faeli-n
Black Guard

Have book, will answer questions...

Post by faeli-n »

What the topic says ;)
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

There are already lots of these "yay i got the new book" threads. If you look around you will see we have already pitched questions to other people in the same fortunate position as yourself who own the book already.

Cheers for the thought though.
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

A few of those won't give out points values, I don't mind about that, and just incase someone hasn't had their Q answered yet...
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

What is the fluff situation for the Cult of Slaanesh in the new book is it altered at all from 6th edition? Is it mentioned at all?

Thanks.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

FaeLi-N wrote:A few of those won't give out points values, I don't mind about that...

You should, though, as it is against the posting rules of this site.

No specific point costs quoted from the book, please. And no word-for-word quotes of other text either.

GW doesn't like that kind of stuff and we would prefer to keep in good standing with them, so we respect their request.

Thank you for your understanding! :D

Bye
Thanee
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Mmm, that's fair ;)

Cult of Pleasure is of course touched upon in the bit of fluff before the SUndering, but it's not actually named there as the Cult of Pleasure, it's also touched on in Morathi's description, but there's no great depth into it, or even mild discussion.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

That is what I was afraid was being done. Instead of exploring an alternative force under, inside and otherwise running through Druchii culture GW have made a decision that results in relegation of the Cult of Pleasure to obscurity.
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

And I say good riddance. If you want to play slaanesh go do it. Leave my druchii alone from your retarded power creep ideas. (Not of course calling anyone on these forums retarded...although I do wonder sometimes...again Im just joking...or am i?) :twisted:

Highborn on black dragon
Executioner

Post by Highborn on black dragon »

Are the Corsairs truly making breaked units flee on 3d6, using the lowest 2?
Sanity is highly overrated
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Not exactly, the rule is that the DE player can make the person re-roll the higher dice (i.e. if they roll 5 and 4, the DE player can elect to have them re-roll the 5).
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Lord_Jimmy_ wrote:And I say good riddance. If you want to play slaanesh go do it. Leave my druchii alone from your retarded power creep ideas. (Not of course calling anyone on these forums retarded...although I do wonder sometimes...again Im just joking...or am i?) :twisted:

Its just a fluff opportunity wasted and has absolutely zero to do with power creep. The Slaanesh influence, heavily present in the Malus novels for instance, has been a theme in the culture of the Dark Elves for several editions. This story line provides something to further distinguish the Druchii from just bad elves in spikier armor than the Asur. Its unfortunate that this opportunity was not persued. It changes no rules, involves no accomodation in the army list whatsoever. Go play Slaanesh if you want has nothing to do with the fluff and development of the dark elves over time. I always appreciate opportunities to explore background in the army books and if the fluff doesn't appeal to people they are free to ignore it. If it isn;t mentioned and simply abandoned those of us who enjoy it are needlessly placed in the same camp as those who pay it no mind in any case.

Regarding your signature Lord Jimmy, I have always heard it ain't bragging if you can back it up. ;)
Deep one
Warrior

Post by Deep one »

Thank you for sharing, FaeLi-N! !smile!

1) The Dragon Egg's breath weapon, which S has it? Does it function exactly like a real BD's breath, i.e. force panic checks at -3 for units that suffer any losses through it?

2) Is there any magic item apart from the COB that protects a monstrous mount as well as its rider, say a Master's Manti? (The Ring of Darkness was rumoured to do so, once)

3) Speaking of rider, is a Master BSB riding a Manti still allowed to take 50P of magic items if he doesn't choose a magical banner?

I am sorry if these questions have popped up elsewhere already, I have missed the answrs then.
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

Deep One wrote:Thank you for sharing, FaeLi-N! !smile!

1) The Dragon Egg's breath weapon, which S has it? Does it function exactly like a real BD's breath, i.e. force panic checks at -3 for units that suffer any losses through it?

2) Is there any magic item apart from the COB that protects a monstrous mount as well as its rider, say a Master's Manti? (The Ring of Darkness was rumoured to do so, once)

3) Speaking of rider, is a Master BSB riding a Manti still allowed to take 50P of magic items if he doesn't choose a magical banner?

I am sorry if these questions have popped up elsewhere already, I have missed the answrs then.

Dragon's Egg is exactly the same Breath attack as the Black Dragon - Strength 4 and any unit suffering casualties has to take a Ld -3 test to charge in the following turn.

Nope. I suppose the Ring of Darkness does as the half WS/BS affects his entire unit, but no actually save for mounts.

Yep, he can still take Magic items as normal if no magic banner is taken.

And yes Faeli-N, there is a reason we haven't all just dumped word-for-word copies on the site since we recieved our spearheads, that is we like it here and getting shut down for copy-right infringement helps noone :P So yeah, help the lucky few answer the questions of those unfortunate to not have the book yet, but don't quote prices and try and keep direct quotes to a minimum (a sentence here and there to clear up RAW queries is fine - but quoting mass blocks of text just to show rules is a no-no).

:lol:
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

Mordru wrote:Its just a fluff opportunity wasted and has absolutely zero to do with power creep. The Slaanesh influence, heavily present in the Malus novels for instance, has been a theme in the culture of the Dark Elves for several editions. This story line provides something to further distinguish the Druchii from just bad elves in spikier armor than the Asur. Its unfortunate that this opportunity was not persued. It changes no rules, involves no accomodation in the army list whatsoever. Go play Slaanesh if you want has nothing to do with the fluff and development of the dark elves over time. I always appreciate opportunities to explore background in the army books and if the fluff doesn't appeal to people they are free to ignore it. If it isn;t mentioned and simply abandoned those of us who enjoy it are needlessly placed in the same camp as those who pay it no mind in any case.

Regarding your signature Lord Jimmy, I have always heard it ain't bragging if you can back it up. ;)

Fair point. If it's just the fluff and background development you're after. It does seem a waste to neglect the possibility of Morathi vs. Malekith civil war. I do feel however that GW want to concentrate more on Dark Elves as a whole and not two factions. I was not a fan of rules being introduced for it. I think before this impending update it seemed too easy for Dark Elf players to decide to play CoS as it made their army more powerful in a more obvious way. That's my beef with it.

About my signature - I agree with you 100%

faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Oooh, noticed a typo in the book, Black Dragon Egg entry tells you to look at pp61, but it's actually page 57... anyway it's a S4 breath weapon attack, and causes the unit to take a Leadership test at -3.

Point 2: Ring of Darkness causes every hit against the character/unit (presumably monster) to be resolved at 1/2 WS or BS. There doesn't appear to be a mount-protector.

Point 3: A master is a hero, if a hero is carrying a magic banner he can't take any other magic items. But if he doesn't take a banner, then yes, he can take 50pts of magic items... :)
Hawillis
Shade

Post by Hawillis »

IIRC a COC is 100 points but only 90 if bought as a mount for a character?
If my calcuations are correct, SLINKY + ESCALATOR = EVERYLASTING FUN
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Hmm, after my chastisement, that is a points-related questions :D
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Chariots are cheaper when bought for a character as he is replacing one crew member.

(...that's how you answer that kind of question...)
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

Indeed :D
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

Does the Hydra really have 7 attacks at S5, is it still movement 6, and if it takes wounds does it only lower the breathweapon strength or also its melee strength?

Are models in close combat with the Hydra still forced to attack the hydra and not the beastmaster apprentices if they have a choice?

Also, can the Hydra still march through woods unhindered?
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Lord Tareq wrote:Does the Hydra really have 7 attacks at S5,

yes

is it still movement 6,

yes

and if it takes wounds does it only lower the breathweapon strength or also its melee strength? breath weapon only

Are models in close combat with the Hydra still forced to attack the hydra and not the beastmaster apprentices if they have a choice?

yes

Also, can the Hydra still march through woods unhindered?

yes - as per skirmishers
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

Thanks DA, damn the hydra is nice now :)
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Indeed it is. AND...the breath weapon is a flaming attack. It makes it an ideal unit to take against VCs imo especially.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Nice is quite an understatement. :twisted:

Bye
Thanee
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

and cheaper than 2 RBT's to boot... Guess I will have to change my Rare choices from 2 RBT + Hydra to 2 Hydra... mmmm