking scroll caddies, even thought with only one scroll she isnt that much of a caddy :?, but with only having one extra hero slot left I didnt see the point of trying to upgrade a lvl2 to try get a few spells off, that would more than likely be dispelled. I no that I am going to struggle with my opponents magic phase but I can prioritise what spells I dispel and get rid of enemy mages asap. (Plus Ive converted an cranky old lady model from Mordihiem(sp?) to have a scroll pouch and managed to pull off a decent paint job so I want to show it off a little.)

(193) 21 Warriors: fc, shields.
For my static combat res. and to capture objectives etc. Last tournament this block of 20 proved to be very helpfull with exactly this and so I couldnt leave them out. Also with the Assassin they can be quite good. (11str3 attacks and 5 attacks up to str6 isnt that bad)

(127) 5 Dark Riders: Rxbows, musician.

(127) 5 Dark Riders: Rxbows, musician.
Mainly used to get inbehind my opponents and shoot off a model from each unit to take away a rank bonus, its only one rank but it counts in the end. Ive also had success negating ranks with these guys when Im willing to get them into combat. I also use these 2 units, along with the Harpies, to set up a false deployment to put off my opponent a little, not the easiest thing to do with so few units though.

(215) 5 Cold One Knights: fc Warbanner.
Usually deployed on a flank they are usually the unit to be flanking my enemy. Along with my General and Warbanner they have also managed to take on units in the front when given no other choice.

(196) 11 Executioners: fc, Banner of Murder.
Some of my favourite models in our army, both astheticaly and by their rules, these guys will be included to sit next to my Warriors, or closeish to them this will give me a small base for the rest of my army to focus around. The BoM in this unit is always a suprise to my opponent and is great help if they have stayed that extra inch back thinking this will get them the charge. Combined with the BSBs banner and re-rolls they do well when supported by the DRs.

(287) Mengils Manflayers: no additional flayers
I like to use these guys in a unit of 10, mostly because I have this many models and because they always make their points back with posioned wepons. Due to the points restriction I have reducd them to a unit of 6. I dont usually scout them as it tends to leave them out unsuported but having them runing around knocking off ranks and supporting my Warriors and Exes is very helpfull.

(65) 5 Harpies
Used as usual to take out warmachines. I wantd to have 7 but thats just the way points worked out. Also handy to have behind units when i make them flee, either from combat or using the Terror from my rare choice....

(173) 1 Rhinox Rider: heavy armour, ironfist, musician, bull rhinox
Just because I saw i could take one in the tournament rules and it also pushed me to sinish my conversion from a toy Rhino(which has turned out quite nice for a $2 toy, about $1 for the Americans.) For the points it cost it is very good and I will be using it to support my Warriors. Keeping it close to them will drag it into combat with almost every opponent, meaning Terror tests will need to be made. This also stops anyone trying to flank my Warriors and negate ranks. Also the T5 is a great addition and that makes this model a great anvil. With all the upgrades he also has a 2+ armour save and he has been upgraded to a musician just incase it ends up running, Heres hoping it wont but just incase.

So there you have it post away. If I have left anything out(I probably have) please let me know, o and keep in mind that I am not able to change the list in anyway as I have already sent it in :)
Last edited by Holt on Wed May 07, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Nothing at all?
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Normally when playing in an MSU style, you have cheaper units (everything under 150 pts per unit excepting characters). Your units are small and highly elite which makes for vulnerable play. If you're playing more novices, they'll likely be scared of the rhinox and waste a lot of effort on it. If you're playing vets, they'll concentrate on the vulnerable stuff, like the execs and just blast them away.

In the end, I see difficulties in meshing the army all together when you need it. You have some units that are obvious plug and play units that need to close quickly and do direct damage with little in the way of support while at the same time having some finesse units in the principle of MSU.

So, if I were you, I'd change up some of the hero choices to make them less costly (I've never found a use for a lord in MSU, and normally not an assassin either since he's too much of a defensive weapon in most cases), drop a couple magic banners to free up some points and add a couple more units into the mix (also drop Menghil - way too expensive in an army that needs to close quickly).

Otherwise, if you're looking for tactics, its pretty self-explanatory I think. Rush with what needs rushing, defend with the warriors + assassin, screen and bait with DR and hope to punch through where you make contact.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

When I do play MSU I do try to keep the cost of my units down but doing this time after time has made me a bit bored of playing that way so I thought I would try something I find a litle more difficult, making the most out of each unit while ignoring areas of my opponents army so that I could deal damage to the units that I know will get me the win.

The first game I played with this list the Exes were tied up during about turn 2-6 with a large unit os costly orcs. They didnt kill any of them as they would be unable to take a charge from them but they did take them out of the game by moving the unit away from where it was needed. This stopped my opponent from been able to use this unit to get more points than it was worth so I think this was successfull for me, even though I did lose the Exes.

Usualy I wouldnt even think about taking the Assassin, and Im hoping this is how most people look at a DE list so it will have the suprise factor behind it which deffinitly counts for alot when Im using so few units.

The tactics youve stated are pretty much what I did so it looks like Im on the right track in that area.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I learned the hard way that you need one more Cold One Knight to get the benefit of a 'Look Out Sir!" versus cannonballs assuming one of those folks is a champion. I'd squeeze in one more if you could.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Oh I didnt know that. Looks like Im going to have to finish up my 6th CoK to stop that from happening. It is too late to add him too this list but if Im ever facing an army where this could be an issue I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Or I could just save some points and take away the champion, owell thats for another time to decide.