Cauldron of Blood

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Zeth wrote:wow, what a waste it would be if it was mobile and 12", it would effect so fewer units at one point in time that it would need to cost a significant amount less, also due to shortened range it would need to move forward and make itself more vulnerable in doing so. Are you sure you have much experience with the CoB?
Your arguments suggest you don't.

I guess that depends on what one's definition of "much" is. In 6th edition, since the revisions to the Dark Elf list, I tried a stint of about a dozen games in which I was determined to include one and make it work. And in each game, it never lived up to my expectations. Largely because my opponents know exactly what it is, and how to fight it. In four games, the entire crew was killed in the 1st or 2nd turns, before any real combat began.... either by ranged fire, flyers, or in one case a hail of doom arrow. (omfg I hate that item... but I digress :P )

In the other games, it often survived, but it didn't really help much. But, then again, rerolls to wound on Dwarven hammerers, Knights Panther, Ogres, or Grave Guard only tend to garner so much. In combat situations where it actually granted some beenfit (an additional 2 wounds in a combat, for instance), the unit I was attacking (with Witch Elves) had already sustained 6 or so. They were practically doomed from the get go, with or without the help of the Couldron.

I'm sure much of my luck with the Couldron has been due to poor placement options due to terrain, poor dice rolls, or other mishaps beyond it's control. But by in large, it has never proven to be worth 200 points for me. 100? Maybe. But certainly not 200.

And my estimation of 12" for a mobile couldron was generally based on the ranges of general's leadership and the BSB. A mobile Couldron in a unit of Witch elves, flanked by executioners and perhaps another unit of Witch Elves would probably do really well. But I would of course prefer a 24" range. ;) I just can't help but wonder if 24" + Mobility might be a little too powerful. But then again, for a nearly 200 point item, I suppose it should be the bee's knees, so I'll gracefully concede the 12" bit. :P

One point of nitpickery, though: 24" should not ever reach into the opponent's deployment zone in a standard Pitched Battle, as the armies are supposed to be 24" apart. Not to mention the fact that doing so places the Couldron front and center, often exposed to enemy fire. And in cases where I tried that (all of twice), it almost never survived the battle long enough to have any significant effect.

So out of a dozen or so games, which probably isn't "much" by most people's standards, I gave the couldron the old college try, and decided I friggin' hated the thing. I'd rather have two more RBTs.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

MonkeyLord wrote:
Zeth wrote:One point of nitpickery, though: 24" should not ever reach into the opponent's deployment zone in a standard Pitched Battle, as the armies are supposed to be 24" apart. Not to mention the fact that doing so places the Couldron front and center, often exposed to enemy fire. And in cases where I tried that (all of twice), it almost never survived the battle long enough to have any significant effect.

I agree. If it's mobile (like the pope-mobile/Screaming Bell) then a 12" range is fine. But if it's immobile, it should cover the entire tabletop (like the Anvil of Cheese/Casket of Souls does).
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I'd rather see it stay immobile and have some effect on enemy troops as well as our own.
From the top of my head something like -1 Ld to every enemy units that can draw line of sight to the Cauldron.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Zeth
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Zeth »

MonkeyLord wrote:Largely because my opponents know exactly what it is, and how to fight it. In four games, the entire crew was killed in the 1st or 2nd turns, before any real combat began.... either by ranged fire, flyers, or in one case a hail of doom arrow. (omfg I hate that item... but I digress :P )

I don't accept 'just shoot it' as a solution, it doesn't make sense. It is the single hardest unit in our whole list to kill through shooting.

25 Empire gunners will average .9 wounds to the cauldron.
2.1 wounds to CoK
2.3 wounds to CoC
and 2.7 wounds to a Black Dragon.

There is simply no unit in our army harder to shoot down then the cauldron. So if your opponent is wasting his fire there...again right away worth 200 points.

In combat situations where it actually granted some beenfit (an additional 2 wounds in a combat, for instance), the unit I was attacking (with Witch Elves) had already sustained 6 or so. They were practically doomed from the get go, with or without the help of the Couldron.

So the cauldron is bad because your letting your witches get charged?
You can't say something is bad based simply off of you using it poorly.
so I'll gracefully concede the 12" bit. :P

I won't field it if it becomes mobile and 12" is worse then it is now, by a large margin.
its never going to effect my turn two DR charges, going to effect probably a full half as many units at a time, and will actually become that worthless piece of army choice many people think that it is now.

One point of nitpickery, though: 24" should not ever reach into the opponent's deployment zone in a standard Pitched Battle, as the armies are supposed to be 24" apart.
If your opponent never leaves his deployment zone you have bought your self a whole army of mages casting dominion for a meer 200 points. Also 'within' on warhammer refers to just a part of the unit.
This a unit of DR's charging straight forward from the cauldron, will actually get 25.9" which is in the opposing deployment zone.
Not to mention the fact that doing so places the Couldron front and center, often exposed to enemy fire. And in cases where I tried that (all of twice), it almost never survived the battle long enough to have any significant effect.
I don't understand how your opponents are shooting it down, its THE hardest unit to shoot in our entire book. Your opponent needs 75 hand gunner shots only at the cauldron to on average only do 2.8 wounds, which is simply not going to happen, so how does it die?
So out of a dozen or so games, which probably isn't "much" by most people's standards, I gave the couldron the old college try, and decided I friggin' hated the thing. I'd rather have two more RBTs.
Well, hope your happy with it, I'd much rather stick with the best force multiplier in the game, then trade it for a couple of the worst warmachines in the game.

I'm not trying to convince you to use it, I just find it irritating your trying to prevent others to use it, and your best arguments of why it is bad are:
I rolled really bad and even the rerolls didnt help
and My opponent got very very very lucky and in killed it in a round or two of shooting.

They are simply not a legitimate reason not to use the cauldron.
Tolkar of har ganeth
Dark Rider

Post by Tolkar of har ganeth »

I must convess that I've never seen a cauldron in action yet. I've tried using it once, together with a unit of black guard and witch elves. But than the high elf player had decided to play a gunline with four mages. He didn't come close to the zone the cauldron effects and his two eagles got lucky and killed all three crew in one round of combat...

I am anxious in trying it for myself, but I think it will be rubbish against certain armies. My four bolt trowers always did the job fine against almost every enemy.

Also, the 12'' range wont be so bad if it can move. By turn two you still can have every unit that charged in range. The cauldron would have moved just as far as the units around it. In an army build to be aggressive, it should work.
KILL!!!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If it's 12" range and moving you will have to get it to the center of the table first (at least 2 turns) to make its range equal to current one in *one direction* which is straigth forward... what about the sides? the tables usually have about 4' left to the sides of cauldron with meager 12" range...
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Zeth wrote:I don't accept 'just shoot it' as a solution, it doesn't make sense. It is the single hardest unit in our whole list to kill through shooting.

25 Empire gunners will average .9 wounds to the cauldron.
2.1 wounds to CoK
2.3 wounds to CoC
and 2.7 wounds to a Black Dragon.

There is simply no unit in our army harder to shoot down then the cauldron. So if your opponent is wasting his fire there...again right away worth 200 points.

Yes, but that’s still 200 VPs I’m giving my opponent. VPs that could have been invested in a more effective unit.

Zeth wrote:So the cauldron is bad because your letting your witches get charged?
You can't say something is bad based simply off of you using it poorly.
I’m sorry, what? You misunderstand: I said the unit I was attacking with witch elves.

Zeth wrote:I won't field it if it becomes mobile and 12" is worse then it is now, by a large margin. its never going to effect my turn two DR charges, going to effect probably a full half as many units at a time, and will actually become that worthless piece of army choice many people think that it is now.
Since I don’t field my DRs in my center, it wouldn’t affect my DRs anyway, unless I put my CoB on a flank. In which case, half of its range of effect become unusable.

Zeth wrote:If your opponent never leaves his deployment zone you have bought your self a whole army of mages casting dominion for a meer 200 points.
Unless those units are crossbowmen, bowmen, handgunners, cannons, jezzails, high toughness troops that could care less whether or not you re-roll your to-wound rolls, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

Zeth wrote:Also 'within' on warhammer refers to just a part of the unit. This a unit of DR's charging straight forward from the cauldron, will actually get 25.9" which is in the opposing deployment zone.
While I could field DRs in this capacity, I would have to field them in large enough numbers to actually arrive at their destination AND be numerous enough to actually do significant damage. And I don’t use DRs in this fashion anyway. I use them to harry enemy troops, advance up the flanks, etc. I generally haven’t had much luck running DRs up the middle. But that’s entirely a circumstantial thing, dependent on my own tactics, the tactics of my regular opponents, etc.

Zeth wrote: I don't understand how your opponents are shooting it down, its THE hardest unit to shoot in our entire book. Your opponent needs 75 hand gunner shots only at the cauldron to on average only do 2.8 wounds, which is simply not going to happen, so how does it die?
LOL, well, incase you weren’t aware, this game, being based on dice, will achieve results that fly in the face of mathhammer. ;) As I said, in about a dozen games, I’ve had the cauldron die an immediate and ignoble death right in about 4, I think, and in only two of those did it die to shooting. It only takes 3 wounds. Don’t get me wrong, I was ticked. But it *does* happen. I think in most games, it survived to at least round 4, if not the entire battle.

Zeth wrote: Well, hope your happy with it, I'd much rather stick with the best force multiplier in the game, then trade it for a couple of the worst warmachines in the game.
It’s only the best force multiplier when the combat takes place within that 24” realm of unfluence, and it survives that long. And I would hardly call the RBTs the worst waramachines in the game. In every single game I’ve played, 2 of them did more damage to the enemy than the Couldron did. [/quote]

Zeth wrote: I'm not trying to convince you to use it, I just find it irritating your trying to prevent others to use it, and your best arguments of why it is bad are:
I rolled really bad and even the rerolls didnt help
and My opponent got very very very lucky and in killed it in a round or two of shooting.

They are simply not a legitimate reason not to use the cauldron.

Listen, I’m not trying to convince anyone to not use the Couldron. I’m simply conveying my experience with it, which has been, with little exception, very lackluster. And I very clearly stated that beyond the roll of the dice, there were several factors involved that mitigated those advantages offered by the CoB. And whether we like it or not, this game is based entirely on luck. If we wanted the dice to convey a precise result, then we wouldn’t use them at all. We’d simply say “This unit inflicts 3 wounds on the charge. Your armor save negates 1 of them.”

So in approx. 1/6 of my games with it, the Couldron died to shooting by turn 2. Can anyone here honestly say that is so hard to believe? Especially since in both those games, those deaths were to Elves and Dwarves? I don’t remember every single instance, but most of the other deaths were due to H2H combat and Magic. But on several occasions, it did actually survive the battle.

And in *all* of my games, the Couldron’s re-rolls did not really change the course of a single combat. Is *that* really so difficult to believe? But then, this might very well be due to my playing style. I typically try to setup the battle in such a way that my charges break enemy units on the first turn of the combat anyway. In which case, an additional re-rolled wound didn’t really change the outcome. And in most cases that I remembered, any units of mine that were charged were broken, regardless of having inflicted an extra wound or two.

I simply can’t come in here and state that my observations were any different. They are what they are: My experiences with the cauldron. The limitations of the range and mobility turned out to be very problematic, and I can’t change that. I consider myself a reasonbly good player with a pretty solid winning record against a group of opponents who are themselves also very good. But I couldn't achieve posative results with the couldron with the style of list I prefer to play.

So instead of saying the CoB is good or bad, perhaps we should make those judgements within the context of the list within which it appears?

My typical list is some variant of the below:
1 x 5 CoKs + General on CoK + BSB w/ Hydra Banner
1 x Sorc (lvl 2) on foot
1 x 15-20 Witch Elves
1 or 2 CO Chariots
2 x 10 Repeater XBowmen
1 x 7 Harpies
2 x Repeater Bolt Throwers
1 x 7 DRs
1 x 7 Shades

Or *some* variation of the above, give or take a chariot or a harpy or shade here or there.

For whatever reason, the chemistry of this type of list did not sit well with the CoB. And as I mentioned previously, I almost invariably push for combined charges. A WE + Chariot charge, a WE + CoK Charge, or a CoK + Chariot + WE charge will usually break most units. And if it isn't likely to do so, I just shoot at it instead. :D

So it could very well be that the Couldron does not compliment this type of play well, or at least the benefits are not as noticeable, or have the impact they would on different play styles.

So just out of curisoty, Zeth, what does your list with the CoB look like, and how do you play it?
Last edited by Monkeylord on Mon May 26, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

So in approx. 1/6 of my games, the Couldron died to shooting by turn 2. Can anyone here honestly say that so hard to believe?

yes. Dwarves you say?...
handgunners are out of range so it couldn't be them
quarrelers then?
hmm.
lets say there's 2 units of 10 shooting at cauldron, quite reasonable amount to spend on shooting at a warmachine
20 shots needing 5s to hit (4s base -1 for long range)
6.6 hits needing 5s to hit crew (warmachine is indestructible)
2.2 hits the crew needing 3s to wound (S4 vs. T3)
1.5 wounds the crew which gets 4+ ward save against shooting
0.75 wounds in a turn
meaning statistically you need 4 full turns of 20 dwarf quarrelers shooting at the cauldron to kill all the crew

You can say exactly what was shooting them and I'll do the math.
They are much easier to be killed on the charge, if enemy can go trough Terror test, and in following turns they stand pretty good chance at killing all contact so it's one chance only thing.

again, highly unlikely and requiring a lot of luck.
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Yes, if I recall correctly, (this has been a while, do remember! :P) it was crossbowmen and a stray cannon ball that overshot one of my other units that did the offending damage. Pretty sure in that game it was turn 2.

Now, this particular dwarf player likes to field large units of crossbowmen because he likes to equip them with greatweapons, and double as an emergency H2H unit. But even so, it was only one unit. Maybe 16? 20? Don't remember

And I can do the math. I'm a computer scientist by trade, for pete's sake! :)
Last edited by Monkeylord on Mon May 26, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

well, the cannonball can't harm the cauldron itself, and witch even if hit (wow, sounds like someone was cheating with the cannon here), which is pretty hard unless you're aiming at the single model, still gets her ward save.

And even if cannon takes down the average to 3 turns... That's 3 turns where 20 crossbows aren't shooting your important units.
By turn 3 there should be no warmachines on the other side of the table if you were given this much freedom.
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

lol, no, there was no cheating involved. The guy was shooting at my witch elves, his guess was too long, he rolled high for the extension and the bounce, and it was enough to reach the couldron. It was a perfectly legit shot, and if he'd guessed a couple inches shorter, he would have hit both the witch elves and the couldron, which I believe was his hope/intent, and would have been a very nice shot indeed! :P

And I never said that I lost the battle, I said I lost the CoB. As I remember, that particular battle, I escaped a draw by like 4 points or something ridiculous of that nature. And the CoB certainly didn't help, being dead and all. :P
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

MonkeyLord wrote:lol, no, there was no cheating involved. The guy was shooting at my witch elves, his guess was too long, he rolled high for the extension and the bounce, and it was enough to reach the couldron.

Question is, why did you have all three guardians in a row so a bounce would catch them all?
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:Question is, why did you have all three guardians in a row so a bounce would catch them all?

I think you misunderstood me... The answer to your question would be: I didn't, and it didn't. The quarellers killed two, and the cannonball killed one.
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

MonkeyLord wrote:Yes, but that’s still 200 VPs I’m giving my opponent. VPs that could have been invested in a more effective unit.

I don't get it...still 200 vps? when you could be giving up 400 to shooting instead? how is this worse?
I’m sorry, what? You misunderstand: I said the unit I was attacking with witch elves.

I suppose i did, you said they already sustained 6 wounds, I could not figure out ho that was relevant unless you were charged and the wounds were done that round.
Since I don’t field my DRs in my center, it wouldn’t affect my DRs anyway, unless I put my CoB on a flank. In which case, half of its range of effect become unusable.

I put one of my 4 units of DRs in the middle, but thats not the point.
24" does not mean you need to deploy anything in the middle for it to be useful, as 24" covers most of the playing field.
Unless those units are crossbowmen, bowmen, handgunners, cannons, jezzails, high toughness troops that could care less whether or not you re-roll your to-wound rolls, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

Yes, we already covered that it does not do well against a gunline. and High toughness troops is where it helps the most.
While I could field DRs in this capacity, I would have to field them in large enough numbers to actually arrive at their destination AND be numerous enough to actually do significant damage. And I don’t use DRs in this fashion anyway. I use them to harry enemy troops, advance up the flanks, etc. I generally haven’t had much luck running DRs up the middle. But that’s entirely a circumstantial thing, dependent on my own tactics, the tactics of my regular opponents, etc

Again, 24" is a large area and does not require my DR to be the middle of the field to be useful, anytime the DR charge into a flank or come to support a unit, they are very likely to be within the 24" of the cauldron.
LOL, well, incase you weren’t aware, this game, being based on dice, will achieve results that fly in the face of mathhammer. ;)

very aware, and yet the best way to judge a unit is based off of the average damage, support, or protection it will give. Not based off of your odd ball bad dice luck scenarios.
As I said, in about a dozen games, I’ve had the cauldron die an immediate and ignoble death right in about 4, I think, and in only two of those did it die to shooting.
Like this one.
It only takes 3 wounds. Don’t get me wrong, I was ticked. But it *does* happen.
Yes just very very infrequently. About as frequently as the unit getting shot at 75 times and not taking any wounds.
It’s only the best force multiplier when the combat takes place within that 24” realm of unfluence, and it survives that long.

Which is the large large majority.

And I would hardly call the RBTs the worst waramachines in the game. In every single game I’ve played, 2 of them did more damage to the enemy than the Couldron did.
Look at the numbers, they are simply the worst warmachine in the game.
Listen, I’m not trying to convince anyone to not use the Couldron. I’m simply conveying my experience with it, which has been, with little exception, very lackluster.

All then experiences you have mentioned here have been in the bottom one or two standard deviations from the norm.

And I very clearly stated that beyond the roll of the dice, there were several factors involved that mitigated those advantages offered by the CoB. And whether we like it or not, this game is based entirely on luck. If we wanted the dice to convey a precise result, then we wouldn’t use them at all. We’d simply say “This unit inflicts 3 wounds on the charge. Your armor save negates 1 of them.”

Dice are less of a random factor then you imply when often rolling hundreds of them in a game.

So in approx. 1/6 of my games with it, the Couldron died to shooting by turn 2. Can anyone here honestly say that is so hard to believe? Especially since in both those games, those deaths were to Elves and Dwarves?...And in *all* of my games, the Couldron’s re-rolls did not really change the course of a single combat. Is *that* really so difficult to believe?

No, I believe such things do happen, and that they happened to you. That does not change that your dice luck or your opponents was well above average, and implying the cauldron is bad due to your bad dice luck is irresponsible when trying to give advice.
I typically try to setup the battle in such a way that my charges break enemy units on the first turn of the combat anyway. In which case, an additional re-rolled wound didn’t really change the outcome. And in most cases that I remembered, any units of mine that were charged were broken, regardless of having inflicted an extra wound or two.

The cauldron allows MORE of the circumstances where your likely to break your opponent on the first round, and makes those circumstances where your likely to win but not break much more likely to do so.
I simply can’t come in here and state that my observations were any different. They are what they are: My experiences with the cauldron.

But that simply is not useful, without a larger pool of data then 12 games, a variety in army lists and tactics, and the math and reasoning to back up your arguments.

The argument of 'my cauldron gets shot to death in every game' is not only refuted to be the average in statistics it is also fairly poor tactics.
But I couldn't achieve posative results with the couldron with the style of list I prefer to play.

It seems then more useful information would be giving an idea of what your army is and WHY it does not work will in your army.

My typical list is some variant of the below:
1 x 5 CoKs + General on CoK + BSB w/ Hydra Banner
1 x Sorc (lvl 2) on foot
1 x 15-20 Witch Elves
1 or 2 CO Chariots
2 x 10 Repeater XBowmen
1 x 7 Harpies
2 x Repeater Bolt Throwers
1 x 7 DRs
1 x 7 Shades

Agreed, a very poor list for the cauldron, your CoK are only going to get 1-2 charges per game and they don't need it to win.
20 Witches is a waste of points, and being that they are your only infantry threat are likely to be destroyed before every entering combat, or because you have little to protect them from their own frenzy they are likely to be drawn into poor combats.

Your army is mostly shooty, with one decent CC unit in the CoK's.

Of course you would not use a cauldron in such a list.

I supposed I did not need to explain that the cauldron is only useful in lists that expect to win through CC, and plan on bringing lost of those units, maybe I do.

Should also stipulate that it looses a lot of its effectivness if you play on a 8' board rather then 4 or 6, where it goes from covering 90-60% of the board down to >50

So just out of curisoty, Zeth, what does your list with the CoB look like, and how do you play it?

Highborn, on CoC, with HA, SDC, DoDP, HsoD
BM, on Manticore, LA, Shield, Lance, SoG

3x5 DR w/ RxB Music
5 DR w/ Music

2x20 Corsairs w/ standard champ

2x10 Witches w/ hag manbane

5 CoK w/ standard champ warbanner

CoB.
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

In the continuing `to use or not to use the CoB` saga, it`s really a matter of preference at the end of the day.

Overall, I agree with Zeth. The numbers speak for themselves. BUT, numbers have little relevance if the Cauldron is fielded with an inappropriate list versus an inappropriate enemy. Obviously the list presented by Monkeylord is not condusive to success when fielding a CoB. The list presented by Zeth is more able to exploit the benefits of the Cauldron by fielding a proponderance of CC units with many Attacks, thereby increasing the amount of Wounds that will get a re-roll.

An inappropriate enemy is less obvious. As previously stated, the CoB is best fielded when facing a high Toughness enemy, preferably with low to average Armour Saves. My favorite enemies to take the Cauldron against are O&G`s, and OK`s. Both Armies have a higher average Toughness (in the case of Orcs not Gobbos), and little Armour. against such foes the Cauldron simply CARVES ! :twisted: Particularly when fielding Witches and Corsairs (gotta love 2 or 3 Attacks per model).

I wouldn`t take a CoB if I was facing a Missile heavy force. If there`s some doubt whether my opponent will take alot of Missile Weapons, I usually err on the side of caution, and pick a list that doesn`t include the CoB. But if I`m facing O&G`s or OK`s, I take it every time.

There is also some contention as to whether a CoB is suited to a 2000 point list. Some believe the Cauldron shouldn`t be taken in an Army worth any less than 2500 or 3000 points. Despite this, some Dark Elf Generals have proved that a 2000 pt. CoB themed Army can be successful vs. most comers. It just takes much skill in Army selection, deployment, and Tactics.

But hell, that applies to the Dark Elves in general.

To Monkeylord and the doubters I say this; continue to persevere with the CoB. Check out the Army List and Tactics Forums, try fielding a CC orientated Army with lots of multiple Attack units and remember to throw in at least three units of Dark Riders. These guys not only get alot nastier in CC, but are crucial to setting up the rest of your force for Charges, screening, March Blocking etc. Really, the usual DR tricks, but they shouldn`t just fall back on harrassing the Flanks. DR`s can be the difference between success and failure with a CoB Army in my experience. Without alot of Missile troops, you rely more on them than ever. I actually like to take four units of 5 DR`s.

Anyway, there are endless configurations and Tactics that apply to using the CoB. Check out the Forums.

If you prefer to hedge your bets, then take 2 RBT`s AND the CoB. I`d prefer another unit of Witches or Corsairs though.

Finally, I noticed that Monkeylord said his CoB got shot down within the first two turns regularly. Remember that since the revision, Shooting vs. the CoB is randomised between the CoB and the Guardians. This was not so pre revision, when the guardians (and therefore the Cauldron), were alot more vulnerable.

Are you randomising the Shooting against your CoB Monkeylord ? If so, then your opponents must have a heck of alot of Shooting, and be very lucky to shoot your Cauldron down within the first two turns. And if this is the case, then the rest of your Army should gain the enemy battleline intact after being ignored by all the Shooting that the CoB has attracted.

Just wondering. ;)
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Ok, I'm seeing the obvious right off the bat... You have an extremely H2H oriented army heavy with very, very little ranged support, almost entirely geared towards getting mired into H2H. I can see how that might color one's experience.

Now, the whole reason I wanted to try the Couldron to begin with was because it looked impressive on paper. But, like I said before, my CoKs, chariots, and WE combos typically roll over my opponents anyway, Couldron or no. (more on the Witch Elves in a minute). So perhaps my poor experiences with the CoB were simply due to the fact that I was trying to shue horn it into an already successful list that didn't really *need* it.

Your list, on the other hand, I would actually be afriad to field *without* the CoB. :D Frankly, I'm just too in love with RBTs to leave them at home... But someday, I might try an army composition like yours for shizz and giggles to see how it does.

Point of Contention: I have to vehemently disagree with your assessment of my block of 20 Witch Elves... it is most certainly not a waste. While I see the value in MSU theory, Witch Elves don't have to adhere to it to be successful. My experience with this unit and this list (sans the CoB) has been nothing but splendid, with very few exceptions. In all of 6th edition, I can count the number of times I've lost that unit on two hands, if that... Largely because I do take great pains to prevent compulsory charges Now, when I *have* lost the unit, it's almost invariably because I couldn't prevent them from being lured into a charge. But generally, that's what my shooting is often for: to kill units intended for that purpose.

And while I'm thinking about it, I don't recall a single instance where I've actually lost that unit to shooting right off hand... Probably because I usually get them into combat before that happens. Not that a demise via arrow/bolt/rifle fire isn't possible, I just do my best to prevent that prospect.

In any case, I have never regretting fielding that unit... Being able to absorb missile fire and have some static CR by the time they get into combat has always been an important element to their success. However, I have always, always regretted it when I fail to field enough of them. 15-20 has always been a good number for me. But then, this largely boils down to playstyle.

Now, I've also tried deploying them in two units of 10, with mixed results. Often, they get shot up to the point when they have less than 5 models in the front rank before they get into combat, and they are no longer able to carry their weight on the field.

Ok, so to summate my feelings after absorbing our discussion:
1.) The ability to re-roll wounds can obviously be a huge advantage. That much is a no brainer, and I don't contend that.

2.) My issues with the CoB seem largely to be due to the fact that I was adding it as a component to an already successful list... It just so happens, however, many of the advantages conferred by the CoB were mitigated by the fact that my list already revolved around fewer, harder hitting units that didn't really need the help.

3.) A list that is going to include the CoB really needs to be constructed from the start around the intent of using the boost from CoB to maximum advantage.

4.) Regardless, my preferred playstyle is not well suited to an immobile altar with a 24" range. In my games, it became an issue on several occasions that made me gnash my teeth. But more power to you if you have great success with it. Again, successful use of the CoB revolves around a playstyle that maximizes its advantages.

I still don't understand your misgivings about our RBTs. I think they are magnificent. (and my opponents absolutely hate them, which is more than enough for me) :)

----------------

@Victor: Good points, all, especially about the inappropriate enemy, which we haven't really discussed at length. My regular foes are Wood Elves, Dwarves, Empire, Vampire Counts, Skaven, Orcs & Gobbos, and Bretonians.

And yes, I was distributing the hits vs. the CoB. Now, as I said, in two games, I lost the Couldron to missile fire. Lucky hits, yes. And in both occasions, it was when I put the CoB front and center to try and garner the most available area on the board. Unfortunately, there wasn't much terrain to block line of sight in either game. In the game against the wood elves (the one in which I lost it in the first turn), he had two units of archers fire at it, and a unit of Waywatchers, who included a hero that poured a Hail of Doom into it.

Of course, that's a lot of attention drawn away from my other stuff, which is great. 200 points great? I dunno. That was an expensive arrow magnet. :P

In the end, I think I wound up pulling that game out of the fire, largely because my RBTs saved my butt by killing his Treeman. I was able to perry and reposte with some good luck of my own! :P
Last edited by Monkeylord on Tue May 27, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

MonkeyLord wrote:Ok, so to summate my feelings after absorbing our discussion:
1.) The ability to re-roll wounds can obviously be a huge advantage. That much is a no brainer, and I don't contend that.

2.) My issues with the CoB seem largely to be due to the fact that I was adding it as a component to an already successful list... It just so happens, however, many of the advantages conferred by the CoB were mitigated by the fact that my list already revolved around fewer, harder hitting units that didn't really need the help.

3.) A list that is going to include the CoB really needs to be constructed from the start around the intent of using the boost from CoB to maximum advantage.

4.) Regardless, my preferred playstyle is not well suited to an immobile altar with a 24" range. In my games, it became an issue on several occasions that made me gnash my teeth. But more power to you if you have great success with it. Again, successful use of the CoB revolves around a playstyle that maximizes its advantages.

Fair enough. Army list is certainly a relevant factor in fielding it, but this is not different then any unit. Units should not be added to an army just because, they should have a purpose and intent with in it.
I still don't understand your misgivings about our RBTs. I think they are magnificent. (and my opponents absolutely hate them, which is more than enough for me) :)

My misgivings are their way below damage for the price.
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=23375
Statistically they are the least damaging warmachine in warhammer, and do very little to solve any of the weaknesses the army has.
Do less damage then comparable gunner units if using multi shot, and cost more then two or three times as much as other bolt throwers if taking a single shot.