Cauldron of Blood

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tar-ciryan
Warrior

Cauldron of Blood

Post by Tar-ciryan »

I saw this on the GW site.

"Finally, the Cauldron of Blood, an ancient artifact of long-gone days when the gods walked the earth, can restore the youth and vitality of the brides of Khaine who bathe in it and all Dark Elf troops proximate to the cauldron are affected by Frenzy."

Now, this is probably just a gaming word being used in a fluff context and has no real substance to it, but it made me think. Possible new rule?
(°°) Cthulhu themed corsairs FTW!
/()\ Brotherhood of the Coast!
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

I really hope thats not true, cause that would mean that basically the entire Dark Elf army would be subject to Frenzy and Hatred.

Are we the new mindless, screaming, minions of Khorne?
By everything that's good and holy, (or evil and wrong) I hope thats not happening!
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

I wouldnt read too much into it, GW often does these things (ie make descriptions that are not even close to how it works in the game).
Duffman327
Executioner

Post by Duffman327 »

wow a whole khorne army. finally i can use my DE in my Deamon army.

i dont like that 1 bit
I am the Silent Wind of Doom... Whoosh!
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

If it's true, I would toss my cauldron by the window.

We're not an army of Khorne. I don't know here you saw that but I'm pretty sure it won't be the rule of the next Cauldron because I think it would be more useless than it is now. I don't say that the current Cauldron isn't good, but it's doesn't worth it right now.
Die go
Executioner

Post by Die go »

It should be a mistake, refered to the Blood Frenzy the Cauldron has always given to our troops. Lately I´m reading so many written mistakes in GW material, so I wouldn´t be surprised.
"Brother, while you burn, you belong to life."
Black corsair
Trainee Warrior

Post by Black corsair »

Wouldn't that just work on just temple units tho? Like WE and Execs?
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

Crawd wrote:If it's true, I would toss my cauldron by the window.

We're not an army of Khorne. I don't know here you saw that but I'm pretty sure it won't be the rule of the next Cauldron because I think it would be more useless than it is now. I don't say that the current Cauldron isn't good, but it's doesn't worth it right now.

The cauldron right now is amazing.
I hope it doesn't change one bit.
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

I agree with Linda...

If it should be interpreted, I'd believe it could be a reference to the +1 A when charging, as there has been quite a few rumors on this. +1 A is after all quite a lot like frenzy, just without bonus/weakness...
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

...or the reroll to wound rolls as it is now. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Zeth wrote:The cauldron right now is amazing.
I hope it doesn't change one bit.

I didn't say it's not good, I think it's overpriced and should do something else for it's actual price.
Minsc

Post by Minsc »

The current cauldron is indeed very overpriced, especially since its so "easy" to outshoot it/kill it in close combat with almost anything.
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

I believe GW is using the word `Frenzy` as a figure of speech. That is to say they`re NOT using it to describe the Dark Elf troops as Frenzied in Gaming terms.

In the passage quoted by Tar-Ciryan, it does sound a bit like the Druchii troops ARE affected by Frenzy ("are affected by Frenzy") in Game terms. I`d have to read the quote in context with the whole article/blurb to see whether it is written in such a way to imply the passage is Rules related or Fluff related. If it`s Fluff related, then I think Frenzy is a figure of speech. If it`s more Rules related, then maybe it IS in Game terms. I just find it hard to believe that GW would give us the double uncontrollable whammy of Army Wide Hatred and Frenzy.

If Frenzy IS applicable to all Troops in `proximity` of the CoB, a whole new approach would be required to use the Army effectively (and maintain some kind of control over it) when fielding the CoB.

And if that`s the case, then GW is taking the Druchii nearer a place that I don`t like. Frothing semi-controlled masses. Sounds like a cross between Khornate Chaos, and O&G`s to me. I `spose it`s only when fielding the CoB, but that makes using it a very fraught prospect.

Anyway. I have faith that GW wont break the Dark Elves in regard to using the CoB. (He says hopefully...).
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Narius phinshredder
Executioner

Post by Narius phinshredder »

Does anyone know if GW are going to produce a new model for the Cauldron or are they sticking with the current one??? I know there was lots of talk of it going to go back to a mobile version.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

All we know to this date is, there is no hint of a new model yet.

Bye
Thanee
Narius phinshredder
Executioner

Post by Narius phinshredder »

Thanee wrote:All we know to this date is, there is no hint of a new model yet.

Bye
Thanee

Thanks, It's just I noticed that over the last few weeks there's been quite a few on ebay new for pretty good prices!
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

Please don't give it wheels GW as I'll have to go buy mounts for the bottom and model my own wheels. I'm not paying 45 bucks for a new cauldron just cause it has wheels.
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

jayferd22 wrote:Please don't give it wheels GW as I'll have to go buy mounts for the bottom and model my own wheels. I'm not paying 45 bucks for a new cauldron just cause it has wheels.

Just make a conversion then. I haven't painted mine because I wanna know if it will change or not.
Jayferd22
Executioner

Post by Jayferd22 »

Actually I think I might have enough spare parts from a orc chariot laying around I could attack to the bottom.
The time for critical thinking is becoming critical I think
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

sarlaccfood wrote:Thanks, It's just I noticed that over the last few weeks there's been quite a few on ebay new for pretty good prices!

Then I would go for it, I guess. The guardians are very sweet models and for them alone it's worth it, IMHO. In fact, I'm thinking about getting a few CoBs from ebay (when I can get them for a reasonable price), just for them. :D

Maybe there will be a new model somewhere in the future, but that doesn't make older models unusable. *shrug*

For now, there are/were pretty accurate lists on the web already about which models we will get with the new book this year... and the cauldron was not part of it. Check the (official) rumors roundup thread for more details.

Bye
Thanee
Survivor
Shade

Post by Survivor »

Maybe it could be something like Frenzy for all units within 6" of the cauldron and 12" or 18" or any distance for Witch Elves? Not saying that would be good, just saying maybe. You`d have to be very careful where you place your troops.
It is time...
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

I seriously doubt that all our troops will have frenzy - it would make them plain unusable, and be far too dangerous. My guess is that it will stay pretty much the same. Possibly with wheels, that would not be a problem for me, got the old one.
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

Minsc wrote:The current cauldron is indeed very overpriced, especially since its so "easy" to outshoot it/kill it in close combat with almost anything.

Have you used the current cauldron?
Easy to out shoot it? of course it has no shooting...easy to shoot down not at all, need to kill three crew after randomization and then you need to get through a 4+ ward save. Just about the hardest warmachine in the game to kill with shooting.

As for in CC, very few mage killing units will actually kill the three guardians, and then what ever is left is likely to either win wear down the opposing troop or they are likely to hold a few rounds, which is all you should need anyway.

The thing is amazing.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Zeth wrote:The thing is amazing.

QFT. It turns my little DR into frothing maniacs (Kebab!). Not even mentioning the horses.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Hopefully the cauldron will be useful on a much wider scale with the new book.