A Little Help.... =\

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Caboose
Warrior

A Little Help.... =\

Post by Caboose »

Hey all! I am new to the Forums and new to the Druchii. Been playing mostly 40k lately and just got back into WHFB for the first time in about 10 years.....First army was Orcs & Goblins back in 4th Ed. I think. Anywho, Since I just got back into FB, having sold my O&Gs years ago, I saw the Druchii models and fell in love....But I digress....haha

Soooo....I have been having a VERY difficult time with the army. Not sure if It's the lack of certain units or if it's something I am doing wrong, or most likely, a combination of both. I cast my vote for option "C." haha Anywho, it has been so long that I feel like I have lost the mind set of WHFB a bit.

My friends and I are currently playing 1,000pt. battles currently and will be moving up to 1,500 soon....But I just feel like no matter what I try, it isn't working. I would say that 80% of the time I am able to get the charge with my units, I break them, then my luck does a 180....next thing I know, I am the one running and getting wiped by another unit. Since I started playing again, I have lost to each of the following once: Skaven, Tomb Kings, Empire, and Vampires. :( I played our lost High Elven brothers and came up with a tie. :?

My God....40k has ruined me....lol Are their any units that I should avoid in such a small army as a 1,000pt. list? Are their units that are considered "essential" to the list? Any help or advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated......I REALLY wanna stick it the Bretonnian player in our group next weekend. hehe :twisted:

Well, thank you once again in advance from your fellow Druchii player!! :D
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

first of all welcome to druchii net i hop eyou'll enjoy your time here.

well let's take a look at your problems...you know if you could post your armylist in the list section and/or add a link here that would be great as it's really hard to give advice without your army.
however you asked about essential units, i think dark riders are our most incredible unit ever:they're fast and can shoot and they fulfill a lot of roles:march-blocker, shooting unit, flankers, bait, and these are just some of their many uses :D
i always use at least 2 (most of the time 3-4) units of 5 dr with rxb's and a musician(for rally)(also some model advice: if you want dr units then it is very expensive to buy dr blisters, a less expensive way to get some units is buying 2 boxes of glade riders (woodelves) and conferd them with crossbows from the warrior sprue and spikey stuff).

also about tactics: i think your problem is that you're trying to go toe to toe with your opponents and that's atm not the best tactic to use, instead it is best to outmanouvre your opponent and flank him (dr are great for this) and try to isolate his units and take them out one by one. i think that a fast and manouvrble (gram?) army is atm the way to go with dark elves (however this is just my opinion)
and versus bretonnia: boltthrowers work wonders
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

Caboose: The important thing to know about DE is that you win in the movment phase. Now most folks seem to think that this is about having faster units. This is not always the case. From my experience it's about combining the other phases(shooting and magic mostly but combat is always important) to help you gain the uper hand in movment.

Now for the first 3 turns I tend to avoid any major combats and instead focus on removing my opponents suport elements. warmachens, fast cav, flyers and shooting. I do this with a combination of magic, shooting and combat. In smaller games 2 lvl2 mages with dark magic and the nifty items we have is a great way to deal out damage and stop shooting units. Harpies, a Noble on dark steed and Dark Riders are really solid units to have when gooing after other fast cav and warmachens. The harpies are also usefull for marchblocking and diverting strong units that you dont want to deal with right away. Remember that it's sometimes worth it to sacrefice a unit of harpies or DR to avoid a combat that you cant win or will be a close call.

By turn 3-4 you should have removed most of the enamy suport elements and be able o focus your units on his main units and by dooing so your weaker units will combined be able to beat the enamy units. I'll post a general 1k and 1,5k list that you might want to try out. They will max out on mobilety and the be really good at takeing out enamy suport.

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

Okey, here is a basic 1k and a 1,5k list that really helps you learn to play on your strengths.

Basicly as you might see, you ned to avoid combat untill i is good for you, run around an shoot at the enamy while picking off his small suport units and then gang up on him with wariors, chariot and the flanking DRs.

This stuffwill also carry over into the new book so thats nice. The only thing I'm unsure of is the second chariot. I'm not sure if using two of them in the new book will be good. Since they will no longer be 2 for 1 slots. But then again I have 4 chariots that I like to use in combnation with my infantry so we will have to see what we can do with the new book when it comes out next month.

Good luck and good gameing!

1K list
Heros
1 Sorceress, lvl2, General, Darkstar Cloak, Lifetaker. 180 Pts

1 Sorceress, lvl2, Tome of Furion, Scroll. 170 Pts

Core
5 Dark Riders, Repeating Crossbows, Musician. 127 Pts

15 Warriors, Full Command. 145 Pts

Special
1 Cold One Chariot, spears. 97 Pts

5 Harpies. 65 Pts

6 Shades. 84 Pts

Army Stats
Casting Pool: 7
Dispel Pool: 4 + 1 Scroll
Models in Army: 39
Total Army Cost: 995

1,5K list

Heros
1 Noble, General, Halberd, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Blood Armour, Seal of Ghrond. 127 Pts
1 Cold One Chariot, Spears. 97 Pts

1 Sorceress, lvl2, Darkstar Cloak, Lifetaker. 180 Pts

1 Sorceress, lvl2, Tome of Furion, Scroll. 170 Pts

Core

20 Warriors, Full Command. 185 Pts

10 Warriors, Shields, Repeating Crossbow, Musician. 125 Pts

Special
1 Cold One Chariot, Spears. 97 Pts

5 Harpies. 65 Pts

7 Shades. 98 Pts

Rare
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower. 100 Pts

Army Stats
Dispel Pool: 5 + 1 Scroll
Models in Army: 60
Total Army Cost: 1498

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

Thank you VERY much for the input I have received!! :) It is greatly appreciated! I have just been trying different things to see what worked and what didn't. What is worth taking and what isn't. Trying to learn from trial and error. My last list consisted of the following:

1,500pts.

Noble w/ Cold One, Heavy Armor, Shield, Blade of Ruin - 152pts

Sorceress w/ Level 2, Tome of Furion, Dark Star Cloak - 165pts

Sorceress w/ Level 2, Seal of Ghrond, Crystal of Midnight - 180pts

10 Warriors w/ RxB's, Musician - 115pts

10 Warriros w/ RxB's, Musician - 115pts

9 CoK's w/ Full Command, War Banner - 331pts

17 Executioners w/ Full Command, Banner of Murder - 262pts

6 Harpies - 78pts

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100pts.

Dispel Pool: 5
Models in Army: 56

Comparing mine to yours they vary quite a bit and I see some points in my list that could be considered/are misspent. I had not really thought about using chariots and wasn't sure of the true value of the DR's with their points cost. I will definitely give it a go and see how it works out.

Again, thank you for your help and for shedding a bit of light on the Druchii Army a bit and thank for the welcome "No One." I truly do appreciate it. :D Thanks again and see ya on the boards!! :)
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

Firstly: Welcome to druchii net

Secondly:It seem's that I'm a little late, but I can tell you some of my experience on games with low points. I have used the following list during last years campaign while I was to France (it isn't really good but as long I wasn't playing against O&G I was on the winning side)

1k 40 Points

Sorceress, lvl 2, Staff of Kharaidron
Sorceress, lvl 2, Darkstar cloak, Seal of Ghrond
Noble, Peg, lance, shield, heavy armour, Mask which causes terror or you give him this net which does multiple hits and a magical armour

2x10 Warriors w/ RxB and shields

2 RBT

I know it sounds really inefficient and anoying to play such a list but it's a really a tricky list. With this list you really have to think tactically because your noble is always beyond enemy lines blocking march movement and you will have to shoot until the last moment and then go over to the attack.

Casting pool: 7+1bound
Dispell pool: 5
Modells: 23+2 warmachines with crew

I hope you will be able to test the list once ;)
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

Caboose wrote:Noble w/ Cold One, Heavy Armor, Shield, Blade of Ruin - 152pts
a noble is always a solid choice however i think you should drop the blade of ruin and take a lance as you want to break things on the charge, assuming he joins you CoK's

Sorceress w/ Level 2, Tome of Furion, Dark Star Cloak - 165pts
seems ok however you can only have one item out of every section (so no 2 arcane items like you did here)(also pls note: powerstones and dispelscrolls are an exeption to this rule, and you can take more then one) i would keep the tome and take a powerstone for a big spell you need to get off

Sorceress w/ Level 2, Seal of Ghrond, Crystal of Midnight - 180pts
also looks good however i think the crystal is a points sink as it is random and not much of a thread, you can drop it and take the darkstarcloak from your other sorceress.

10 Warriors w/ RxB's, Musician - 115pts

10 Warriros w/ RxB's, Musician - 115pts
you could give these guys shields to make them more effective in cc and to give them a better save versus shooting

9 CoK's w/ Full Command, War Banner - 331pts
i think you went a bid over the top here: CoK's are great but 9 is a bit too much, 5 is enough if your noble is going to join them, i think you try to go toe to toe with them (as i assumed before, if it's not true pls correct me) and that's the problem, CoK's are a flanking unit so use your blocks to keep an enemy unit in cc and then flank charge him with your knights

17 Executioners w/ Full Command, Banner of Murder - 262pts
17 is a very odd number... i would take 10 with full command and banner of murder like you did and use them the same way as i noted with your CoK's (but maybe drop the banner of murder as it is very random)

6 Harpies - 78pts
great warmachine hunters, no comments here

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100pts.
also great warmachine, maybe take two (2 for 1 choice)

Dispel Pool: 5
Models in Army: 56

so my comments?
-try to get a cheap and big statistic CR block (like 20/25 spearmen with banner and shields) wich shouldn't be a big problem if you drop 4 knights and 7 executioners and some other stuff( maybe you could even get yourself a second bolt thrower)

and indeed try some dark riders, maybe even drop the RxB warrios in favour of them.
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

no one wrote:Noble w/ Cold One, Heavy Armor, Shield, Blade of Ruin - 152pts
a noble is always a solid choice however i think you should drop the blade of ruin and take a lance as you want to break things on the charge, assuming he joins you CoK's

I would keep the blade of ruin if you are facing Bretonnia, lance will improve their ward save to 5+ and armour save would still be 5+ and it gets better for them in ongoing combat (3+ armour and 6+ ward).
With blade of ruin you have got him to no armour and 6+ ward save in every round of combat.

I agree with no one on the COK and Execs, but their is no block which can take a Bret Lance on the charge. (at least 8 str5 or 6 attacks on the charge more with character in there).
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback. It has been VERY helpful. :) It looks like I am going to need to pick up some DR's and give them a go. To be honest, I kind of shied away from them simply because of their points cost and not very good saves....Wasn't sure they would be worth the points. But it seems everything I have read thus far sounds like they are pretty much mandatory. haha

I don't normally play to be all that competitive, but this Brettonnian player....He makes me want to smash his army into dust he runs his mouth so much. lol

Anyway, thank you again for the advice and help!! MUCH appreciated! :D