The new book summary, as reported by Milney

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

Yea sorry, it says in the rule book that all models count as having a hand weapon in addition to their basic gear if hand weapon is not listed
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Jankiel
Corsair

Post by Jankiel »

Can anyone give a strong approval/disapproval

*Strong disapproval*
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Khel wrote:
Aspiring Executioner wrote:Yes Khel, they can either be upgraded with two hand weapons or great weapons (not sure if they're allowed to take both, I hope so). Keep up with the rumours buddy :lol:

Point me in the direction of the nearest digger so I can shift through the mountain of rumours which are within the DD forum.

What unit is discussed here?

Exes cannot have 2 handweapons. They come with gw and they have a handweapon.

If you choose to use their handweapon then of course the KB rule will work. It's a technicality, a loophole or whatever but you would apply it. The second attack would come from the cauldron.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

I was thinking of Shades woops... :oops:
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Aspiring Executioner wrote:I was thinking of Shades woops... :oops:

Heh heh. Keep up with the rumours ey? :lol: <end gloat>
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Dark Alliance wrote:
sulla wrote:
Dark Alliance wrote:If a Sorceress is with a unit that fails stupidity, she cannot cast.

Nope. Not if she's not stupid herself. Last paragraph of pg78 stupidity;characters section sums it up best. So put her on a dark steed in the CoK's and she can still cast.

Because the Sorceress is on a cold one in the example above, if the stupidity test is failed she cannot cast. I kinda didn't put the bit in about her needing to be on a dark steed because I thought that was the obvious solution.

Fair enough. But the statement I quoted was incorrect. Just clearing it up for those who might not know better...
Nekros
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nekros »

Black Guard 13pts

Is it possible?
If you go to see the list already posted (a photo from the new DE armylist: "The spiteful host of Ghrond"), you can see that the cost for 20 BG with full command is 335 pts, without magic items o magic banner.

So: 15*20=300 335-300=35 that is a normal cost for the full command
Instead: 13*20=260 335-260=75 that I really think is too much for the full command.

Then, my argument can be not sure, but is quite probable.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

That armylist is full of errors.

Bye
Thanee
Oleo etuger
Slave on the Altar

Post by Oleo etuger »

Perhaps we can close some of the gaps left in the book summary? There are still no points cost for the special units, I wonder if they changed.

Also, does anyone with the book know if Harpies also have Eternal Hatred?
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Harpies don't have hatred, but can use generals LD

Eternal Hatred: Dark Elves hate everyone. Against High Elves this hatred continues in subsequent rounds
of combat. Only unit that havn't Eternal Hatred is a harpies. BG and War Hydra do have "Eternal Hatred".
Actually, BG have EH and will always pursue. "Elite warrior" for BG is reroll missess in every round of
combat, against any type of opponent.
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

So our warhydra has hatred as well, even though it isn't a mount? That is quite nasty. :twisted:
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Quakeboone
Slave on the Altar
Location: Somewhere in the dark... searching for the switch to know where exactly it is

Post by Quakeboone »

It's said on page 1 that SDC halves the strength of ranged attacks for wounding. Does this meaning intend that modification for AS is resolved at the regular strength of the attack?
If so i see the coak vanishing again in the shadow of the many stronger items...

Somewhere i read that shadowblade couldn't be revealed or discovered in the first turn. Could someone clarify that please, does it mean i needn't role the dice in the first turn?
Well that won't matter, i'll use him anyway

Sry for my impatience but i'm already busy writing lists to playtest this new awesome dark elves :D .

19th ....still seems sooooo long
Masterofdarkness

Thank god im getting mine on the 18th. Well in regards to the strength being halved for wounding, when else would it be halved for hitting? The strength is what modifies the save so yes I think it affects it.

Master of arneim

Post by Master of arneim »

So our warhydra has hatred as well, even though it isn't a mount? That is quite nasty.

I don't think so. I think only the apprentices have hatred, not the monster.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

its already been reported numerous times that the Hydra has Eternal Hatred as well.
Master of arneim

Post by Master of arneim »

its already been reported numerous times that the Hydra has Eternal Hatred as well.

I think I've lost the numerous passages indeed. If the harpies cannot get hatred, why should get it the Hydra? Other monsters take hatred only for the rules, because they're mounted. If it's tuly so (as you confirm) this is really really huge.

Edit: to clarify: I saw that "the Hydra has got ethernal hatred". I understood that "hydra" as the Hydra unit, so thinking about the apprentices only. I didn't see that clear probably.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

The hydra no doubt gets it because the beast is trained by the Dark Elves to be a spiteful and dangerous beast of war.

They probably haven't has as much success with the more feral harpies.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

The Hydra gets hatred because it is goaded into combat/lead by beastmaster handlers that form part of a unit together with the hydra and the handlers have hatred (it works like a mount). The harpies flit about on their own.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

so if both handlers die the hydra looses hatred i guess?
At last, we will have revenge...
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I doubt it. But I have not seen the new book so I cannot be sure.

If both handlers die I assume you still need to take roll a monster reaction and see what happens.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

damn i am making a list now - i just realized i can't combine the Lifetaker with Darkstar Cloak anymore...
infact there is no useful option to give the Lifetaker to a sorc now... :cry:
this item is perfect for a sorcs, because she should evade combat (can use this item almost every round) and always hit on 2+ is nice for her low BS - but i don't see a good combination.
any suggestions?

and i don't see a good option to get the seal of ghrond onto a sorc - thx to point increase... damn why are these both (+1DD; +1CD) have +5 points? :evil:

edit: if these points are correct only way is to combine darkstar cloak with powerstone or dispell scroll, same goes for seal of ghrond; wtf - did no one see this? or does no one care?
Gladeius
Shade

Post by Gladeius »

Saithis wrote:and i don't see a good option to get the seal of ghrond onto a sorc - thx to point increase... damn why are these both (+1DD; +1CD) have +5 points? :evil:

edit: if these points are correct only way is to combine darkstar cloak with powerstone or dispell scroll, same goes for seal of ghrond; wtf - did no one see this? or does no one care?

That's what I've been asking!
Dangerous toys are fun but you could get hurt. ;3
Masterofdarkness

In the milney post it said power stones were 20 points, that leads me to think dispel are the same. So seal and dispel scroll.

Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

masterofdarkness wrote:In the milney post it said power stones were 20 points, that leads me to think dispel are the same. So seal and dispel scroll.

but dispel scroll was not mentioned to be less than 25 points - no one said a word about them. don't think this assumption is correct....
what are they thinking? did no playtester had a classical list with 2 level2 sorcs? this is obvious... :shock:

edit: Gladeius - sorry but i did not read every page here. guess i overlooked your post; if that's true... thats bad bad bad! i mean you can't use a level2 sorc with that bound spell thing and now this - if you want to have +1DD or +1PD you have serious problems to get a useful combination. infact - only thing i see is darstar cloak with dispell scroll and seal of g. with powerstone - worse than before for sure (combine both or cloack with lifetaker; other sorc seal with dispel scroll!)
Last edited by Saithis on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extremor
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Extremor »

Saithis wrote:damn i am making a list now - i just realized i can't combine the Lifetaker with Darkstar Cloak anymore...
infact there is no useful option to give the Lifetaker to a sorc now... :cry:
this item is perfect for a sorcs, because she should evade combat (can use this item almost every round) and always hit on 2+ is nice for her low BS - but i don't see a good combination.
any suggestions?

and i don't see a good option to get the seal of ghrond onto a sorc - thx to point increase... damn why are these both (+1DD; +1CD) have +5 points? :evil:

its obvious that the really useful items are at 30+ so champs cant equip them!!! reasonable but unfair *cry*