Dark elf warriors and my reasons for not liking them.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dannyisevil
Shade

Post by Dannyisevil »

The plastic dark elf spear elfs looks...ok.
hands are indeed big and other plastic sprue you gets lot of options.
on the other hand the plastic spearmen are not that terrible.

I was thinking of using wood elf Eternal Guard for spearmen.
At the moment I want too stop with wood elfs and use unpainted wood elf models as dark elfs.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

I like the models, and think they are one of the better kits from 6th edition.
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Prinny
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Prinny »

I for one think the Dark Elf Warriors look like crap, especially by today's standards. I regretted buying them in 6th, but Dark Riders were hard to find for me back then. All the other DE Core choices' minis look far better anyway. Even from a strategic standpoint, they get shafted.

You know, if GW remade the models, without those ugly helmets, had better looking female torsos (and female HEADS for that matter), better looking weapons, I'd actually use them. Seriously, the current warrior range's females are merely just men with boobs.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

I like the 6th edition warriors, a lot more then the previous edition: http://membres.lycos.fr/crawd/93c3_1.JPG

Still can't believe that I still use one of them for a RBT crew because I lost a crew :cry:
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Crawd wrote:I like the 6th edition warriors, a lot more then the previous edition: http://membres.lycos.fr/crawd/93c3_1.JPG

Well, those ones were really bad, although remember that in those times there were no better :) And they were ordinary warriors, sword and shield armed, we also had metal Spearmen and metal RXBmen with 8 or 9 different variants each, which I really adore :).
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Adaephon
Slave on the Altar

Post by Adaephon »

Personally, I don't mind the models. From an army-making point of view, they're sufficiently detailed that you know what they are, but not overly detailed like some of the new kits which can be daunting if you have a couple of hundred of them to make.

As regards:
the current warrior range's females are merely just men with boobs.

Only stylised and completely useless female armour actually features cups on it (in my experience). Most females in real armour have only the long hair and slender jawline to differentiate them from the men... Granted, they are fantasy elves, but then the males should be just as slender as the females... (that's my opinion anyway).
Jymset
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jymset »

Prinny wrote:had better looking female torsos (and female HEADS for that matter)

You know, all aesthetics apart, and granted that there isn't much difference between any of the heads of that kit, there were two heads that were more petite and had longer necks. I always took those for the female elven heads.
Prinny
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Prinny »

Oh, I remember now, yeah I guess those were feminine....

But still, I would've liked more distinct female features in the warrior set. I know armor on a female would look similar to a male in real life, but this is Warhammer FANTASY. If Morathi can run around the battlefield butt naked and still have a ward save, I think it's okay for the female warriors to have more slender breastplates/arms and pretty faces.
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

Prinny wrote:Oh, I remember now, yeah I guess those were feminine....

But still, I would've liked more distinct female features in the warrior set. I know armor on a female would look similar to a male in real life, but this is Warhammer FANTASY. If Morathi can run around the battlefield butt naked and still have a ward save, I think it's okay for the female warriors to have more slender breastplates/arms and pretty faces.

yeah but then they be WE with spears, you could always convert or get other minitures, I got some GZ warriors, they are spectagular.

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/N ... rriors.jpg
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Rhakinlanthari
Executioner

Post by Rhakinlanthari »

I don't mind the plastic spearelves. The only thing I don't like about them are the helmets.

As for all the complaining about hand size, I think its ok. Has anyone seen the hand size on the metal 4th ed spearmen and plastic one pose swordsmen? That's huge handsize, not the 6th ed plastics.
Click this. You know you want to...
Sha'a'alaar
The Ancient One
Location: Not eating a bacon sandwich, near Brighton, Britain

Post by Sha'a'alaar »

If it's the models, have you considered using the figures from Gamezone? These guys do gorgeous alternative figures for a lot of GW models. I also use the old metal spear-elves.

cheers
Sha'a'alaar
Brunth
Slave on the Altar

Post by Brunth »

One word: Gamezone

BAM!!

Pow!

Brunth
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

To be honest, Gamezone's spearmen aren't from my fairy tale.

They have good points and I either respect or admire work done technically: they are good sculptes, have a lot of details but... Soomething's missing - I don't like them. They are also static, less covertable - made of metal alloy so more expensive, spears are more like weird halbards.

They also have not too much 'druchii' feel for me, although I respect different point of view and different concept
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

The basics of those spearmen are cool, but they need a few changes to work as Druchii. For example the shoulder pads: Druchii have pointed shoulder pads which don't cover the upper arms. And the spears just look wrong to me... like Iyagd said - more like halberds, but not really... and there is the drawback that you can't use them in GW stores or any tournament hosted by GW. And of course they're metal and hence more expensive... and I don't really mind our own spearmen all that much either... the only bad thing about them is their massive hands and that one head which looks like an odd pair of sunnies... but apart from that the models are great, actually. Call me weird, but I like them :D

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

The gamezone spearmen make great halberdiers. The "spears" are seriously axe like and do not make good spears in my view. The scuplts themselves are beautiful.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.