pendant of khaeleth

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Deep one
Warrior

Post by Deep one »

izirath wrote:@Deep One

Like what?

This is the "test list"; I reposted my character models in case you do not feel like reading it all:

Supreme Sorceress lvl 4,
Sacrificial Dagger, ItP-Item*, 2 Scrolls,
Dark Steed ... 378

Master,BSB, Halberd
Ring of Hotek, AoD,
Manticore ... 359
Please note my Druchii.net post count is higher than the number of actual WFB battles I've fought so far, so my opinion on Tactics might not be the Ultima Ratio ...
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

Azure wrote:You also forget that when hes mounted on a dragon (and I see that being quite common) you'll need 5's and then 6's.

-Rex

Oof...yeah, forgot about that.

Man, am I the only one who feels a bit dirty for comtemplating this item? The thing is just, well, Thorek-ish.

I might only reserve it for enemies who need to be taught lessons in humility. Like Thoreks or Double Stanks, for instance...
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Milney
Beastmaster

Post by Milney »

Moonblade wrote:
Also remember the pendant is not just rolling under, but EQUAL TO OR UNDER.
- Meh, that's the reason I think this item is somehow... well... broken. If it was only "roll under" it would have been a decent item. But when you add "or equal" it goes off the board of balance :D Effectively a 4+/3+/2+ Ward Save, that actually doesn't even count as one (and so you could potentially have additional ward save, or at least you remain unaffected by stuff that denies the right of ward save) for the price of 35pts when a regular 4+WS costs about 45pts and on the top of that, the best possible scenario for you is the one you normally fear the most - high Strength. ... ... ... imba.

It does count as a ward save. The very first words of the description are "This gives a ward save..."
"Give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!"

W : D : L (7th Edition)
6 : 1 : 4
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Something to keep in mind that I found out recently is that the pendant doesn't work in some situations - like needing to take a strength or toughness test or any other (albeit somewhat rare) situations where the attack doesn't have a specific strength. Still the best item in the game, mind you, but it does have a weakness or two. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

i assume taking the pendant and the shield of ghrond wouldnt be a good idea then.

seems like a great item, added with a armour, esp the regn one can make a lord very survivable.

i still like the black amulet tho, esp now the save is 4+, works vs ranged attacks and still rebounds.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

Count Zero wrote:i assume taking the pendant and the shield of ghrond wouldnt be a good idea then.

Quite correct.

I was thing about this item just today at work.

Now baring in mind that 1 "point" of ward save is costed at 15 points. You would have to be getting hit be Strength 2's or things that don't have strength, for it not to be cost effective. Even if you just get hit by Strength 3's you've saved yourself 10 points. Also as mentioned, versus hits of low strength you can get armour saves that laugh at the hits.
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

One way to take out a charcter with the pendant is . . .

with the Chillblade!!!

The pendant doesn't kick in since there is no stength to the attack -- you just take a toughness test (on toughness 3). And if you fail that, the Chillblade ignores armor save.

So the way to cancel out the best Ward Save in the game is with another Druchii item.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Promises
Black Guard

Post by Promises »

It is a very good item indeed. Still, in all honesty I dont often bother with a lot of save items. I dont often make very combat-y characters, and if I do they usually dont end up getting hit all that much, either because they'r supposed to kill (almost) everyone facing them or because hitting something else (mount/unit) is a better choice. As such, also keeping in mind that a DE char is not likely to wipe out units on his own I dont feel the item is too overpowered.
I hate sandcastles
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

My local VC player likes to field a unit of about half a dozen Wraiths, so I'm thinking that this on a Master (coupled with a basic magic weapon - probably Sword of Might) would make a good way to tie them down for the entire game.