Lore of Metal

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Lore of Metal

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

I was just flipping through the BRB last night and I thought I'd look in on the lore of Metal as we can now supposedly choose it. It seems that it's not a bad lore at all. Plenty of damage dealing spells, and good ones at that and some nice stat reducing spells aimed at armour.

As I dont tend to make magic heavy, or really magic anything lists that often, I was wondering what some of the more frequent magic users thought of this law in comparison to the others?
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Oh it sure is a good lore! I told my friend last night that I have access to it now and he was like: "Those are no goo- Damn! I'll get owned."

I think Lore of Metal is one of the best lores, sure it depends on oponent but still it's quite cool.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

I plan on using Lore of Metal vs Chaos Warriors
Lore of Fire vs Wood Elves
Delta_man_sam
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delta_man_sam »

I find Dark Magic better for taking out armour than metal, black horror and soul stealer can end up doing a much better job. But on high toughness and strenght armies with armour the lore of metal is the way forward.
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

I think Lore of Metal will be reserved for my Brettonnian, Empire, and Dwarf opponents, should they ever appear.

In the meantime, I'm still happy with Death, Dark, and Shadow.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I use all the time Metal when I play Empire.
Everything shoots at 24".
It is by far the best lore against heavily armored opponents, i.e. Brettonnian, Empire, and Dwarf (who happen to be my main opponents).

Against lightlier armoured ones, however, I'd rather take Fire.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Although i will generally be staying true to the druchii with dark magic, lore of fire is a must against high toughness good save enemies - namely dwarfs and chaos mortals. Against these, 2 metal lvl 2s and a lvl 2 dark mage will suffice.
Nurik0
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nurik0 »

I always take a lvl4 and lvl2.
The lvl 4 will always have dark magic.
The lvl2 will now be switching between fire and metal based on the opponent. Making my list more versatile against more armys.
Krystalice2020
Dark Rider

Post by Krystalice2020 »

Whenever I use Magic-users (not that often) I field a Lvl 4 (usually morathi) with Dark magic and a Lvl 2 with Death or Metal...

I like death magic because it deals a whole lot of damage, and it has Doom an Darkness, which (if I'm not already in a really good combat position) will help me break my opponents...

Just looking through the topic, I notice a lot of you using FIre... Can someone explain to me why fire magic is so good? It looks like a worse version of death to me...
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

Now that we've got access to the lore of metal, we'll definitely be a tough opponent to face. Take a look at this rough summary of our 5 lores and what they do.

Lore or Shadow: movement and psychology bonuses with a little danage for fast-moving games

Lore of Death: Self-explanatory

Lore of Fire: dealing out damage in large amounts, particularly against wood elves and trolls, as well as giving our sorceresses some HtH potential (with flaming sword of rhuin)

Lore of Metal: dealing with war machines, heavily armoured opponents and magic items (thank you law of gold)

Lore of Dark Magic: Damage dealing with a psychological twist

Have a magic-heavy army and you could specialize against just about any opponent, and the lore of metal is the key to all that. Without it, we'd be shot to pieces and hacked apart by Dwarfs and Chaos Mortal.

With the Lore of Metal on our side, all shall quake before us, be they mortal or not.
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

O' yes Lore of Metal sure is powerful. I do not like when my Slaan fielding friend destroys all those wards.
~ Nag
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

Yes i think it was the Lore of Metal that made me think that the dwarves especially were not so scary anymore. We have an answer to everything they have now, Im honestly thinking of fielding 2 lvl 2's for the first time in my life, or a single lvl 4.
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

I'd rather go with 2 lvl2's but I have no idea where to put them (which unit)...
~ Nag
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

Help out on this one, why is metal considered so good?

Rule of Burning Iron - so this is good against characters or knights, or beasts and things with regen.

Commandment of Brass - good against dwarf warmachines, but against empire I would rather kill 2-3 crew with Bladewind's CC attacks.

Transmutation of lead - good when you charge, but not when about to be charged. So Word of Pain is on par with this spell I'd say.

Distillation of Molten Silver - A very reliable flaming magic missile. But dark magic has more damage spells than metal, all of them about as good as this one.

Law of Gold - This is very situational, even so, it looks useful. But you have to hope for a good dice roll even after it goes through.

The Spirit of the Forge - So it basically deals around 1-7 unsaved wounds, and it's flaming. So this spell is good against certain things that dark magic might not be.

However, against knights and armoured troops in general, I think Black Horror, Soul Stealer, and Doombolt >> Spirit of the Forge, Distillation of Molten Silver, and Rule of Burning Iron. And Chillwind and Bladewind >>> than Commandment of Brass and Law of Gold
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

Law of Gold - My friend almost always casts it on my characters and he has ALWAYS broken my god damn items, never has he rolled -3 but ALWAYS a 4+.... I hate that spell.
~ Nag
Elfik
Assassin

Post by Elfik »

Law of Gold - My friend almost always casts it on my characters and he has ALWAYS broken my god damn items, never has he rolled -3 but ALWAYS a 4+.... I hate that spell.

It's a preference thing but I don't like this spell. It's either really annoying for the ennemy, or annoying nfor you because you could roll 3- all the time.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Metal is the best against Wood Elves for a Level 4 caster, I've done it with my high elves oh so many times.
Elfik
Assassin

Post by Elfik »

SilverHeimdall wrote:Metal is the best against Wood Elves for a Level 4 caster, I've done it with my high elves oh so many times.

Care to elaborate? I assume your main targets are the tree stuff?
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Spell #2 is obviously useless against Wood elves except when they take DoW Cannons (some do that!)

Spell #3 really hurts any of his elite close combat units: Wardancers, Wildriders, any Heroes

Spell #4 is a normal spell

Spell #5 won't destroy annoyance of netlings (since its not an item) but it will give you a chance to get rid of other annoying items like the 3+ ward save or hail of doom arrow.

Spell #6 will make a campfire out of a treeman in one swift cast if you roll high enough on the Hits, as you only need 3x a 5 or 6 on 'To wound' to destroy the treeman, he gets no armour or ward save against it.

I also killed a wood elf alter noble that had 4+ armor, with spirit of the forge ;D

Spell #1 CAN but rarely will damage a treeman.
Elfik
Assassin

Post by Elfik »

Sounds good, more so with the Tome of Furion for that spell#6.
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

I really like the look of lore of metal, always have and now that I have started DE I think it will be the first lore I try. It appeals to me because it seems more versatile than other lores and all the spells are of good quality and will probably be of some use in almost any battle. And since all spells are 24", the range is very nice too.

At the moment I play HofC and most of the time I take fire, or fire and shadow.. Shadow is good, but I always end up with steed of shadows witch usually does me no good, but I like the rest of the spells.

Fire is superb at dealing damage, but that is all and if your opponent is heavily armored it's not very good. The flaming sword of rhuin is very situational as well. How often do you want your wizard in combat anyway? I always hope for it, +2S +1A hit on 2 is deadly for a daemon prince, but questionable on anyone else IMO. I really wish there was a way I could get that spell every game! :twisted:
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

Yea Shadows is great, especially when you get off a Pit of
Shades against Orcs/Lizards/Drawfs/Treemen :twisted:
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Im thinking in a magic heavy army army to run the following set up:

lvl 4 - dark magic - tome of furion, seal of ghrond
lvl 2 - dark magic - lifetaker
lvl 2 - lore of metal - scroll
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

Sounds kewl
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Tjd
Corsair

Post by Tjd »

Im thinking in a magic heavy army army to run the following set up:

lvl 4 - dark magic - tome of furion, seal of ghrond
lvl 2 - dark magic - lifetaker

reall? you wont be taking any of our amazing new arcane items? the blade, familiar or staff?