Possible cauldron protecting tactic

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Possible cauldron protecting tactic

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

So I've seen the new book at my local store and now that I'm home an interesting thought came to me about the cauldron, more specifically trying to protect it.

Now I know some people may be good at protecting it from Close Combat attacks but now that it moves and will be with the main battle line it may be tougher to defend.

So my idea is that since the Cauldron's "crew" are witch elf hags, you can equip them with the khainite item that removes an attack. Equiq both crew and the WE hero with this and you are looking at much fewer attacks than normal.

I haven't tried this out yet so I have no idea if it would work or if it cost effective but for those that have trouble protecting the cauldron it may be worth looking into.
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

I think the cauldron has only one hag who rides upon it and the other two are witch elves, so you could only give one the HofK.
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

plus i beleive it only works in a challange, however it could be a good idea to give everyone manbane... with a 4+ ward save and a minimum of 13 attacks going back if they all survive... that could be worth the investment
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

only the hag may buy upgrades. THe other two are champion levels, but it makes no mention of being able to give them gear.

I do like the idea of putting the hag bsb as the cauldron keeper... if you can spare the ASF banner that gives the cauldron 10+ asf poison attacks and an extra +1 combat res. SHould keep skirmishers, fliers, even some monsters at bay.
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

Hmm too bad they can't take upgrades, oh well guess that idea is out then.
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Post by Strollinthewoods »

To be honest? Dont worry at all about it. I actually played a few games i last edition with the Cualdron, and loosing it in hth, is seldom an issue.

Now its even better, having a hero in there, and still beeing lowercosted that it used to be.

Use it as you used to, knowing that its now even stronger in hth. Support units probably wont be able to take it out anyways, and points for you if the try, and loose the units.

Often you will find a suitable forest to walk into.. =)

Oh and if need arises, you can just use harpies, as either a speedbump to set up countercharges, or just redirect, with flee/sacrifice.

I for one think that time will show us that harpies are way undercosted, and that they sureley have overcompansated when they went from 15 pts 0-1 special to 11 unlimited core with generals ld in adition to that.

have them within 12 of the general first turn, and within the 12" of ring of hotec, and youll see why they are grossly undercosted. 3 units will be mandatory in most of my lists.
Count zero
Cold One Knight

Post by Count zero »

can the cauldron be deployed inside a unit like the scremaing bell?
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
Von_wibble
Trainee Warrior

Post by Von_wibble »

I think the cauldron is considered a unit in its own right and therefore can't join another (p.93 of DE book, "If a Death Hagchooses a Cauldron of Blood, she becomes part of that unit...")

The Cauldron has quite a large range and no LOS requirement which makes things easier. Harpies and 10 man warrior units can protect through redirection. Alternatively a small(ish) unit of Executioners could provide a good shuield - being stubborn, they can be relied upon not to run. This of course uses up a special though.
Decker_cky
Black Guard

Post by Decker_cky »

No. It's a war machine and moves like one.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Warmachine confirmed.
As such, it cannot join any other unit, although Khainite characters can join it.
It cannot move inside a building either.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Did they come out with a new model for it? I haven't gotten the new book and am anxiously waiting for my copy to arrive.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1