Black Ark Corsairs: Handbow or Two Hand Weapons?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Handbow or two weapons?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:20 pm

Handbow
8%
Two Hand Weapons
92%

Total votes: 66

Oldone
Dark Rider

Black Ark Corsairs: Handbow or Two Hand Weapons?

Post by Oldone »

The title says it all: I've got my spearhead, complete with its 10 Black Ark Corsairs. I haven't used corsairs before - should I assemble them with handbows or 2HW? And is it worth adding command to a unit this small or should I wait until I've got another 10?
You need to get out more.
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

two hand weapons so you get 2 attacks in combat, imo 8" shooting is not where you want to be and a stg 3 stand and shoot isnt the best thing either
Gustav
Dark Rider

Post by Gustav »

only time i'm goign to use handbows is for small 10 man units that will harry opponents. they would be good b.c high range resistance and only 100 points.

other then that always 2 hand weps but not sure how much i'll use corsairs still prefer the much cheaper spearmen. only thing your paying 4 xtra points for is an additional attack and +1 armour vrs. shooting, and if you are charged the spearmen get the same amount of attack because of spears. and could use their hand weapons and sheilds to get a +4 save if needed.
Kheirakh
Assassin

Post by Kheirakh »

I will almost always use 2 hand weapons. Only in big battles I will use a unit of 10 with handbows, for they cost only 105 pts with a musician, have 10 wounds, a 4+ save against missile fire and are a decent support unit especially in situations when it is clear that I will break the enemy and I want to catch them.

I have two questions. Is it possible to take a unit of corsairs with two hand weapons and then give two hand bows to the reaver? Does the reaver still have two hand weapons in CC if carrying two bows?
My avatar is so cute, isn't it?
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

2 hand weapons, the only use i can see of handbows is small ten man baiting units and 'detachmants' for the larger 20 blocks with 2 hand weapons
Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lowcash »

So what is the rule if you take 2 hand-rxb's? Can you use them in CC? If so they would be insane. Also, they are the hand-rxbs 3 shots each like Mengil's is?
Man I can't wait to get my book so I can look up all of my goofy questions. I have been tempted to go to the local store and take camera phone pics of the important parts of the book. :P
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

2 shots, 8 inch range. Repeater handbows are not the same as Mengils Repeater Handpistol i think its called. Anyway, you can only have 1 handbow except the reaver (unit champion). So your corsairs chose between 2 hand weapons (+1 attack combat) or handbow + hand weapon, no bonus in combat but get the range and stand and shoot. Reaver can have 2 handbows giving him 3 shots i beleive and 2 hand weapons in combat ;)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

2 handweapons are better in most situations.
RHB are interesting in some specific situations.
I plan to have 2 units with 2 weapons and one unit with rhb.
See also http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=55554
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
B0yceb0y
Dark Rider

Post by B0yceb0y »

Calisson, will your units be 10 each? I liked the idea of having a 20 man unit with 2xhw. and lokir sometimes. It would look good. But I dont think its the best option.

I want a unit of RHbs and think they could do well with two units of hws for flanking in a corsair base list.
Natzjiak
Trainee Warrior

Post by Natzjiak »

I will use my 20 strong block of metal corairs with 2 HW and will assemble my spearhead corsairs with handbows. The idea of using them as missile-resistant bodyguard for a sorceress, able to shoot a withering hail of handbow fire towards charging enemies appeals to me...
Delta_man_sam
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delta_man_sam »

I always take 2 hw with the frenzy banner but always give mey reaver 2 Handbows as theirs an option just to give him 2 so you might as well in case your charged. They are useless as we charge 10" so whats the point.
Warpghost
Guardian of Montreford

Post by Warpghost »

The handbows are for small support units. However, as small support units seem to be the only worthwhile manner to use Corsairs, that probably means if I for some reason end up with Corsairs in my list (not looking terribly likely atm), thats how I will run them. The flank charge and pursuit rule are the reason for using them, not their combat power. Warriors have almost the same (slightly less offensive but less purturbed by casualties) combat power but come in much cheaper. At least they then have flexibility and an even better opportunism streak (plus an additional disincentive for enemy fast cav and skirmishers, as they effectively have 50% more attacks than a unit with 2hw when taking the charge)
Just giving my Z$100bn.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I don't know... Rhb just don't seem like they're worth it - we've just got better things for riddling our enemies with toothpicks, methinks... Corsairs work as offensive spearmen, armored witch elves or screen, depending on the number of models in the unit and dedpending on their equipment. Shooting better be left to the professionals (shades :twisted:) and the semi-professionals (warriors with crossbows). I don't complain about the option but I fail to see the use for it. A screening corsair unit may benefit from having Rhb because they are not meant to see combat anyway and if they stand before a hill preventing things from charging the RBT and warriors and sorceresses up there, a stand and shoot reaction from them might come in handy, but even then it doesn't really do anything impressive. And then, of course, there is the fact that a screening unit is hardly of any use if standing in front of a unit on a hill... and the fact that screening missile troops ain't the smartest thing to do anyway...

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

The handbow is an almost useless option. They should have made it something you paid extra for, and not something you swapped for free. +2pts per model to add a handbow would have been so much better, and you might actually see people use this option...
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

I like the idea of having them in units of 10 to bodyguard a sorcerer/ess, with a handbow.
But then I think, why not 10 rxbmen? With shields in combat they are better.
I suppose the Corsairs are actually a little cheaper in that situation, but the rxbmen will do better with that longer range and armour piercing.
It is a little disappointing they didnt make corsairs any better, bar the models. But even they werent bad last time round.
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
B0yceb0y
Dark Rider

Post by B0yceb0y »

Well I dont know how to make mine.

10 in the Spearhead/then 20 more in the battalion.

Should I make 3 units of 10 w 2hw.

OR 2 units of 10 with hw's and a unit of rhbs

OR a 10 man unit w/ hws and a 20 man unit with hws.

Also what command are you guys going to use? A mus. and champ in small units? All in 20+?

(Thought it would be a waste to start a new topic) thanks.
Delta_man_sam
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delta_man_sam »

I now have a unit of 20 with full command and the frenzy banner, it means you get 16 attacks on the charge which has the potential to do a lot of damage.
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

2HW
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Kuren rath
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kuren rath »

I've got to go with the two hand weapons, they make the corsairs a real threat in close combat, and it doesn't seem worth it to give up their attacks for the handbow, especially when we have an awesome ranged weapon already. The only time i might consider using the handbow over the crossbows is in a corsair themed army
Dethklok117
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dethklok117 »

2HW.

Unless u are planning for them to just run in and take pop shots and run away. Still better to go with the Hand Weapons though.
"Why So Serious?....Lets put a smile on that face. :D"-The Joker-
Evilelf
Corsair

Post by Evilelf »

For effectiveness on the battle field: 2 HW definitely. For style and looks: RHB's + handweapon looks really cool.

What's done is done, but how cool would RHB be if a unit of corsairs could become skirmishers (not scouts) when choosing RHBs?

Edit: (just so you guys don't think I'm crazy) What I envision is small squads of corsairs coming over the beach to raid a sea-side village moving house-to-house kicking in doors and filling any who resist full of quills. Similar to modern day Military Operations in Urban Terrain. Would be just a cool unit if not necessarily all that effective. (though I think such a unit would team up well with Shades)
Last edited by Evilelf on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No sense in beating a dead High Elf; except maybe for the joy of it." attributed to Marterist Grimore, Dark Elf Noble, General, and all-around mean guy.
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

True
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Silphid
Slave on the Altar

Post by Silphid »

Ok bear in mind I'm totally new to Fantasy;

What about a unit of 2HW corsairs, with Champion using 2x RHB? For those instances where you get charged, sacrificing 1 CC attack for 4 shots into the enemy as they close in. Whould that be a worthwhile setup?
Warpghost
Guardian of Montreford

Post by Warpghost »

Having thought about Corsairs some more today (helped by remembering their Frenzy banner), they certainly do look much more tempting with the 2hw option for the fole of, as Mr. Anderson puts it, armoured witch elves. I would still use the handbow for small support units, due to the flexibility as im not looking at them for melee combat power in such a role.
Just giving my Z$100bn.

Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever
Fleshcollector
Noble

Post by Fleshcollector »

Is the minimum unit 5 or 10?

If 5 then I would use a few units of 5-7 for flanks, detatchments, and support. Otherwise the 2hw is the way to go.
Excuse me. I've come to harvest your flesh.