New Pics! Horay!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Lord Tareq wrote:Noooo!! What have they done to my beautiful Cold One Knights :shock: The Cold Ones look okey, not as cool as the one by Jes Goodwin, but an improvement over the current ones nonetheless. But the knights are absolutely horrible! :? What happened to the bad-ass helmets of the current knights :cry:

I've come to the conclusion that COK can either have decent riders (6th ed) or decent mounts (5th ed/7th ed) but never both.

COK are victims of some bizarre quantum modelling experiment.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Livefromnaggaroth
Executioner

Post by Livefromnaggaroth »

It's going to be a plastic kit so let's hope there's some extra heads in there. The armour looks pretty mean.
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

It is a shame, really. There are plenty of good-looking helmets in army book illustrations and concept art and yet they fail to translate them onto the miniatures.
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

My thoughts exactly. WEll, I have to admit that I wasn't too keen on last edition's COK's, either, but they certainly looked better than these pictures. Can't really complain about the CO's they are really, really, decent. However, bear in mind that this is just a rather bad picture, it is possible that a LOT can be done with different paint-jobs and quite possibly with the additional parts given in the plastic kits.
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

As I was told many times by people who saw the models live - those photos don't give them justice.

And I agree, most of the photos are blurry or at weird angles (like the hydra with full frontal shot making it look like its heads are huge compared to the rest of the body)
Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Dreadlord on CO with a straight blade???
DE have curved and barbed blades!!!!!!!

It won't fit with my army.....

Sorceress on foot seems interesting.
Sorceress on CO must be beheaded.....

Not satisified with top knots.
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Once again the photo's are crap.

The actually models are great. Especially because they are PLASTIC. And one can make amazing models using all the cool options included in the COK box. Therefore your COK can look like they are charging. Or something like that. Makes them more dynamic. I also have a feeling that those are not your only head options.

Like most plastic kits there are probably enough heads in there to mix and match a few so that all of your knights could be bare headed or fully helmeted. Some of those helmets are pretty decent.

I also like the raised devices on their shields. Matches the spearmen, and if you want you probably can have blank ones to paint your own device.

I never really liked the present COK. I thought their helmets looked completly stupid quite frankly. Never used the unit as they looked so bad and the rules were so bad as well.

The new CO's are amazing. They actually look like they might tear somethings face off. Best GW CO of all of them so far. I know, I own every single type of CO model GW has produced. Every one.

Perhaps putting these heads on a battle cow might make for an excellent conversion for those of you who like your CO's with a bit more meat on them?

Tough to comment on the banner as you cannot see it as it's one of the new style Druchii ones like the corsair one, flapping backwards in the breeze.

As for the hydra I appologize to Trish. She made a very good model when I was all sceptical. And it only has one small tounge. So that's a good comprimise IMHO.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

The hell.. so Corsairs will have the option to wield shields now?

Rork wrote:The highborn looks rather rubbish, though. Looks like they've taken some of the 4th/5th ed style and mashed it together with the Slaanesh Champion on foot.

The corsairs are pretty spectacular by comparison, though.

Agree.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Fr0 wrote:The hell.. so Corsairs will have the option to wield shields now?

<sigh> no they won't.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

You sure about that Dalamar? But it sure doesn't look like it, would be awesome if they could though.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

I never really liked the present COK. I thought their helmets looked completly stupid quite frankly.

And you do like the helmets on the CoK on the picture? Not meant offensively or anything, I just wonder (and hope) if you've seen more of them than I do ;)

And about the shields, I don't think they can wield them either, more likely it is a mistake. The german WD does not mention shields on corsairs either.
Carl weathers
Warrior

Post by Carl weathers »

Come on guys, give the models a chance!

We've had like no character models for years, and when gw finally gets around to putting some together for us, the general consensus is that they stink; all based on a few small and grainy photos. Seems a bit ungrateful to me..

I'm just saying, lets give it some time, and stay the hand of judgement until we at least get some nice pics. Besides, they're not sooooo bad, are they?
"The slow blade penetrates the shield."
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

Carl Weathers wrote:Come on guys, give the models a chance!

We've had like no character models for years, and when gw finally gets around to putting some together for us, the general consensus is that they stink; all based on a few small and grainy photos. Seems a bit ungrateful to me..

I'm just saying, lets give it some time, and stay the hand of judgement until we at least get some nice pics. Besides, they're not sooooo bad, are they?

Sorry but just because GW has neglected the Dark Elves for the past years doesn't mean we should all be obedient happy fan-boys when they finally do release new models. From the pictures I've seen so far I can with certainty say that overall I find the new models a slight dissapointment. There is only so much a bad picture can do, and negatively changing poses, heads and weapon-style are not amongst them.
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Prinny
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Prinny »

Carl Weathers wrote:Come on guys, give the models a chance!

It's not that the new models look bad...they just like worse compared to 6th ed. On their own I really have no complaints.
Carl weathers
Warrior

Post by Carl weathers »

If the models do not fit what in your mind was what druchii models should look like, at least try to see the bigger picture and the potential for conversions and modding.

Sure, they may not have the most dynamic poses or spikiest weapons or whatever it is that defines druchii to you, but give them a chance. Most of us have had to convert our lords and characters over the years of drought, so we we're no strangers to that department. What these models may or may not lack in potential is only up to your imagination.

With the new plastics and characters (bits and chunks of pewter), I see a limitless amount of possibility to put together a really badass army, led by some really badass characters as fits my own vision of druchii badassness.

And aren't fanboys generally overly critical and negative? I agree, don't be a mindless fanboy, but see the greater scope of possibility now that we actually have some new models.
"The slow blade penetrates the shield."
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

And aren't fanboys generally overly critical and negative? I agree, don't be a mindless fanboy, but see the greater scope of possibility now that we actually have some new models.

I have noticed this to be true as well. The biggest fans of the game actually have the most critical things to say most of the time.

I do not agree that the models look worse compared to 6th ed. The CO's amazing, the sorceress is plain awesome, the mounted sorceress is very good, corsairs are probably the second best models in the line now (after Black Guard) and the hydra is much much much better than the crappy one we have now. It at least looks scary and big!

If the COK look mediocre (actually they are pretty good IMHO but that's just me) and the nobles on foot/mounted heads are not so good thats a pretty good run of new models right there.

Lets call it a mixed bag an move along.

BTW wait till you see the new assassins should they release them. They are very good overall.
Arcadian
Shade

Post by Arcadian »

Well, The one thing that has me excited about it is that these are plastics. That means I may well look at two boxes of corsairs, another box or two of warriors, and a couple of cold one boxes as well. I've never used Cold ones, though I liked the figures of the 6th edition, I just never 'got into' them, proxied them once or twice using alt minis but never loved the unit the way others did.

Now I've gotten to where I want to have a unit even if its not part of my regular plans. I aso want a unit of Corsairs with hand xbows, cause they look fun to paint. I figure if I'm not one hundred percent into the new cold ones I can mix and match stuff from the plastic warrior and corsair kits to dress them up some.
Chocolate is a gift & murder's a gift, ergo, murder and chocolate are sisters.
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

There`s always going to be very mixed reactions to any new miniature releases. Especially from dedicated fans of a particular Army scheduled for re-release.

I remember when the 6th Ed. miniature range made an appearance (before this hallowed site existed), replacing ye olde 5th Ed. range in early 2001 I think. Many gamers I spoke with disliked the COK`s, disliked the Witch Elves (too skinny they said), and some even disliked the Exe`s (how I don`t know, something to do with Axes...). If you read recent posts, there are still those who aren`t particularly enamoured with various models and units, some of which are generally considered superb.

I recall thinking that the 6th Ed. release was like a dream come true. A sinister, elegant, thoroughly evil looking range, replacing the adequate but rather chunky uninspiring 5th Ed. range. Sculptors like Chris Fitzpatrick (Black Guard, Witch Elves etc.) and Juan Diaz (Executioners etc.) transformed the Army into a thing of malevolant beauty. Apart from the oft maligned `Battlecows` (which were, and still are truely awful), I liked the whole previous range. It was a great improvement.

Trouble is, I reckon the sculptors of 6th Ed. set the bar too high. Sure, there is much scope for Character models, Cold Ones, Hydra, etc., but many of the previous range are still more than excellent. Despite the goodness of the new plastic Corsairs, I still maintain the 6th ed. metal minis are awesome. Plastic Corsairs are a cheaper, more flexible, and welcome addition, but I still love the old ones. COK`s can definately be improved on (particularly the mounts), and despite the lovely lines of the current riders, I find all of them with fully enclosed helms makes them too anonymous. The odd bare head with wicked expression allows more characterisation of the rider. Especially considering they`re all meant to be Nobles to some degree. To my eye, it would be near impossible to improve much on Black Guard and Executioners, but that`s just because they fit my image of the unit. Many will disagree.

As sculptors get better, plastic and molding technology improve, and the demand for excellence grows, new miniatures will continue to dazzle. But it`s a very subjective area (miniature appreciation). Some will always love what some others loathe.

I`m reserving judgement until I see crisp colour photos of the new releases. And even then, I`ll still probably buy everything in sight for completeness sake.

Until you get your grubby mitts on a new model, and check it RIGHT out, it`s hard to really tell what you think of it.
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

the way it looks atm the only model I'm interested in is the sorc on foot, maybe the mtd one (with a head swap) but as a lot of people have pointed out I'll want to see better photos of the others before I decide if I want to buy any other models.
Survivor
Shade

Post by Survivor »

Underway wrote:

I have noticed this to be true as well. The biggest fans of the game actually have the most critical things to say most of the time.

I do not agree that the models look worse compared to 6th ed. The CO's amazing, the sorceress is plain awesome, the mounted sorceress is very good, corsairs are probably the second best models in the line now (after Black Guard) and the hydra is much much much better than the crappy one we have now. It at least looks scary and big!

If the COK look mediocre (actually they are pretty good IMHO but that's just me) and the nobles on foot/mounted heads are not so good thats a pretty good run of new models right there.

Lets call it a mixed bag an move along.
BTW wait till you see the new assassins should they release them. They are very good overall.

Hi Underway. I agree with you that there seem to be a number of improved models on the way. The Hydra for instance as you say is going to look scary and very imposing on the tabletop.
However, you hit the nail on the head when you said "Lets call it a mixed bag". For that is the problem with the Dark Elf range. It`s a mixed bag. Great minis mixed with not-so-great. Wether they are brilliant or maybe not quite so brilliant but just decent, what I`d like to see one day is consistency across the range. It`s weird to have your opponent at the start of the game whilst you are placing your units to gasp in wonder one moment and then start snickering the next as you place a not-so-good figure upon the tabletop. "I can`t believe they released that, and you bought it!" is quite a disconcerting comment to hear before a game. But in the real world it might never happen. You would need one sculptor to be locked away for a few years to work on the entire range and nothing else. Doing a few units with different sculptors every 6 or 7 years is never going to work the way I`d really like it to. I think your best bet for a consistent army is to pick a themed army. I know you can tailor your army to an extent but I would like to see more official themed army lists.
Anyway, I`m still looking forward to the new release. As a number of people have already said, the plastic sets should open up a number of possibilities.
It is time...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Survivor wrote:It`s weird to have your opponent at the start of the game whilst you are placing your units to gasp in wonder one moment and then start snickering the next as you place a not-so-good figure upon the tabletop. "I can`t believe they released that, and you bought it!" is quite a disconcerting comment to hear before a game.

If that happens you just snicker very Druchii like and proceed to wipe the table with his army doing the most damage with that single model :twisted:
Katash
Executioner
Location: On a ship in a little glass bottle trying to figure out how I got here

Post by Katash »

I actually really like all the new models, if you put any single one in your current DE force it's going to look bad, but together the models really complement each other.
Thus will it come to pass.
The dying leader will know
the truth of the opera house.
The missing three will give you the five
who have come from the home of the 13th.
You are the harbinger of death, kara thrace.
You will lead them all to their end.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

What do mean "if" they release the new assassins ? I thought that they had already been listed in the new dark elves order list. Ok, not necesarily in the spearhead, but they were listed, right ?
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Malekith's psychologist
Beastmaster
Location: can't u feel my breath on the back of ur neck?maybe the cold steel on ur throat gives u a clue

Post by Malekith's psychologist »

Ermm...anyone noticed that the Hydra handlers seem to be wearing sea-dragon cloaks??
DiscipleOfKhaine said:
Im not saying that makes them unworthy of a model, Im just saying...that Malekith is the greatest elven king in the history of the world and I will never concede otherwise.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

So did manticore beastmaster originally, didn't mean a thing until we got our revision though.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16