Morathi queen bee or what?!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Crimsonsun
Trainee Warrior

Morathi queen bee or what?!

Post by Crimsonsun »

just looking at the new book and in my opinion she is really kicking it, she comes with a good ward, magic res, her beauty, a choice of weapons, a hard peg, bonus casting, all dark magic spells, three attacks on profile, and then you can add an arcane item- black staff anyone? Plus an enchanted item to mix it up, i was thinking either hydra's teeth or dragon egg so there is not a phase she is redundant. I cant see any other character in the book being as all round useful. The witch king is hard, but a lucky unit champ with a magic biting blade can take him down.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I very much doubt a unit champion would take down Malekith even if he was on foot. Wound him maybe but then that blade goes byebye along with that champions 1 wound.

Morathi is pretty solid though, 6 spells unlimited power dice per spell and you can give her items to generate up even more, and she knows power of darkness. I agree that she is a hardcore character. I would of course arm her with the heartrender 8)
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

I still wish she had access to Slaaneshi spells. :( I really hate that they removed that aspect from her.
Crimsonsun
Trainee Warrior

Post by Crimsonsun »

Heartrender wrote:I very much doubt a unit champion would take down Malekith even if he was on foot. Wound him maybe but then that blade goes byebye along with that champions 1 wound.

Morathi is pretty solid though, 6 spells unlimited power dice per spell and you can give her items to generate up even more, and she knows power of darkness. I agree that she is a hardcore character. I would of course arm her with the heartrender 8)
A blood knight champ could, four attacks, hitting on fours, wounding on threes, best save would be 5+ only if you were on a cold one. Its not likely but never impossible. Heartrender would be my weapon of choice, also but im guessing its pretty obvious in your case.
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

MonkeyLord wrote:I still wish she had access to Slaaneshi spells. :( I really hate that they removed that aspect from her.

While I agree with this, Morathi is still hands down my favourite SC... both in terms of rules in the new book and in terms of Warhammer background.

She will be quite distressingly disgusting in a magic heavy list, with Black Staff and say a Deathmask (to make her cause some terror tests). I can't wait to give it a spin in a few games where SC's are allowed (most of my gaming buds and I have agreed to keep it SC free, to avoid arguements, but there is always the pre-planned fun game when we're just itching to try out the new SC on the block).
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Morathi is still among the top tier of special characters. She will always know soul stealer and has mobility to get in position to replenish her wounds if her 4+ ward is pentrated. Heartrender is indeed the obvious choice. I much prefer her to Teclis.

Deathmask is a good idea for her but can't becombined with PoD staff as that item is 55 pts. Deathmask + dispel scroll or crystal of midnight would be strong.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Scorpioni
Cold One Knight

Post by Scorpioni »

Is Morathi limited to 100pts of extra magic items? I swear I read you could take ANY enchanted and/or arcane item for the appropriate cost
Let your blades drink deep, my fellow executioners!
B0yceb0y
Dark Rider

Post by B0yceb0y »

What about focus familiar? So she can cast outside of combat and be screened. Or is it not necc. since she has better abilities then a normal lvl4 peg.

I have yet to play her, but her model will be used in most of my games when I get it.
Delta_man_sam
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delta_man_sam »

You need the power of darkness with her to make her savage, so you can cast black horror and soul stealer all in the same magic phase :D
Delta_man_sam
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delta_man_sam »

scorpioni wrote:Is Morathi limited to 100pts of extra magic items? I swear I read you could take ANY enchanted and/or arcane item for the appropriate cost

She can take any 2 magic items, 1 from arcane, 1 from enchanted. No points limit.

You need the power of darkness bound with her to make her savage, so you can cast black horror and soul stealer all in the same magic phase :D
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

I just come of the back of a Torney 2nd heat, after using Morathi under 6th Ed she was instrumental in every game, and even then I managed to get Black horror and Steal soul off together several times, under the new rules for her she is horiffic, I tent to make it my mission to cast all 6 of her spells in 1 turn
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

Mordru wrote:Deathmask is a good idea for her but can't becombined with PoD staff as that item is 55 pts. Deathmask + dispel scroll or crystal of midnight would be strong.

This isn't actually a problem. She can take one Arcane and one Enchanted item, and is not limited by any sort of points limitation. There is no 'up to a hundred points' mark, just you pay whatever the items cost. This is why it is such a good combo on her, because it she already has a Ward, Magic Res, Great Casting abilities, Knows all Spells, and with Heartrender she's even decently hitty. These two items give her the two things she lacks, fear/terror immunity and a Bound spell to make her even more deadly before she even starts casting, which happens to give you even more power dice to play with those 6 spells she always knows.
Delta_man_sam
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delta_man_sam »

It doesn't say anywhere you have to pay for the points of the extra magic items does it?
Prince daerlythe
Black Guard

Post by Prince daerlythe »

It's implied though.

So far, Morathi is sounding to truly be what she is: the power behind (and beside) the throne of Naggaroth. Given the black staff and with +1 to cast, she could easily have 11 power dice to herself per magic phase! not even the wizards of tzeentch can manage that.

Granted she'll cost a pretty penny, but she'll also be worht every one of them. Morathi poses as a great leader in a themed army of the covenants of sorceresses, or in a cult of khaine list (though hellebron would fill the later post just as well).
Blood stains the snow. Glory to Khaine!
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

does she still have S4?
and what is the effect of her beauty? if i remember correctly (6th ed rules) models in basecontact have the make a LD test - if they fail WS is reduced to 1 or something like that...
At last, we will have revenge...
Tolkar of har ganeth
Dark Rider

Post by Tolkar of har ganeth »

''May take one arcane and/or one enchanted item for the point cost indicated on page 100 and 103'' is what it says.

My idea is to give her the dagger and drop her into a sacrifical unit warriors without shield or command. She has seven spells, thus seven extra power dice. Counting her four normal dice and the two standard dice, she'll be able to use 13 dice a turn on her own! (Of course you still have to add the dice you generated with the power of darkness spell.)
The obvious downside is the fact that you'd have to sacrifice around 35 models in one game. Which is way to much. And the huge risk of a miscast...

Her dark pegasus actually has three attacks and WS4!
KILL!!!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

And you can't put her inside a unit as long as she's on the pegasus, flying mounts/characters can't join units.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

VonKrieglitz wrote:
Mordru wrote:Deathmask is a good idea for her but can't becombined with PoD staff as that item is 55 pts. Deathmask + dispel scroll or crystal of midnight would be strong.

This isn't actually a problem. She can take one Arcane and one Enchanted item, and is not limited by any sort of points limitation. There is no 'up to a hundred points' mark, just you pay whatever the items cost. This is why it is such a good combo on her, because it she already has a Ward, Magic Res, Great Casting abilities, Knows all Spells, and with Heartrender she's even decently hitty. These two items give her the two things she lacks, fear/terror immunity and a Bound spell to make her even more deadly before she even starts casting, which happens to give you even more power dice to play with those 6 spells she always knows.

I stand corrected. Since she is not bound by the 100 pt limit the above combo is as good as it gets. If facing folks who insist on using special characters I will be taking her. With all these abilities and the customizing options in addition she is clearly the real power behind the throne. She just needs one lvl 2 in support with a couple of scrolls and she will own the magic phase.

As Dalamar pointed out the dagger does nothing for her as she cannot join units. Too bad she can't kill her pegasus or stab herself and heal the wounds back with soul stealer.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

would the focus familiar be a good choice? i know it means you sacrifice the black staff, but it could give soul stealer 18" range and back horror 24", plus of course you can keep her hidden.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

It's a tough choice. Once you get rid of cannons you should be able to fly around and even get into combat fairly safely I would hope. The main advantage of Morathi I think is that she knows all the dark spells. The black staff helps her cast them. However the familiar is better for taking advantage of her combat abilities.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"