Mengil in the new list?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Emal
Executioner

Mengil in the new list?

Post by Emal »

I am one of many Mengil Manflayer fans in the world.
And here is my question.
How many of you would like to see him as a special character in the new dark elves list that is coming ever closer? I know I am.
For the druchii
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

I would, but sadly he isn't in the book. Can still take him as a DoD special though!
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

And if he and his Manflayers got errata that made them privy to the new Druchii hatred rules, that would be even juicier! (thanks to their never pursue rule, essentially nullifying any disadvantage!)
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

I've got my fingers crossed that they will do something similar to the last update where they make a large errata/edits to the book (where the WILL give my cold ones a second attack!) and include Mengil's updated rules there, as well as some reference to the CoS seeing as there is expected to be none.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

I wouldn't expect that ;)

It was done last time because the book was truly awful, this time rumours seem to indicate that this will not be the case.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

He is mentioned in the new book, but is not part of the new book. There are no stats or rules for the manflayers, I assume because they are still considered a DOW unit.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Yourmumrang
Noble

Post by Yourmumrang »

Laz, you don't happen to be on Eldaronline do you?
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

No, visited Asur.org a few times during a long past campaign, but that's it for WFB related sites. Back on topic, I saw the new book at Baltimore GD today, refer to my post in the spearhead thread...it's gonna be sweet.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

@ getwisteerd:

True, true, but I am still hoping (is it a crime to dream?). All I really want is a 20-30 pt drop for Mengil, and to give them the new army-wide hate rule.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Cenyu
Khaindar

Post by Cenyu »

You can still use their nice models as proxies for either Shades or Corsairs.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Ya, the new shade rules almost make them Manflayers, but I want Mengil's character and his awesome standard that comes in handy so often.

- Lonely
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

and poisoned attacks on all their weapons made them quite lethal against a lot of stuff!
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Mmmmmmm too true.

- Lonely
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

I have used Mengil in recent quite often and he was all in all the one who turned a loss into victory.

Thouggh I hope he will keep a DoW because if he was in the new book he would automatically take a hero slot which is not that good in my opinion...
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Yuna
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yuna »

Lonely Shade wrote:Ya, the new shade rules almost make them Manflayers, but I want Mengil's character and his awesome standard that comes in handy so often.

- Lonely

Not at all!

For Mengil and co:

beter AS, Poison, special banner, VP...19pts :shock:

Mengil and his guys are far beter IMHO
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Well Mengil and his crew are indeed slightly better than Shades, however they also are considerably more expensive, and a unit of them inevitably costs far more than 300 points if you really want to make use of them, and they don't have armor piercing crossbows or WS5 or Hatred. And you can have more than one unit of shades too. So all in all I find it sad that Man Flayers are gone (I rarely ever played without them, just because they have so much style 8) ) but the new shades make up for that by costing less and being better in combat (I remember once when my man flayers bounced off a unit of brettonian knights because they missed all their attacks...).

I think that I quite like the new shades, and the fact that they make those fierce shadow warriors look like children... I can't wait for the first time playing with my new shades :twisted:

And the option for great weapons justifies using those awesome man flayer models too... Mengil will make a great blood shade :D

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

@ yuna:

I was gonna respond to that, but Mr. A just said exactly what I was gonna say.

- Lonely
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

Wait... Why would mengil be gone? It states in his description that dark elf armies can take them (as special choices).

He's still there.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I tried to adress this topic in a specific thread:
Druchii Discussion > GW plans to stop availability of DoW for non-DoW armies.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=54954&highlight=
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lowcash »

I think I will continue to put him in my lists, as long as my opponent is OK with it, the new rules be damned. I just got the models so I am no longer using proxies so I am not about to stop using them. Mengil single handedly killed an Ogre tyrant with a tenderizer and that 5+ ward save among other goodies. I can't leave a unit that bad assed at home!
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi