At last...got my spearhead!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Khel wrote:Can't we have a severed head, or a skull?

On his shoulder? no thanks ;)

I don't like the dragon either, but cutting it off and then repairing the damage with green stuff is going to be hard work. I might try it anyway though, because the model is awesome. What I miss is the dynamic pose the new miniatures have (like corsairs, Mannfred and the likes). But I'm glad he doesn't have a cloak which looks like its trying to fly away from him... those vampires look slightly odd, if you ask me.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Khel wrote:The dreadlord with the Draich looks awesome. Except, I don't like all this dragon business with all the dragons sitting on their shoulders. Can't we have a severed head, or a skull?

No thanks. Running around with severed heads is silly. ;)

Dunno. I don't really like either of those two Dreadlord models overly much.

But that's cool, I don't plan on playing a Dreadlord on foot anytime soon, anyways.

Bye
Thanee
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Actually I think it's a very good representative for the dragon eggs. Admittedly, exactly how those eggs came from such a dragon is rather suspect but I guess that's what the -3 Ld is for.
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

I haven't got my spearhead yet.. And there's an odd thing in my bank account: It says that GW has taken from me 141 euro, not 171 as it should cost. The pound sum is correct though: 112£.

I'm in Finland, has any other Finn received one's spearhead yet? I guess almost every person who has gotten it is from UK or USA.
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I don't know of anybody in the States that has the spearhead yet (from actually ordering it through normal channels) but I could be missing something. UK folks seem to have gotten theirs a little early. Good for them but the rest of us are having to wait I think.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Deep one
Warrior

Post by Deep one »

I am *really* looking forward to getting my spearhead and last week the shipping date on our German GW Online Shop HP was changed to 07/26 all of a sudden! !eek!

So I called mail order on Saturday ... twice. :mrgreen: They told me there had been a "mistake" during packaging the sets so there had been a delay, but they seemed confident the sets will be out by mid-week; in any case, to get rid of me, they asked me to call again "on Tuesday". Which I will do ... !lol!
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

Heh, I guess there's a lot of enthustiastic calls and e-mail thundering to GW about: "When do I get my spearhead" just now.. I e-mailed them, and they haven't answered yet.. This is too exciting! :lol:
Tastyfish
Arch-deviant of the Cult of Pleasure

Post by Tastyfish »

Rabidnid wrote:Are the cuirasses on the corsairs complete without a cloak, because I despise the legs and cloaks, but they wii make bery nice dark riders and spearmen mixed with glade riders and the existing warrior box.

I'll have a play around when my Spearhead comes, but I can imagine that you could probably order the Cold One Knight curaiss backs from bits sites (Battlewagon bits for the US, Wookie Hole for the UK). I'm actually hoping it works around the other way - so I can use a Knights front with a Corsair back for some fancy armour complete with Sea Dragon Cloak for a Master, maybe even a Dreadlord on a Dragon if the bodies will fit on the high elven dragon rider legs.

I imagine the Cold Ones themselves will go for a fair bit to Lizardmen, Imperial Guard and other Dark elf players wanting to upgrade chariots.
Want to write background or fluff for the Herald? PM me
Sinzaren
The Soulreiver

Post by Sinzaren »

Well after looking through the book for the past 3 days, I suddenly realised that in the colour sections there are no pics of Malekith,Darkblade, Harpies or a CO chariot.

Anyone think this might be a hint of what is to come??
We ride with kings on mighty steeds across the Devils plain...

http://sinzaren.blogspot.com/
My Blogger Painting Blog - Full of Dark Elf goodness
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

perhaps, but you should never assume anything. Personally, I would prefer models for other characters, but then, they don't have any models at all.
Saedron
Shade

Post by Saedron »

Sinzaren wrote:Well after looking through the book for the past 3 days, I suddenly realised that in the colour sections there are no pics of Malekith,Darkblade, Harpies or a CO chariot.

Anyone think this might be a hint of what is to come??

When they did the o&g book, a similar thing happened... this could indicate something!

-I don't think the harpies need resculpts, but it is feasible considering that they are core now, and I just doled out a rediculous SIXTY USD this morning for 10 of them.... (they will be worth their weight in gold, however, I am sure!!!)

-Malekith's BD is soooo 6th edition, he, like, totally needs a facelift :P

-Malus, while being a cool model, is also mounted on one of the old cold ones, so it would make sense to either resculpt the entire model (boo hiss), or package him with the new sick cold ones (huzzah)

-Similar to malus, the CoC could be getting a resculpt, or even a simple repackage with 2 new cold ones. Personally I really like the model, so I don't think it needs a resculpt ATM, but you never know...

All in all, a very exciting discovery!!
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I'll bet there are no pictures of Sorceresses on Dark Steeds either just like 6th edition. !conf!

Malekith needs a redo in the worst way it has always been a terrible model. Since they already have a perfectly good dragon (HE one with some converting) they have the perfect opportunity to release an awesome four cold one chariot for him.

I still don't understand what people have against the current harpy scuplt. They are ugly...they are supposed to be ugly.
Sinzaren
The Soulreiver

Post by Sinzaren »

True there are no pictures of characters on Dark Steeds, the only ones to appear are the Dark Riders. Makes me think that they aren't going to be on the revamp list :(
We ride with kings on mighty steeds across the Devils plain...

http://sinzaren.blogspot.com/
My Blogger Painting Blog - Full of Dark Elf goodness
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Milney wrote:Still, from talking with the sculptors and games desginers on the studio open day apparently the Dark Elf 2nd wave was planned for 6-8months after our initial release - so think Christmas/Newyear's...
6-8 months isnt exactly x-mas'y. Its more like January-March... Hope it atleast makes it to February. That way I dont have to ponder too hard on my birthday wishlist. If it doesnt make it in time I guess Ill just write ''money'' on my wishlist as usual.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

My shop just told me that there is a chance that they won't get any spearheads because they're sold out - local GW store only got two, both reserved. I hate it.
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
Die go
Executioner

Post by Die go »

Mordru wrote:I still don't understand what people have against the current harpy scuplt. They are ugly...they are supposed to be ugly.

There´s an abyss between being ugly and being badly sculpted/designed, as the current harpies actually are.
"Brother, while you burn, you belong to life."
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

The harpies are not ugly, but I agree that they are quite annoying to put together and base, and keep upright. Having harpies on built in 'scenic bases' kind of like is the trend with Wizard models would be welcome.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

My harpies are on scenic bases. I don't understand the problem. They are not any harder to build than those annoying executioners with the "break if you look at me wrong" draich. It is a pain to rank them up but they skirmish and if you model them with scenic bases at different heights they rank up side by side just fine. If you have a problem with them tipping over I suggest fishing shot under the base. Its lead kids so don't eat any or even lick any off your fingers. !razz!

Very heavy, soft easy to cut and easy to flatten. you can even make rocks out of them and put them on top of the base to help balance the model if you need more weight.
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

I must admit that Executioner Draich gluing trumps any other annoying modelling problem by a large margin.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Those draich are small and fussy to the extent that it is counter productive to try and pin them. I mostly just use some 5th edition black guard with the halberd tips cut off for Executioners. Those "halberds" are so massive they look like great axes anyway.
Natzjiak
Trainee Warrior

Post by Natzjiak »

I made good use of a small trick to glue the Exe's blades, which some guy mentioned in an old edition of the Citadel Journal. He uses fag ash together with superglue to provide a super-fast and durable binding. So just apply some superglue on the Exe's model and dip the bottom end of the Draich blade in your ash tray before putting the parts together. Sounds ridiculous, but it actually works amazingly well! It even saved me the pinning of parts of larger metal models in most cases.
At least there is now a good excuse for being a smoker... !wink!
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

In which country do they do the packing of the spearheads and are they sent to customers from there, because I'm getting really frustrated that mine hasn't come to me yet?
Die go
Executioner

Post by Die go »

VonKrieglitz wrote:The harpies are not ugly

Come on, man, I know it´s a matter of personal opinion, but look at the GZ harpies, for instance; GW harpies are like GW old horses and wolves, out of proportion and with a strong lack of detail, that´s why a lot of people uses converted daemonettes. If you like harpies the way they´re, that´s ok, but you should take a look out there and compare, perhaps you´d change your mind after that.
"Brother, while you burn, you belong to life."
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Die Go wrote:
VonKrieglitz wrote:The harpies are not ugly

Come on, man, I know it´s a matter of personal opinion, but look at the GZ harpies, for instance; GW harpies are like GW old horses and wolves, out of proportion and with a strong lack of detail, that´s why a lot of people uses converted daemonettes. If you like harpies the way they´re, that´s ok, but you should take a look out there and compare, perhaps you´d change your mind after that.

I actually agree with VonKrieglitz - the harpy models ain't ugly (well, they're ugly because harpies are ugly creatures, but I think you know what I mean ;) )... I've had a look at alternatives and TBH I don't think the other ones are better - they're just different. The only thing that bothers me with the harpies are those wings which tend to break in half after a while... and then you glue them on again and guess what happens the next time you look at them in the wrong tone of voice...

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.