Troop builds

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Drahazar
Trainee Warrior

Troop builds

Post by Drahazar »

I am new to DE and was wondering how to set up some stuff.

I was thinking of makeing either 2 ten man corsair squads with 2 hand bows. I have the spear head and i want to put the corsair guys together but being I have never played DE or Against DE and I am new to Warhammer (playing for 9months) I am not sure on how to use them. And since the new book is out and things have changed I am not sure how much of the tactics is updated to reflect the change.

And then Execs with Hag BSB with ASF banner and the Exec hero dude.

I kind of want to go infintry heavy with some cal and bolt throwers.
Death is the Only way OUT
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Well, you'd probably be better off in the tactics/army lists forums but I can tell you right now that Corsairs cannot take 2 hand bows - only the Reaver (champion) can have a pair of handbows, the rest of the corsairs are forced to either keep their 2 handweapons or lose one (losing one close combat attack) to get a single handbow.

To me, the corsairs are best used with their two handweapons and maybe the handbows on corsairs, for some light stand&shoot against lightly armored stuff.
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

I think that the following choices will become common for armies at the 2250 point level.

Rare
Hydra
2 repeater bolt shooters

Special
15 black guard with champion with ring of Hotek and ASF banner.
Unit of shades 6-8
Unit of 5-6 cold ones with command, maybe with armour piercing banner. (-4 saves on the charge)

Troops
2-3 units of 10 crossbowmen (maybe one of these is a small unit of corsairs with handbow)
2 units of 5-6 Dark riders maybe with bows.
ranked unit of 20 spears or corsairs.

Character choices will likely be the most various either falling into
Heavy magic
High sorceress =1-2 sorceresses, maybe assassin as bodyguard.

Heavy combat
Lord maybe on large monster
BSB probably on cold one or in chariot
1-2 low level sorceresses maybe just 1 scroll caddy

Mixed
Either lord, BSB and 2 lvl2 sorcs or Lvl 4, Lvl 2 and 1-2 combat characters.

People may build their armies in this order as well.
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Yes, but you wouldn't want to go with the common armies would you?

On what you've currently come up with, as Silver said, you cannot have 2x Handbows on every Corsair (even if you could, RXBs could be argued as better). I'd have a unit of 21 Corsairs with Dual Handweapons and the Sea Serpent Standard (Frenzy) 3 ranks of 7 means 21 attacks with re-rolls to hit on the charge.

On the Executioners, I'd certainly recommend putting a Hag BSB in a Executioner unit, I've never seen that before, so good for you. But Tullaris is a really bad choice for his points. You'd do better giving your Executioner Champion the Crimson Death (that is of course if the Crimson Death is 25pts or less, I don't have the book to hand).

From what you've said at the moment, perhaps you could make a Khainite army - lead by a Dreadlord (I'll leave you to what he should have, it depends how you want to make your general; I just recommended Dreadlord in a Khainite army because Khainites despise magic), with another Hag with the Cauldron of Blood and either a Combat Noble or a Sorceress with 2 Dispel Scrolls. (One thing to consider with your general is mounting him on a Manticore as Manticores are said to be one of the thousand aspects of Khaine).

Then I'd consider running a couple of Harpy units beside your Corsairs to fill your Core slots (Harpies are, in my opinion in alot of ways superior to Witch Elves, but cheaper).

Moving on to Special, you'll want some Witch Elves to keep with your Khainite theme, even if they are burdened with both Frenzy and Hatred (so are your Corsairs, but who could turn down 21 attacks with re-rolls to hit on the charge?) Then you could consider adding some Cold One Knights (because they come with the Spearhead) and a Cold One Chariot to fill all your special slots - think about giving your Dread Knight in the Cold One Knights the Ring of Hotek, a vital item in a no-magic army.

For rare, I'd put in a Hydra, not only because it comes in your Spearhead, but because it's from Har Ganeth, like your Executioners. After this, I'd recommend you put in another Hydra if you have the points, but depending on your preferences you may want a couple of RBTs. That would give you the shooting you completely lack, but then again, that's what the Temple of Khaine is about - solid, undiluted close combat units.
"Ghost"

WS: 5
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 4

Skills: Basic Stealth, Stealth.
Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
The adept
Warrior

Post by The adept »

Javert wrote:but who could turn down 21 attacks with re-rolls to hit on the charge?

I'd prefer 21 poisoned attacks with hatred, plus keeping the option for a banner (maybe the AP banner). I'll stick with Witch Elves over Corsairs.
The Lord Bittersteel, master of the Arc of Tears, and all-round nasty git!
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: Troop builds

Post by Thanee »

Drahazar wrote:I was thinking of makeing either 2 ten man corsair squads with 2 hand bows.

They can only get one RHB each (only the champ can get a pair of them).

Just leave them with their 2HW and only give the pair of RHB to the champ.

Sea Serpent Standard is surely a good idea for one such unit, maybe even a 20 strong unit then (CR bonuses are always good to have).

And then Execs with Hag BSB with ASF banner and the Exec hero dude.

Executioners with a Death Hag BSB+ASF is definitely something that will work well. Probably make them 7 wide, so they get lots of attacks, and not too big (maybe just 14 models total).

I kind of want to go infintry heavy with some cal and bolt throwers.

Infantry heavy works well with the new list. Cheap Spearmen offer CR and can provide as stop gaps, one unit can even take the War Banner.

Black Guard is just awesome.

A pair of Bolt Throwers is almost always useful.

Also, some Dark Riders and Harpies are usually good to have around.

Bye
Thanee