Metal vs. Plastc Corsairs

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Black corsair
Trainee Warrior

Metal vs. Plastc Corsairs

Post by Black corsair »

I personally use Corsairs in every game of Fantasy I play with my DEs. I am excited about the possible new models and rules, but I have 22 metal Corsairs.

I still plan on using them as my main unit of Black Ark Corsairs, with the plastic ones splitting up and doing more of a flank/rear charge tactic.

So my questions is: Will you scrap your metals for all plastic or still hold on to your old metals?
Draichen
Executioner

Post by Draichen »

I personally will still use the matels even if the plastics look great (mind you the metals cost me to much not to use them)
Abandon all hope ye who enter here!!!
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

I don't have many metals for the corsairs currently. The ones I have will likely still find use though as the models were great and I really like the command group models.
Black corsair
Trainee Warrior

Post by Black corsair »

I feel the same way. I might have to buy another box of the metals before August. I'd like to have more.

How many come in a box? I can't remember.
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

All the metal infantry are packed 10 to a box.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I have 50 metal corsairs right now, so unless I find that I need more, there will be no purchasing for me of the plastic kind. I like metal models better anyways and I find them a better models to paint than plastics anyways.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I own 20 corsairs right now... so if their rules improve well enough I'll get at least a box of new corsairs

heck... who am I kidding? I'll get at least a box anyway >.>
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Black corsair
Trainee Warrior

Post by Black corsair »

I like them because of the whole pirate/raider idea.
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

I don't own any. So I guess plastics for me then.
Les yuex sans le vie
Les magots ont infesté cadaver
Montagne du crane
Quelque du chose mon favorite.....
Arcadian
Shade

Post by Arcadian »

I own a unit of twenty, with full command for two units of ten. I will still likely buy at least two boxes of the plastics as the customization of plastics is so easy and the fact that even if I dont use the sprues for Corsairs, they will be great mod bitz for a Dark elves army if the more recent plastics are any indication.
Chocolate is a gift & murder's a gift, ergo, murder and chocolate are sisters.
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

I have none, although I do say that if the plastic corsairs are anything like the metal ones, I'll probably get a box to use for conversion pieces. When it comes to converting for us, we don't have much, but what we do have (and what we can add with some logic, like Slaaneshi parts) are out of this world.
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Khalius
Trainee Warrior

Post by Khalius »

The Spearhead will be my first corsairs... late July. So plastics I suppose.
Are the people who prefer metal minis going to do any RxB conversions, to take advantage of the rumoured RxB pistols?
Do I need a signature... oh well
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

I just hope when they release them they have 20 to a box, this new craze of putting 10 to a box and doubling the price per model is just ridiculous. I've got a unit of Corsairs for my DE army, and if the costs wheren't such an issue i'd certainly invest in another unit. Waiting for the new plastics to come out then pick up the pewter ones for cheap as companies clear thier stock of them.
Mime
Black Guard

Post by Mime »

I'm going to wait till I see what they look like before I decide.

I have 20 now so wont be forced to purchase any, then again if they look as good as the CO hint from another post I will be getting a box at least.
Whip me, beat me, bash me, crash me, throw me against the wall, oh ah baby I love it when you treat me rough!!!
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

Agreed. Although I prefer to use warriors (4+ As in CC), Corsairs are too dang expensive at the moment to be a mainstay unit in a DE army. Maybe when the new corsairs come out, maybe.
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

I have 20 metal corsairs. Wheter I will use them still in the future depends of wheter the new plastic ones are pretty or ugly. I guess they will be pretty. I might save a few ones to act as champions of the groups though..
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

What will make or break the models is how they execute the Sea Dragon Cloak. The main appeal of the ones on the pewter models is that they look quite fine, they drape over the model nicely. It limits them to producing a full body part with the cloak allready attached, or something like what they did for the Chaos Warriors in the way the main body allready has the cloak.

If they do something like the empire knigihts sprue and have the cloak floating off the model....I can't see it working.
Carl weathers
Warrior

Post by Carl weathers »

I don't use corsairs myself, but I'm going to get a box or two on principle alone.

I see what Hali is saying about the empire knight cloaks, and agree to a point, but hopefully the sdc's will be molded as separate pieces on at least some of the figures. Ergo I can have one unit of ten, and a whole box worth of conversion bits.

Sea Dragon Cloaks for everybody!
"The slow blade penetrates the shield."
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Metal vs. Plastc Corsairs

Post by Sulla »

Black Corsair wrote:So my questions is: Will you scrap your metals for all plastic or still hold on to your old metals?

Depending on whether DE infantry is any better than it is now, I will either continue to not use my current ones or supplement them with the new ones. i would like 3 units of them depending on how good they are.
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

I personally don't have any corsairs at the moment, and so I am waiting for the photos of the new plastic corsairs (IF we get them) - when I see them, I will make the decision whether to buy 20-30 metal corsairs before they are replaced by the plastic ones or not to and buy the cheaper plastic ones when they're out. This depends purely on how the looks of the new corsairs compare to the old ones.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

I currently have 18 Corsairs and after all the time and money I have put tin them I definitly won't 'scrap' them for the new ones. But If they look good I might consider adding another units.
Warriors might be tactically better but Corsairs look better and don't fall to pieces all the time.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Halbarad
Executioner

Post by Halbarad »

I have about 40 metal corsairs and would love to get plastic ones but it depends on the quality of the model and how many pieces it's in, if it's like the Chaos Warriors then I'm going to be a bit more reluctant to buy them as they all look too similar for my liking.
I live on the edge. Between Life and Death, Light and Dark, Insanity and Genius. I protect you all from what you truly are and what I know you to be.
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

They could do the claoks like Glade Guard........ of course the still doesn't drape well....
Les yuex sans le vie
Les magots ont infesté cadaver
Montagne du crane
Quelque du chose mon favorite.....
Vogon
Highborn

Post by Vogon »

I will continue to use my metal models. I see no point in buying replacements when I have two units of perfectly serviceable models right now.

If they look really good then I might get a box in addition but if they don’t then it’s no big deal I’ll just use the ones I already have. Mind you it also depends upon their rules in the new book.

Cheers

Vogon
Now choose either die in the vacuum of space or...........
Tell me how good you thought my poem was.

**Make Tea Not War**
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

I'll probably combine the new corsairs coming out with the current ones. I currently have 5th edition COK's with my 6th Edition COK's and they look just fine together. As far as replacing the 60 dollars of corsairs with plastics. NO WAY. Money already invested
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think