"Army-Wide" special rules

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Soupman
Cold One Knight

"Army-Wide" special rules

Post by Soupman »

Something I've noticed in the new book is that with the Cauldron and magic items/banners we have the ability to get a certain(or a couple) speciel rule/concepts for a lot of units at the same time. It might not be as effective as it is cool, but I like the idea a lot, so I thought I would share my thoughts with you:

Killing blow(personal favorite):
1-2 Units of Executioners, a unit of Black Guard or Frenzy Corsairs(or any suitable unit really) boosted by the Cauldrons killing blow ability, a Manticore and a Master on a Dark Pegasus with the killing blow lance. Suddenly quite a big part of your army gets killing blow, two of which are flying, quite scary really

Multiple attacks
Frenzy Corsairs, Witch Elves, Black guard and the Cauldrons +1 A ability and you can pick op a lot of dice in every combat.

Immune to Psychology
Black Guard, Frenzy Corsairs, Witch Elves and Executioners(or Cold One Knights) with a character with the Immune to Psycology magic item and you can have an entire battle line that just keeps marching forward until your opponent shoots the last man dead.

Fear/Terror
Cold One Knights, A BSB with the new cheaper fear banner, a couple of monsters(Hydras, manticores) and possible even Executioners with Tullaris and you have fear and terror all around.

Ofcourse you probrably should mix all these abilities, but I think it's one of the cool things about the new book, that you can give such a big part of your army a certain power.

I am definatly going to try making a list based around some of these ideas, I certainly am going to enjoy large amounts of killing blow in my lists. What do you think?
Last edited by Soupman on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andreas
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

A Killing Blow flavoured army... that will let some opponents hesitate for sure! ;)

Bye
Thanee
Soupman
Cold One Knight

Post by Soupman »

I'd shiz my pants if I was using any melee characters against an army with that much killing blow, thats for sure!
Andreas
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

You KB army sounds intrigueing, I'd like to see how it fares. Care to fight some battles and give us a report? And you have to fight Ogres... :twisted:

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Vorthain
Noble

Post by Vorthain »

Lonely Shade wrote:You KB army sounds intrigueing, I'd like to see how it fares. Care to fight some battles and give us a report? And you have to fight Ogres... :twisted:

- Lonely

Wouldn't KB not affect Ogres since they're not man-sized?
a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

vorthain wrote:Wouldn't KB not affect Ogres since they're not man-sized?

Absolutely correct. Only very specific models (which actually aren't Dark Elves) can killing blow models with a US greater than 2.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

The manticore has KB but only for mansized creatures, i'd have thought possibly larger since it goe around beating up other beasties and big ones at that, well maybe at push perhaps the carnosaur rule? I like the idea of 2 cauldrens that could be good fun and rather brutal plus great potetiol for carnage if used well.
Stand and deliver sir!, lest I cleft your head in twain....
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Also, to make more than one unit gain Killing Blow at the same time, you'd need more Cauldrons. To have both Black Guard, Corsairs and the master on Pegaus, you'd need three Cauldrons of Blood.

~ Nag
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Welcome back Nagathi! Long time no see my friend! :)

Two or Three CoBs? Fantasy, but not too real one. Well it won't do any good. The sheer amount of points needed, not to mention they would take out hero [Death Hag] slots, so there be less characters to deliver any serious punch.

The aspect I really like is indeed enlarged ability for psychological combat. With items like Gem Of Nightmares and already large amount of terror/fear causing units we have a lot of new possibilities. I'm toying now with idea of large DR unit, backed with Noble with aforementioned Gem - cheap, fast and outnumbering, do I need to say more?
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

I was thinking along the same line of thought as the_vicar, shouldn't monster-sized monsters be able to kick the asses of other monster-sized monsters? It's only logical...

And perhaps Tullaris can be of some use with his KB for models of all sizes...

Otherwise I'm very, very wrong. :oops:

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Iyagd: Hi there, pal. Been too long since I visited this place. Are you using the picture of me as your avatar?

Lonely Shade: "Kick ass" equals high strength and lots of attacks for monsters. Meaning they are probably the best units to kill other monsters. Dragons, Manticores and Hydrae all have lots of (rather) high strength attacks, and will be your best bet to kill other monsters. Manticores are a bit too wild and feral to deliver precision strikes that could warrant a killing blow.

~ Nag
Soupman
Cold One Knight

Post by Soupman »

My mistake, I meant to suggest using the Cauldron on EITHER Frenzy Corsairs or Black Guard. The Master gets killingblow from the Deathpiercer lance.

I'll try to give the list a spin:)
Andreas
Taikoubou
Trainee Warrior

fear/terror

Post by Taikoubou »

I love fear and terror. When I play Ogre Kingdoms I love not having to take fear tests because almost all my units cause fear. But sometimes I forget that I have it so when I play my Bretonnian friend he gets passed some test just because I don't remember, so he can actually take the test.

I love it when fear or terror makes them run away and off the board at that. :D Having Unit Strength over double does that to your opponent. :twisted:

Haven't been able to play the New Dark Elves yet, but once I am done with my vacation I will certainly be playing a few games with my friends when I get back.

My wife is excited to play with them as well.