Dirtlord... who's thinking of using him?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ukko
Shade

Dirtlord... who's thinking of using him?

Post by Ukko »

Just wondering what the general feeling is towards the potential new dreadlord on dragon with inverse ward and regen - is it really going to be turning up everywhere? I was getting the impression that there were no real "easy choices" in the new book from a WAAC perspective but a lot of people (non-druchii players obviously) seem to be quite shocked by this combo. What do ye reckon - will he be a staple in GT lists, etc - is he going to be that effective?

Understand I'm not a very competitive player at all but I wouldn't mind trying him out once or twice, there's a few hard-as-nails lists floating around I wouldn't mind taking on on level ground, manfred/drakenhoof, elite tzeencth/galrauch, etc - really nice lads but demoralising for those of us less... despotic in our list-making.
Steve tu
Beastmaster

Post by Steve tu »

I wont be fielding him on a dragon - I think it ties up too many points in protective gear. If you are playing him right, you shouldnt need a ward save and a regen save. On a dragon he needs to rack up kills etc...

If you are up against something really tough then I would imagine he would be targetting the dragon anyway - I know I would!

I would only field that combo if he was on foot in a unit of BG and was there to tie up killer characters and beat them on CR.
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

Our new Dragonlord is scarier than the HE Dragonlord, at least vs most rank and file.

Dragon /w Hatred makes sure most attacks hit, and our Dreadlord is both hittier and more resilient than the HE counterpart.

I would expect myself to field a DE Dreadlord on Dragon on atleast a few occasions.
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

I agree with davieste that the combination of regen and the ward save is overkill, you really should only need one of them.

I would only field that combo if he was on foot in a unit of BG and was there to tie up killer characters and beat them on CR.

I'd rather give him executioners axe and blood armour, and give the unit the ASF banner, the problem is that nobodey would ever charge the unit though, and it would be horibly expencive.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Steve tu
Beastmaster

Post by Steve tu »

I agree, but IF I was going to use the ward/regen combo, it would be on foot in the BG. I doubt I ever will though.
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

I'm gonna give that combo a shot and see what happens. But my guess is that it will be overkill.
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

You don't need that much on a dragon. I used him with the HSoD all the time and he never died anyway, because only HE would ever strike before him, and those who don't strike before him tend to not strike at all. If you want an unkillable dreadlord you're better of with a horse as mount.
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

I would go with the Armour of Regeneration and Pendant of Unkilliness together. With Full kit that ensures that your Dragonlord is essentially unkillable, and becomes a 5+ Ward Save for the Dragon.

Strap on a nice weapon, like the Crimson Death, or the Deathpiercer, or give him Mundane Lance and the Potion of Strength and you've got a character that will last the whole battle AND rack up a bunch of kills. If he doesn't die, that's a lot of VP that your opponent isn't getting.

Remember that many types of attack bypass Regeneration, and the Pendant only works against attacks with a S value. This might be a good reason to give him a Null Talisman or the Ring of Hotek as well. 2+ AS vs Shooting is good, but only 3+ in Combat is not the greatest armour out there...
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I would hold off on the rush to declare him "unkillalb" until he sees the table a few times and opponents have a chance to get to grips with the combo.

Personally, I very rarely field dragons at all but that may change with all the thirtsters, sumper vamps and great unclean ones showing up nowadays.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Krystalice2020
Dark Rider

Post by Krystalice2020 »

As far as Highborns go, I never use them on a dragon... not because they're not good, but because I can't stand putting tha many points into something. I prefer:

Highborn
Hydra Blade
Inverse Ward
Potion of Strength
Shield
Heavy Armour
Sea Dragon Cloak
Chariot.

This combo in and of itself can break a RaF unit on the charge. lets say 4 impacts hits, wounding HE spearman on a 2+ and they won't get armour. Then they attack him... he has a 2+ AS and a 4+ (effectively) ward save. Then he comes at them with 5-7 attacks that'll all hit (mostly) and wound on a 3+. then you get the rider and the cold ones... You're killing like 7 Guys.. That beats Static combat res from the unit even if they have a war banner. You're not guranteed to break, but you significantly diminished their numbers and you can bring in your CoK or even corsairs after that to finish them off.
Vorthain
Noble

Post by Vorthain »

That's the same gear I'm thinking, except I'm taking a middle road by using a manticore. The dark peg might be OK, but after fighting a battle against Empire and having multiple units fail Terror tests to be broken and run down (flown down?) by a griffin, I'm seeing Terror's virtues.
a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

vorthain wrote:That's the same gear I'm thinking, except I'm taking a middle road by using a manticore. The dark peg might be OK, but after fighting a battle against Empire and having multiple units fail Terror tests to be broken and run down (flown down?) by a griffin, I'm seeing Terror's virtues.

Yeah I'm a fan on manticores. I only take dragons in 3000+ otherwise I feel dirty. However if I'm going to be playing someone who regularly takes Stardragons/special characters/greater demons.. then I'll probably bust out the dragon.

I can't decide if I want the regen armor or not. PoK is a no brainer. I think I'll try running with just the PoK for awhile and I'll see how he does.
Hate is my weapon.
Krystalice2020
Dark Rider

Post by Krystalice2020 »

The regen armour is REALLY good, but i'd only take it if i wasn't spending points on other items and some else already had armour of darkness or if i was on a cold one.
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

I'll give him armor of Darkness combined with Pendant of Khaeleth and Crimson Death, I am sure he'll prove to be a monster.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

What about Lifetaker with those spare points? Though I guess his BS is already good.
Decker_cky
Black Guard

Post by Decker_cky »

For a lord on dragon, I'd probably take the pendent with either the potion of strength/hydra blade combo, or caledor's bane. Top up with all the mundane protection and you should be fine.
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Caledors Bane and Potion of Strength would really make that Dreadlord a cannon!
~ Nag
Decker_cky
Black Guard

Post by Decker_cky »

It would....but the only reason I could see you taking that combo is to either crush a steam tank in one turn, or to have S7 in the second round.
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Hehe yes but it's more of an insane thought than an actual suggestion.
~ Nag
Halbarad
Executioner

Post by Halbarad »

I have been thinking about this combo since I read about it yesterday and though it's very good, I'm curious how it would stand against low S killing blow attacks?

It's all good and well getting a ward save and regen against multiple high S attacks (bloodthrister being the main opponent quoted as not being able to kill him) but when he is faced with something like WE waywatchers with S3 killing blow how does he fair? he has a ward save but that's pretty much it (I can't remember if Regen works against killing blow, or how it would work against killing blow).
I live on the edge. Between Life and Death, Light and Dark, Insanity and Genius. I protect you all from what you truly are and what I know you to be.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

Killing blow ignores armour and regen so waywatchers are probably the bane of most dreadlords. Although mounted on a dragon you could just stay out of half range of them to avoid killing blow.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

Or close up to them and breath them away forcing a panic and terror at the start of next turn!
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Well those suggestions would work, but the best thing would be to take Armor of Darkness and Pendant and don't use regen, it can easily be negated.
~ Nag
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

I'm using Dreadlord on Dark Steed with 2+ AS (1+ against shooting)
Inverse Ward Save, and Regeneration. Should be nice.
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

I prefer the term Captain Scarlet, not Dirtlord used to describe a Dreadlord with the AoES and PoK combo :P But it really depends on your preference, some people will run it because they think it's really broken, but I've heard murmurings about it's flaws. But I can't possibly think what flaws Captain Scarlet has, he's the invincible man!
"Ghost"

WS: 5
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 4

Skills: Basic Stealth, Stealth.
Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator