At last...got my spearhead!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Good to see so many others getting their spearheads.

As for the metal cold ones/fused legs - wait till you get yours. There are loads of opportunities for conversions. Who cares if they are fused...really...there's lots which can be done with them.

The mounted Sorceress can easily be converted to be used as a combat hero, either hero level or Lord.

The plastic sprues are truly impressive, with lots of options.

The Dreadlord does not have the promised options, but I have heard that a second one will be released. Which I assume will be the 'Master' figure shown in the new book.

The Hydra, and in particular the Beastmasters, are outstanding. I love their cloaks.

All in all a great purchase IMO.
Yuna
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yuna »

Well have a look at the sprues....Message #634 8)

May the Great Khaine bless my friend Tygnonderohan !wink!

http://forum.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=103399&st=625&gopid=1220066&#entry1220066
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Yuna wrote:Well have a look at the sprues....Message #634 8)

May the Great Khaine bless my friend Tygnonderohan !wink!

http://forum.warhammer-forum.com/index.php?showtopic=103399&st=625&gopid=1220066&#entry1220066
Oh Khaine!
I... I just soiled myself... :oops:
Those Corsairs are fantastic. And exactly the kind of sprues I was hoping for. Those bits are easily convertable with everything from HE/WE/DE plastics.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Dark Alliance wrote:Good to see so many others getting their spearheads.

As for the metal cold ones/fused legs - wait till you get yours. There are loads of opportunities for conversions. Who cares if they are fused...really...there's lots which can be done with them.

The mounted Sorceress can easily be converted to be used as a combat hero, either hero level or Lord.

The Dreadlord does not have the promised options, but I have heard that a second one will be released. Which I assume will be the 'Master' figure shown in the new book.

The Hydra, and in particular the Beastmasters, are outstanding. I love their cloaks.

But for those who wanted a Sorceress on Dark Steed, we're screwed then, no legs.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Are the cuirasses on the corsairs complete without a cloak, because I despise the legs and cloaks, but they wii make bery nice dark riders and spearmen mixed with glade riders and the existing warrior box.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

The cuirasses are halves, the other half is the cloak.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

But for those who wanted a Sorceress on Dark Steed, we're screwed then, no legs.

If money is no object you could buy the Morathi pegasus and greenstuff over the wing holes. Not sure if the new sorceress body fits well but its worth looking into.

I also noted that you get an extra torso, head and set of arms on the COK sprue. At first glance these look like they will combine neatly with Bret pegasus knight legs for an easy master on pegasus conversion.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

SilverHeimdall wrote:The cuirasses are halves, the other half is the cloak.

Sigh, thats what I guessed, Oh well, greenstuff to the rescue again :)
"Luck is the residue of design"
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

Venkh wrote:
I also noted that you get an extra torso, head and set of arms on the COK sprue. At first glance these look like they will combine neatly with Bret pegasus knight legs for an easy master on pegasus conversion.

Or use him on your plastic HE Dragon to make a DreadLord...
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

SilverHeimdall wrote:
Dark Alliance wrote:Good to see so many others getting their spearheads.

No legs. Kinda hacked me off too as I use a level 4 on a dark steed all the time now. :evil:

What you can do though is use her metal torso and the plastic cold one knight legs to make the conversion. Before you say it... ;) I know it is far from ideal, and means more investment in figures to get the legs...and it shows yet again a lack of understanding by the miniature designers as to what kinds of figures gamers actually want...I agree with all that totally.

But it is do-able.
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

Wood Elf Glade Rider legs also seem like they would work, seeing as they are not heavily armoured, and look decently feminine.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

I'd actually go with the glade rider legs as I have a box unasembled.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Yuna
Trainee Warrior

Post by Yuna »

Some more pictures of the corsair srpues (from Warseer)

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152468
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

The new plastics are looking great, at the moment my druchii bitsbox contains the contents of about 3 warrior box sets and little else, finally now i can extend that collection of conversion parts with the spares off these fantastic sprues.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Sprues look very good. Shame about the structure of the corsairs sprues. It will require some work arounds but other than that issue the corsairs sprues look very, very good.

I cannot understand how GW designers, sculptors etc... could be other than absolutely clear that sorceresses on cold ones are a non-starter. Nobody, or so close to nobody there is no difference, ever fielded one in 6th edition. Amazingly, they released one again and released in a format that magnifies the fact that they are somehwat oblivious to the effects of their own rules on the desirability of models. The more I think about it the stranger it becomes.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

Ok so... the Dreadlord on Foot with Giant Draich is FREAKIN' AWESOME. Why oh why does the Spearhead come with Topknot man and not the one that looks like he could ruin the entire opposing army all on his own. He just screams Dreadlord with Executioners Axe and Blood Armour to me...
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

VonKrieglitz wrote:Ok so... the Dreadlord on Foot with Giant Draich is FREAKIN' AWESOME. Why oh why does the Spearhead come with Topknot man and not the one that looks like he could ruin the entire opposing army all on his own. He just screams Dreadlord with Executioners Axe and Blood Armour to me...

Destined for the 2nd wave unfortunately.

As for the actual reason why one was selected over the other - I bet the actual decision was based on some aesthetic choice by a manager not involved in the hobby at all.

Still, from talking with the sculptors and games desginers on the studio open day apparently the Dark Elf 2nd wave was planned for 6-8months after our initial release - so think Christmas/Newyear's...
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Pic of the new dreadlord please :lol:
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Ok so... the Dreadlord on Foot with Giant Draich is FREAKIN' AWESOME. Why oh why does the Spearhead come with Topknot man and not the one that looks like he could ruin the entire opposing army all on his own. He just screams Dreadlord with Executioners Axe and Blood Armour to me...
Because they're not quite confident that the topknot guy will sell well? :P
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

OOps, weird double post happened, sorry...
Last edited by Vonkrieglitz on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Mr. Topknot is going straight on ebay when my spearhead arrives so lets keep the news of a forthcoming decent looking dreadlord to ourselves !wink! .
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

Milney wrote:
VonKrieglitz wrote:Ok so... the Dreadlord on Foot with Giant Draich is FREAKIN' AWESOME. Why oh why does the Spearhead come with Topknot man and not the one that looks like he could ruin the entire opposing army all on his own. He just screams Dreadlord with Executioners Axe and Blood Armour to me...

Destined for the 2nd wave unfortunately.

As for the actual reason why one was selected over the other - I bet the actual decision was based on some aesthetic choice by a manager not involved in the hobby at all.

Still, from talking with the sculptors and games desginers on the studio open day apparently the Dark Elf 2nd wave was planned for 6-8months after our initial release - so think Christmas/Newyear's...

While this makes me a little sad, that's also kind of good news because it means there is a second wave planned, and it will have some good models in it. If we get that Dread Lord, some of the SC's, and maybe a further plastic kit or two (or even metal kits, for example a new Chariot and/or CoB) then I'll be a happy puppy.

@ Heartrender: it's in the same post as the Corsair sprues on Warseer. Here is the link again: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152468
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

:o wow :o

Cheers VonKrieglitz - that model is beautiful and way better than the first. like you said, im hoping for the same models in the 2nd wave alongside the plastic chariot and dark riders im in need of.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

The dreadlord with the Draich looks awesome. Except, I don't like all this dragon business with all the dragons sitting on their shoulders. Can't we have a severed head, or a skull?
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

A severed head in his hand would have been perfect.

There is no shortage of superfluous skulls at least all over the model knees, chest, etc. GW somehow loves to cover models in skull motifs for some reason. The dragon on the shoulder is a little fat looking but that may just be the paint/picture. Overall the second model with the draich is a vast improvement to the extent that I like it.