Dark Elf Miniatures

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tyr
Slave on the Altar
Location: In the wake of Malus' ever growing trail of corpses

Dark Elf Miniatures

Post by Tyr »

What do you guys think about the Dark Elf miniature range? Both new and old? Personally I like the new CoKs but im abit edgy on the Corsairs.. yes thay have thiner blades finally but I think they went abit far with the armor, the corsairs now look like Davy Jones cursed crew!!

Most of my models I've made myself and I think I plan to continue to use them through this new addition, furthermore I think it would have been slightly more helpful to redo models with a bigger tactical appeal. Those warriors sure as hell do need a makeover..

Anyways I was just wondering what you guys thought, im off to paint more shades ((mine use glade guard bodies with GS wrists to allow the Xbows to point in the correct firing position, posting pics soon, so luck my friend has played WE since b4 they were cool))
When life gives you lemons... Blood for the Blood God!!
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I think the miniature line was very fine before, and will be the best in all of Warhammer Fantasy with the new releases. The existing pewters are strong, and the new models (particularly Cold One Knights) are amazing. The size of the Hydra is impressive too.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Drakfien venomblade
Shade

Post by Drakfien venomblade »

The Dark Elf miniatures range is one of the best. The models are the reason I started playing DE in the first place. I think the new minis look pretty good so far. I just wish they would redo the Dark Riders. We need more dynamic steeds and the riders look like they are riding in a parade. The are the oldest minis in the line and got overlooked again. I think it was a waste redoing the Corsairs first, the old minis were fine.
What is best in life?

To crush your enemies,
To see them driven before you,
And to hear the lamentation of their women.

Also a good slave to kick around isn't bad.
Tyr
Slave on the Altar

Post by Tyr »

Yeah I think we need new dark riders as well.. SilverHeimdall has made some pretty nice ones following a similar creation theme as my own, using wood elf miniatures that is, and his turned out great. I think that the cowled heads that come with the Glade Guard as well as their lightly armored bodies are great bits to use for your lightly armored Druchii, and the steeds show quite abit more motion.
Coldeyes
Corsair

Post by Coldeyes »

i loved and still love the old range. where do i start with the new models? the CoKs look MUCH better than the old ones where before they looked clunky and slow now they look sleek and deadly.

i thought the old corsairs were great models and imo didnt need the biggest update, same thing with hydra. the new corsairs are a hit and miss for me they dont seem like seafarers to me at all and the armour looks completely over the top and looks like a pain to paint. the hydra well they took the good and made it better.

the new characters look great thank goodness we finally get some noble models.

models that SHOULD have been updated or are going to be and i just dont know about them :) :

Dark Riders
Malekith, his DRAGON at least
Harpies
Cold one chariot, are they updating this or at least modifying it for the new cold ones because if its like the orcs and the one new boar for the warboss then im going to be so pissed
Blood and souls for Khaine!
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

The 6th Ed DE range is IMO the best Warhammer has seen (with Wood Elves a close second). The new miniatures are great, and a great asset to the range, but I will always love the 6th Corsairs, as they are among my favourite models.
Tyr
Slave on the Altar

Post by Tyr »

Well I do indeed like the old corsair models its just their weapons looked slightly silly.. and yes Malekith sadly looks like trash. And I think Malus could do with a touch up, his mount looks silly and his model bulky. I really like some of the art on the novels though (( the ones of Malus himself spite looks ok I suppose, the new Cold Ones look better though)) and I intend to try and make my own Malus model when I have the time.

Btw why do High Elves get a plastic Highborn set when we don't?
((at least I don't think we do))
Voodoochild1985
Warrior

Post by Voodoochild1985 »

Tyr wrote:Btw why do High Elves get a plastic Highborn set when we don't?

Because GW are turds and decide to be inconsistent. A sorceress box set may have been difficult to create (then again looking at the models now I'm guessing not), but a Dark Elf Noble box would have been easy.

I think they're doing it to make more money, Dark Elves are very popular, as are Vampire Counts and Chaos so instead of releasing multi-part kits like they have for other armies, they decided to capitalise and release metal blisters instead. Goes against their 'move to plastic'...how long did that last? For instance, a lot of their regiments are still metal, but are in box sets of 5, instead of plastic casting them in boxes of 10. Also, boxes of 16-20 are preferable in my honest opinion, paying $25 AUD less for only 10 models is annoying. Especially for the skeletons...ripoff there.

Still love the range though. I just don't see how another price hike is going to help bring new people to the hobby.
Moonblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Moonblade »

Our miniature range is quite amazing, though it's not exactly how I would like it to be, but that's just me. Anyways, I am going to create 1 straight-forward 2000+ army with a little or none conversion, using the models as they are. That will be my primary tournament army. However I'm planing to make one totally conversed army, just for fun to show people how I imagine Dark Elves. I will use LOTS of High/Wood elf models and probably some heavy armors from chaos warriors and other bits from all other armies around ;)

I will surely not use our current Manticore, I simply dislike its overall silhouette and the tongue. I'm going to convert White Lion with Pegasus or Dragon wings. I am SOOO keen on the idea of manticore being in horse-like pose (on 4 legs) and not standing on its rare legs. Anybody tried this already? I should see if the back of white lions is suitable for mounting... and should put the model somehow in elevation to represent it being a large target.
Game Designer. At last. Period.
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

The dark riders are fine; they just need to be repackaged with new horses.

No, the models that really need a change are the warriors - some of the fugliest models in the whole of WFB. They need non-silly helmets and to do out with the clown shoes.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Heat-13
Beastmaster

Post by Heat-13 »

Yeah I love the miniature range. But yeah I'll agree with you on the corsairs - they just look weird now - they don't fit in in my opinion. The other new releases are amazing though, although I wonder what they are going to do about the cold one chariot with its old clod ones...
WS:4 S:3 T:3 D:5 I:4
Basic Stealth, Blood Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting
Eq: S Swordx2, R Crossbow (8 clips), 3xT.Daggers (2gd,1exc) Shade Cloak, Wolfskin Cloak, Stealth armor,s drugs, ring,50ft s.rope, 4rations.33.3 gp
Group 21 Mod
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

I definitely hate GW! I started playing during 5th edition era and bought Cold Ones Knights because they were mandatory (2 S4 attacks, Fear, 8" speedy raptors, loose stupidity after one round of H2H and when nobody expected: crossbows! :twisted: ) I like Cold ones but knights were a bit dumb.
With 6th ed. new Coks, well cows were ugly but knights were ace! So I got 5 of them to ride my old raptors, not the best unit of the game but they were cool! So more money were spent :?
And now? They have re-made Coks and look ace! I should buy them even if I do not need them :evil: my poor wallet :cry:
Seriously talking I think we have one of the best range in warhammer fantasy with some gaps, like dark riders, not bad but steeds are terrible. And I do not like new sorceress on foot and new dreadlord on foot.
I am lucky because I never field them on foot ;)
About corsairs, yes they are redundant, but it is better to have multiple beautiful choices than have no choices, do not you think so? You like old ones? get them. You prefer new spicky ones? OK, here they are...
Malekith is crap, if they do not redo the dragon, well many of us will get High elf kit.
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Survivor
Shade

Post by Survivor »

Our range is like a Clint Eastwood movie...

The Good - Black Guard, Executioners (would be even better with axes), new COK`s, Witch Elves, Corsairs (6th and 7th), Bolt Throwers, Beastmasters (6th and 7th), Assassins (6th and 7th), new Hydra I think, Shades, Warriors, Chariot.

The Bad - Malekith, Morathi, Beastmaster on Manticore (Mants ok but rider not), unforgivable lack of Nobles for many years, Harpies (not that bad but not good enough to be listed in the good section), Dark Riders (riders all same pose and the steeds must be the biggest joke in Warhammer).

and The Ugly ... Lokir Fellheart. Although to be fair he is wearing a mask!
It is time...
Coldeyes
Corsair

Post by Coldeyes »

yeah GWs getting pretty lazy when updating armies, dark elves this time around is fine because most of our models are classic and timeless anyways but how many units did they update exactly? im counting corsairs, hydra, CoK, assassins, a bunch of new characters, and yeah... thats it? are they updating other models and im not aware of it?

need more proof? look at Orcs and Goblins, they update Night gobbos so now their 'more scaled' but leave regular goblins with the old ugly one and now they look crazy with big heads compared to the new models.
Blood and souls for Khaine!
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

If there were models for everything in the book I'd have no complaints....

Malekith on Foot (would serve for 'on chariot' as well guess)
Crone Hellebrone on Foot & on Manticore
Kouran
Tullaris

Master BSB
Death Hag BSB

Of course updates for Spearelves, Dark Riders, Harpies & RBT crew perhaps... o: would be nice
Daicon
Corsair

Post by Daicon »

I love the range, it's what first drew me to the Dark Elves, especially the executioners. I've always been a fan-boy for Elves with big, deadly looking weapons, and man-o-man did the Execs ever fit the bill.

Aside from them, the new CoKs look absolutely boss, the Black Guard still look incredible, and the Hydra got it's ride pimped. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on some new minis to assemble and paint.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Now I must start off with saying that I love WHFB. I started when I was 10, opting fantasy because it would let my imagination run more freely (and trust me, I had one hell of an imagination, still do) and the idea of an entire game spent rolling dice to shoot guns wasn't all that fun. I love rolling dice for monstosities that scare the s*** out of the human-sized people attempting to override their utter terror to attack. I am a visualizer of things like that, perhaps that is just me.

The reason for me starting Druchii was simple: they were pointy. There is nothing more cool than an army of super-skilled, super-fast, super-scary elves in pointy armour. Our model range is definitely near the top of the list, and the new update makes it that much stronger. There really isn't much to say about the great models, it has all been said somewhere. My chief problems are the beastmaster on manticore, malekith & seraphon, DR, and I suppose the warriors. Beastmaster on manticore because he looks stupid and his mount looks retarded with its tongue sticking out like it wants to bite it off. Malekith because his (ugly) face is showing; he is burned all over and burned people aren't scary, they are creepy, which is why I always pictured him with a scary mask; Seraphon because he/she/it is nothing compared to the new HE kit. DR because rank and file fast cav riding smiling horses that are supposedly vicious just doesn't fit their description. Warriors because they have giant shoes and masks that make them look like they are at a masquerade.

The debate about the new corsairs and Lokhir Fellheart is stupid; if you don't like the look of them stock up on the old ones, if you do pray your wallet doesn't stab you while you are sleeping. And Lokhir's body is a little too average and uninteresting, but his mask makes up for it. If you really don't like him make him into Dr. Zoidberg like me (though I quite like him). And anyone who denies the greatness of the CoK deserves a bullet in the leg.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Coldeyes
Corsair

Post by Coldeyes »

Lonely Shade wrote: Malekith because his (ugly) face is showing; he is burned all over and burned people aren't scary, they are creepy, which is why I always pictured him with a scary mask;

I thought that was him in a mask? it seemed way to ugly to be his regular face :P ive only seen pictures, so if thats the case then yeah malekith needs a bigger update than i thought especially with all those beautiful pieces of art lying around of him

Lonely Shade wrote: And anyone who denies the greatness of the CoK deserves a bullet in the leg.

here here!
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

VonKrieglitz wrote:The 6th Ed DE range is IMO the best Warhammer has seen (with Wood Elves a close second). The new miniatures are great, and a great asset to the range, but I will always love the 6th Corsairs, as they are among my favourite models.

I love the old corsairs too. They have something really pirate-ish about them. The new ones- they look cool when you see them the first 3 or 4 times but then you look at the old ones and you know that you'll miss them after all.

The same thing with the CoK. Their warcows may be somehow strange but the riders are just avesome! The new ones are just the other way round- great beasts but the riders are not so much...

Just my opinion.
Natzjiak
Trainee Warrior

Post by Natzjiak »

I completely agree with Lord Temnir here. I really like the new corsairs and will surely buy them (at least to try out the new handbow-option and for converting), but nevertheless they are just great models that will replace miniatures that were of an equally great quality. The difference between the two is not that huge to really justify a replacement.
Concerning the CoK’s, I have mixed feelings and don’t really know if I buy them. In contrast to the majority here, I do not dislike the old Cold One models. In fact they are really representing what a Cold One is: A lumbering, stupid, but dangerous beast. They were only a bit too small IMO. True, the new ones are great sculpts, but they look much too sleek and intelligent for me. Just like a prehistoric Velociraptor, which was a fast and cunning predator – quite the opposite to a Cold One.
The riders are a real step backwards compared to what we used to have. They look like a rag-tag bunch of wannabe Samurai, human (!) Knights and silly-helmeted cartoon Dark Elves which I had hoped to be lost in time since Aly Morrisons horrible 5th edition miniature range. Perhaps my opinion will change when I see the models in reality and on the sprue, but I seriously doubt it.
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

Natzjiak wrote:They were only a bit too small IMO.

That's one of the few points why I like the new cold ones more- they are bigger! :D
Gaz taylor
Dark Rider

Post by Gaz taylor »

voodoochild1985 wrote:Because GW are turds and decide to be inconsistent. A sorceress box set may have been difficult to create (then again looking at the models now I'm guessing not), but a Dark Elf Noble box would have been easy.

I think it's more a case that they didn't forsee Dark Elves selling enough to warrant a plastic set for the characters. Mind you the last couple of releases (Vamps and Daemons) didn't get a plastic set for characters, so I suppose they are being consistant! ;)

But honestly, I think it's a case that they can revisit the range at a later date with a possible character boxed set along with a combination that they didn't see them selling enough to warrant a set (as the plastic moulds can cost lots to develop).

As for my thoughts, I like all the new models and I think that they complement the remaining range very well. I'm slightly disapointed with the fact that there are no new Dark Riders as I'm not very keen on the current models (the riders are alright but the steeds! :cry: ). It also would have been nice to have had a plastic character set, but I'm happy enough with the new metals.
stuffem, tankem, ammeram

My Ramblings - http://the-gt-files.blogspot.com/
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I love the dark elf range. I quit at the end of 3rd ed and got back into the game during 6th and the one thing that stunned me was the sheer quality of the miniature range.

Everything Mr Fitz did was excellent. and the new COK, hydra minis complement the range beautifully.

All we need are:

New Dark rider steeds
New style cold ones for the chariots and possibly new crew
The shades are OK but I hate the "hair sticking to blade" style of sculpting.
We could do with models for the other specisl characters in the book.

I think we have possibly the best range in the game and it can only get better.
Stormbringer ruler
Corsair

Post by Stormbringer ruler »

I am the only one who thinks that GW reformed the shadows weapon options with great weapon to sell more boxes of Mengil Manflayers? what a crude maneuver, man. However i prefer the Mengil dudes over the current shadow models 1000 times more. I use them as shadows since they appeared.

I think new cold ones are way too small and skinny to carry the chariot (or any chariot with that stats). I´ll recomend buy and use the GameZone dark elf chariot, a really stunning model, and fluffwise you can explain that it are another species of cold ones (not battle cows) raised to draught.
Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

– The Nemedian Chronicles
Druchiilad
Executioner

Re: Dark Elf Miniatures

Post by Druchiilad »

Tyr wrote:What do you guys think about the Dark Elf miniature range?

Pictures???
lolz I have seen some but, still picture plz.
In Khaine we trust...