Corsairs ultimate MSU for DE

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Benmannen
Beastmaster

Corsairs ultimate MSU for DE

Post by Benmannen »

Looking at the pictures and the equipment the new Corsairs get, I think we are finally getting a great dedicated MSU unit. They probably have the same stats but with the hand bow and shield upgrades they will be a very versatile unit, as long as the handbow does not work as Mengils crappy pistol.

Guessing the points cost will be pretty high with command and full upgrades but it would be an awesome unit to field compared to todays MSU alternatives. A unit that can fight AND shoot.
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Dogs of War and Bretonnians 40k: Dark Eldar and Chaos Renegades, BFG: Dark Eldar, Epic: Dark Eldar, Man O'War: Slaanesh Chaos

My Dark Eldarblog:
http://stefan13.typepad.com/blog
The exile
Warrior

Post by The exile »

Wait, what's wrong with Mengils pistol? <.<
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.
So throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Reapeater handgun will probably work like menghil's pistol which is plain awesome. Don't know what you don't like in it.

Wait, what's wrong with Mengils pistol? <.<

It jams sometimes due to insanely high rate of fire >.>
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

yep they are getting good ,but do you really think they could have 2 hw shield and hand bow on the same time? I personally think those going up to special but whattever
Dreadlord taylindril
Dark Rider

Post by Dreadlord taylindril »

Yes I agree, but I do not think you will be able to have all the new options at once. I belive you will be able to change one hand weapon for a shield or the crossbow pistol. But that is just what I think.
it is time for us to make war on the Asur; shed blood in khaine's name.
hail king malekith

dreadlord taylindril of hag graef
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Again, dont believe the thing about the shield.
Benmannen
Beastmaster

Post by Benmannen »

Have you ever played with Mengils pistol? In more than one or two games?

It's completely worthless, the range is too short for a unit on foot, and when you are within range you normally charge instead.

For a fast cav unit it would be great. For Corsairs it would not be very useful. Move 5" and shoot 8"... Not good at all, and you better be lined up perfectly to your target, otherwise some models will be out of range.

I rarely got shots off and I brought Manflayers to serveral tournaments. The unit shoots, but Mangil never get to fire his pistol. The only times he got to use it was at a rare Stand and Shoot reaction...

It seems like the Shield option is true. Take a look at the Corsairs pictures and read the text, unless someone did some Photoshop work and altered the text just to mess with us...

I hope we will be able to field both Shield and Handbows, but if it wil be possible, it will for sure come at a steep price...
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Dogs of War and Bretonnians 40k: Dark Eldar and Chaos Renegades, BFG: Dark Eldar, Epic: Dark Eldar, Man O'War: Slaanesh Chaos

My Dark Eldarblog:
http://stefan13.typepad.com/blog
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

I also think the shield is true and I think they will go up in price ALOT like 15 points/model with shield and handgun/bow
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

I was hoping that the handbow would have a range similar to that of a short bow, which is half the range of a normal bow... 12''. In this case the handbow would prove to be very useful. Move up to 12 inches to one of those slow 8" charge foot models and put 10-12 crossbow bolts in em. Next turn if they move at all you can charge em.
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The shield isn't true, it's as true as the same magazine saying that High Elves will be shooting in 2 ranks again.
As for Menghil, it's not his weapon's fault, it's the mixed weapons in the unit.
If they all had those pistols you'd be amazed what they can do.
move 5" shoot 21 shots (assuming 7 wide corsair front)
get charged
stand and shoot another 21 shots
pick your targets well and nothing will ever want to charge under that kind of rain.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I'll think about that when I'll see it writen in the armybook, not before that. White Dwarf oftenly do mistakes in their editions.
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

move 5" shoot 21 shots (assuming 7 wide corsair front)
get charged
stand and shoot another 21 shots
pick your targets well and nothing will ever want to charge under that kind of rain.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable way of pissing off your opponent... very druchii. Bring on the 8 inch handbows!!!
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Dalamar wrote:The shield isn't true, it's as true as the same magazine saying that High Elves will be shooting in 2 ranks again.

Yupp, it is White dwarf after all. Hardly the best source for rules.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

We will see with the shields.

Without the SDC and with sword and sheild they will make great warriors. If the warriors go to base 7 points with both the spear and RXB as an option, there still won't be any corsairs in my army :)
"Luck is the residue of design"
Powerfulfawn
Cold One Knight

Post by Powerfulfawn »

They will most likely come with 2 weapons as standard, like now, then you can choose shield swap or handbow for relevant points cost.

And I think the handbows will still be useful with 8" range, but only in stand and shoot scenario, so limits their flexibility, but could be deadly..
Tar-ciryan
Warrior

Post by Tar-ciryan »

Depending on the point costs and with my almost madatory 4 units of DR, i doubt i'll use warriors anymore. Perhaps with the exception of x-bow elves, range of the corsiars isn't great. But then again whose complaining?
(°°) Cthulhu themed corsairs FTW!
/()\ Brotherhood of the Coast!
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

There will be no shields for Corsairs. I can bet my Witch Hunter army for W40k.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'd always swap 2nd hand weapon for handbow as you can use pistols in close combat as 2nd hand weapon :P

And not only in stand and shoot scenario. Anything that has higher charge range than you - walk up, shoot, then shoot again. very handy IMO, even if they don't survive the charge, you just got 42 shots in 1 turn out of 7 models!
7th edition army book:

Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Dalamar wrote:I'd always swap 2nd hand weapon for handbow as you can use pistols in close combat as 2nd hand weapon :P

And not only in stand and shoot scenario. Anything that has higher charge range than you - walk up, shoot, then shoot again. very handy IMO, even if they don't survive the charge, you just got 42 shots in 1 turn out of 7 models!

You could get. I just did some rolling and managed to wound 15 models, with T3 and AS5+. Sure I only did one roll, and rolled kinda good. But still kinda convinces me.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Even though I won't field them 7 wide as I'm not a fan of units wider than 5... one on it's own would be fine, add second units (flanking, anvil or anything really) and you tend to get stuck between terrain... unless you play on open fields :P but then you just get shot down.
7th edition army book:

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If they do indeed change the Sea Dragon Cloak as they did the Lion cloak to a +2 AS versus missile weapons, these Corsairs will be a waste of beautiful models. I wouldn't field them without two hand weapons but I also wouldn't field them with only a 6+ AS. Thanks but pass me back my warriors...
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

White Lions gained Heavy Armour (even if the model doesn't really show it) and kept their Lion Cloak.

We have to wait for the book (or leaks) anyway.
Tolkar of har ganeth
Dark Rider

Post by Tolkar of har ganeth »

I'm curious about the repeater hanbows actually. If I remember correctly, Mengil hand a repeater crossbow pistol. If he uses gunpowder it will probably be stronger than the mere handbows. Maybe they will be something similar to Mengils bow but only strenght three or something.

But if the corsairs would gain two hand weapons, sea dragon cloak, light armour and handbows/whatever bows, I'll start using them (probably in small units) even without a shield.
KILL!!!
Hateshighelves
Beastmaster

Post by Hateshighelves »

Dalamar wrote:Reapeater handgun will probably work like menghil's pistol which is plain awesome.

Menghil's pistol has poison attacks. If the corsairs' pistol is "like Menghil's pistol," then say hello to my all corsair/pistol, dark rider, RBT army. WOOT!
Did I tell you that I hate high elves?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Repeater Crossbow Pistol:
S3, 8", Multiple Shot x3, pistol
7th edition army book: