DR with shields?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Mr. A makes another good point there about using COKs to soak up missile. 2+ save means they are an excellent and cheapish choice.

I quite often use them to shield my DRs against gun lines.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

CoKs are finally cheap enough and hitty enough that a naked unit of 6 represents a good invetment in my view. Screening witches, dark riders, etc... can be useful especially dark riders as they are fast enough to get where they need to go even if the knights gets the stupids.

Hatred plus S6 on the charge and the S4 COs helps offset stupidity enough. When stupidity tests are passed they knights can bring the pain. Fear works for them and helps offest stupidity too. Since they don't have to take the fear test to charge fear causers they take stupidity instead.

Would I have liked to see the COs w/ 2 attacks like in the good old days.... absolutely. But for me, CoKs are one of the iconic units in the dark elf army and I like to take for that reason as well.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Sloth2983
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sloth2983 »

the DR with shields are an opption, so we will now have

a light fast cav, DR no shields

a fast moving medium cav, DR with shields

a heavy hammer cav, CoK w/stupidity.

im really hoping that the rummors are true about the sheilds i think it will be a great addition
God put me on this earth to do one thing, to kill you all, or maybe not, only time can tell.
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

I happen to like the idea of having dark riders with shields. My primary method of achieving victory with druchii is through mobility, and having some good light cavalry can be devastating.
Evilelf
Corsair

Post by Evilelf »

I've had stupidity nail my CoKs and leave my poor hydra and/or DRs to get beat down by a large infantry block at least a handful of times. Not sure DR with shields is all that more capable than DR without shields as far as charging with a Master or BSB hard-hitter. But I am curious about whether or not our enemies would PERCEIVE the threat differently. I mean, if you were facing a charge from a line of 5-6 CoKs, 10-12 block of DR w/shields, and a hydra which would you direct the bulk of your missiles and/or magic?
"No sense in beating a dead High Elf; except maybe for the joy of it." attributed to Marterist Grimore, Dark Elf Noble, General, and all-around mean guy.
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

I quite often use them to shield my DRs against gun lines.

Sorry, but I cannot see how would you use them. Can you make an example of list you're using so it could be clearer? I think that this tactic could work, but I always did it in the reverse mode, sacrifying 90 pts of drs to cover my coks. I cannot imagine how you could cover 5 drs with 5 coks after an empire/dwarf shooting phase, or even after half of it.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: DR with shields?

Post by Rabidnid »

sulla wrote:
Mordrin wrote:
Im currently converting 10 DR from gladeriders, I have so far no intention on putting shields on them, any reason I should change my mind?

An 18" charge range with a 4+ as and champion pumping out a pair of attacks is a decently useful unit. Combined with a large monster means we don't have to flank with the beast as we can use the high movement of the cav to hit in the flank.

I wouldn't bother to go for ranks with them, but I might consider a standard for this unit (perhaps even full command).

The benefits of them as I see it are principally;

a) core

b) non stupid

So they become useful support for combined charges (unlike cold ones who can never be relied upon to charge in support, sometimes stranding another unit in an unfavourable combat).

So, effectively, I will be seperating out the roles of the dark riders. For missile harrassment and baiting/sacrificing, I will be using fast cav, probably with only a musician. For flanking combat roles and for rushing war machines/mages, I will be using shield riders since these units will not be planning on fleeing or relying on the free reform. I will convert 5 rank and file and full command even though I will rarely use that many. Probably 6-7 will be enough.

I will defiently be adding shields and RXB to mine, I have found fleeing with them annoying because they invariable roll just high enough to flee off the table. Non-stupid and the extra 4 inches of movement means they will do more than my naked Coks ever did. Combined with shooting, they will have a definite role, while the harpies pick up the slack in the baiting and sacrificial role since DE units ignore them if they break or are wiped out.
"Luck is the residue of design"