Shields or Two Weapons?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Would you equip Corsairs with 2 Weapons or Shield?

2 Weapons
60%
Shield
40%

Total votes: 45

Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

Corsairs have A1, not A2. (currently they have A2 because they come with ahw).

I don't think they will be A2 without the ahw in the next armybook. A3 core units? Doubt it.
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

2 weapons since it's way much better get double so many kills than defend the guys with sheilds also sheild is not a corsair fluff at least not in 6 ed
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

Second hand weapon. If I wanted an army with great saving throws, I'd play dwarfs.

No, seriously, corsairs would play an agressive role in my army, so they want to get the charge. If they do, they will benefit more from addtitional attacks than from better armour. If they do not get the charge, something went wrong anyway, so it doesn't matter all that much.
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Sorry for the mistake, normal corsairs have indeed 2 weapons, not 2 attacks.

So the choice is bound to be:

- two-sword corsairs (2 attacks, AS 4+/5+),
- shield corsairs (1 attack, AS 3+/3+),
- X-bow corsairs (1 attack, AS 4+/5+, Xbow).
Unknown whether the change of weapon would be for free.

All options are interesting, and it is good to have so many options.

2S-Cor are the one we know already.
Sh-Cor are awesome for providing a vanguard shelter for following troops.

As for XB-Cor, they will compete with regular Xbows and with shades. XB-Cor are the most resistant to incoming fire; regular Xbows are the least expensive, can wear a shield and hide an assassin; shades have their present specific use.

In summary, I want all of them.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Guys... stop thinking too fast with the shield... It's really nothing sure.
Asikari
Highborn

Post by Asikari »

1st of all, we don't know that the sea dragon cloak will retain the same benefit as before. They could drop it to just +1 AS vs. ranged attacks. With hand weapon, shield, and sea dragon cloak, this would provide a 4+ AS in both close combat and vs. ranged attacks.

2nd, my opinions of the best setup will depend on the 1st. Given my appreciation of flexible units, I will likely equip any corsairs I use with the handbows.
"The strength you normally use is like the small visible segment of an iceberg..." Tohei-sensai

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

Sedro wrote:2 weapons since it's way much better get double so many kills than defend the guys with sheilds also sheild is not a corsair fluff at least not in 6 ed

Kills? That's hilarious. I don't think my corsairs have killed anybody...ever. They are pretty good at winning via flanking or static res, though.

I'd take a 3+ save over a pair of S3 attacks any day of the week. 4+ save, well, I don't know. I'd have to see the costs.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Tar-ciryan
Warrior

Post by Tar-ciryan »

I'd go for two hand weapons personly, posibly the hand bows depending on their rules. So long as they don't change the SDC they have plenty of defence (for an elf), if they do i may cry.
(°°) Cthulhu themed corsairs FTW!
/()\ Brotherhood of the Coast!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Remember that their crossbow is a pistol weapon which means:
can be used as additional close combat weapon in close combat
so even if you replace one hand weapon with crossbowgun, they still get 2 attacks in CC
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

They are only a core choice and super over powered is unlikely

Don't go too fast here.

From what I've gathered from other books, the option is usually either a HtH weapon or a shooting weapon, with shields being optional in either case. If this applies to the new corsairs, then we've got a nice anvil unit standing on our doorstep, here. probably a round of shooting before taking the charge, in which they get a stand and shoot before taking the brunt of it all.

Depending on how you play, this may or may not work. If you're looking for flankers, 2HW is the way to go. If you're looking for a cheap unit for CC, go with Spearmen. But when you need something to complete a whole bunch of tasks at once, the idea of corsairs with RHB and a shield sounds appeasing. Add on the runour that we'll have universal hatred, we'll get to re-roll all hits in the first round of CC, making great for both scenarios with the corsairs.

Personally, I would say that shields is the way to go. We've got a need for powerful and stable Core choices that will hold their ground. Our Special Units are more than capable of making up the flank that a unit of corsairs w/ 2HW would provide.
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

And if they neuter the Sea Dragon Cloak like the did the Lion Cloak and make it just a +2 AS versus missile, they've just killed a bunch of rather beautiful models. I rarely fielded Corsairs with two hand weapons and a 5+/4+ save. If they think I'll field them with two hand weapons and a 6+/3+ save, they are kidding themselves!
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

In retort, the Lion CLoak was always only +2 AS against missiles. The only thing I can possibly see them doing is making the SDC either +2 AS against shooting like the lion cloak, or +1 AS for both shooting and CC.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I actually think any change to the SDC will bring more pain to our nobles and highborns than to the corsairs.
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

perhaps, perhaps. But it would make them so much more vulnerable to missile fire if it did. Corsairs are meant to be anti-shooting, so I don't really see modifying the SDC as a good move on GW's part.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Because you think people would shoot more tat them, because they are harder to actually wound? Isn't that kind of a stupid idea? I wouldn't shoot anything that's hard to kill. You go for the wounded gazelle, corsairs could still be there soaking up shooting.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

For me it's simple; if they can get shields, I will field 2 units of 20 with shields and 2 units of 10 without. If they can't, I will field 2 units of 10 without. There is currently no good reason to play corsairs in big blocks.
Uriain
Executioner

Post by Uriain »

I am going to have to disagree with what Prince Daerlythe said. Dark Elves are not supposed to be a dig in and grind it out with people type of army. They are a hit on the front and flank and crush a unit..or make it so that they win and are able to bring a third into combat in the next turn. You want Solid Core Troops. Take a Unit of Spearelves with a BSB on a Cold one, that is a solid unit. Corsairs are made for throwing up lots of attacks. Because lots of attacks means lots of hits. Lots of hits, mean some wounds...and that means a few people die. Now, if you are throwing your corsairs against chosen Khorne, then yeah..you going to get poop stomped, but if you are doing it properly, IE throwing a charriot or a Hydra in with the corsairs, and they are attacking a unit weakend by magic or shooting (or both) then suddenly, that Khorne unit isnt so bad. Sure, you might lose a few guys in return, but your gonna win. (Barring the dice gods hating you that turn)

Corsairs with "Pistol Crossbows" I dont personally get, I think it is a pretty weak excuse for whatever fluff butchary you know they are doing, but I am not in charge, so I will wait and see if its still worth while to do my Corsair Theme'd list.
Sheilds (imo) should not be a Corsair option. It goes against their fluff, and makes no sence. Warriors shoot, Corsairs Raid...nuff said..
Building Hand Eye Co-ordination. . . . One kill at a time.
Katash
Executioner
Location: On a ship in a little glass bottle trying to figure out how I got here

Post by Katash »

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I just checked the two month before WD HE preview (september 2007) and couldn't find anything about shooting in two ranks :?

The important thing about shields is that you can give them the handbows as well, hey-presto You've got a good defensive unit for DE (3+ save and the ability to stand and shoot).
Thus will it come to pass.
The dying leader will know
the truth of the opera house.
The missing three will give you the five
who have come from the home of the 13th.
You are the harbinger of death, kara thrace.
You will lead them all to their end.
Aginor26
Executioner

Post by Aginor26 »

The Griefbringer wrote:Depending on cost, I could really see folks taking blocks of 15-20 with Shields as anvils and then small groups of 10 as flankers. That wouldn't be half bad.

Of course, that does depend a lot on cost.

yeap. Id like to see an anvil unit with a good save to compensate for low toughness. The pistols sound cool too if the price isnt too high.
"Walk softly, and carry a big gun."
Joey_boy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Joey_boy »

IF they have a shield option, something I really hope they do have, I'll be using 2 units of 15-20 with shileds and two units of 10 with xhw and hand-xbows, if there is such an option.

This is a very flexible unit that can anvil fairly well with a BSB and HB on Coldones in the units to keep them around and with exilent flanking units to suport the main infantry. This is great news for players such as me who have been struggling with our none-dragon infantry armys for a long time!

I'm looking forwars to the book to see what options I'll have since specualtion aint the real deal. But a heavy assult(M5!) infantry is just what I'v been waiting for in warhammer.

/Johan R
You don´t snuggle with Max Power, you just strap on and feel the G´s!

Swedish ranking page and forum
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Lizardmen are going to HATE our new Corsairs.
Rhakinlanthari
Executioner

Post by Rhakinlanthari »

I say that I don't know enough about whether the default corsairs will change or not to make the call about which configuration to take. We don't know if they will still have light armour, or if sea dragon cloaks will change or ...

I'll probably end up going with 2HW if its still worth fielding corsairs in that configuration as that's how all of mine are modelled at the moment and I don't really want to buy new ones or convert all of my existing minis.
Click this. You know you want to...
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

phierlihy wrote:Lizardmen are going to HATE our new Corsairs.

Why? :roll:

On a side note, I'm going to jump on the SDICS band wagon. It seems to good to be true on one side but I do see it being well balanced on another side.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

For me it depends on points costs (although that's assumed for everyone, I suppose) and battlefield roles.

Assuming SDCs are the the same, Corsairs with shields would become our toughest troop outside of COKs. That would be tough to pass up.
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

If they come with shields as an option, that will be very attractive for one simple reason: they will be unique. No other unit will come close to being that survivable. You can take WE or Corsairs w/ 2HW to deal out a lot of wounds, and COK for a high AS, but no other unit can combine a high AS and ranks like this. 20 with a War Banner will be a tough nut to crack and if the points don't change will come in at 250 pts. That's a great value.