Suggestions for Expansion?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

General ravensong
Trainee Warrior

Suggestions for Expansion?

Post by General ravensong »

I've recently started my Dark elves army and they've been doing beautifully well, even without cheesing it up as much as people seem to expect me to.
here's what I have so far
21 Spearmen
10 Crossbowmen
15 Dark Riders (Converted from WE glade riders and DE warrior sprues =])
2 reaper bolt throwers
1 Sorceress on Cold One
5 Cold One Knights
1 Dreadlord/Master (Converted from Warrior sprue with extra bits)
1 Dreadlord (Converted from HE Dragon box)
1 Shadowblade/Assassin
10 Black Gaurd

I'm looking to eventually get to 3000 points with this army with some room to be flexible, and I think I've got enough Dark Riders, more would feel a bit pushing it as far as cheese goes. I like winning, but I've been on the receiving end of an all fast cav archer army, and it's not fun for either side.
I'm expecting to get the battalion box for my birthday at the end of the month, which will more or less get me more than flexible enough as far as core goes, but i'd like suggestions as to how I should flush out my as far as special and rare units go.
I'd like to try to stick to a relatively Drow (Faerun, not Ebberon) Theme, with my Hero and Lord choices being mostly female.

I'm considering witch elves, because they fit in very well with the Drow theme I've been planning for my army, but they just seem too fragile to actually be useful, especially when I'm normally going to be playing against High Elves, which will eat them up before they get to attack and dwarves, which will likely rifle them down.

As far as the new hydra goes, it looks absolutely beautiful, even if I never used it in a battle, I'd be more than happy just to paint it up.

I was considering just doing trial and error with the new list, but then I remembered that there was a huge pool of experience to draw on here.

Basically, I think I'm going to have more than enough shooting in my army, and I think I'm going to be done with my knights at 10, so if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can round out my army, I'm all ears.
Funny, we complain that we're too fragile...
you complain that we're broken...
Delita
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delita »

I'm by no means a phenominal player but there are a few tips that have come up before. Harpies make wonderful screens for units plus being only 11 pts a piece you can field tons of small units for really cheap. Most army lists people post will have a utmost max of 3 DR units in it so you should be fine there. Shades I've heard wonderful things happen with them but I haven't used them enough to give a solid opinion on their effectiveness. Executioners a lot of people hate because they have always strike last mixed with inate low toughness/armor of elves. I don't mind them so much but I really don't think I'll ever field them against HE again. They died way too easily to be of much use unless you were to use a BSB Death Hag with BoHG in the unit to give it an edge.

Those are the main things that I've seen come up a lot for special choices atleast. Rare units it's either RBT's or hydra and I just love the psychological effect of RBT's on the opponent to pass them up.
Elfik
Assassin
Location: Victoria, BC, on the Western shores of the New World

Post by Elfik »

Get more black guard so you can take some shooting/combat casualties. A box(or two) of five should do it, and make sure you have command models.

After that it seems you have enough core, so think about specials and rares. If you want to paint a hydra may as well use it in your army too, since it's so good.
People say "insert problem" but it's better to say "insert improvement"
Hainzy
Dark Rider

Post by Hainzy »

Something large, mad and flappy would be great!
I've always had a thing for Manticores but hey, there's nothing wrong with a big black dragon!

Cheers!

H :twisted:
You can take your vamp lord on zombie dragon, 48 graveguard, blackcoach, 3 wraiths, 2 units of dogs and your 3 units of 10 piddly zombies and shove them up your f&$%ing a$$.....

Worst game of warhammer I've ever played.....

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

To fix those problems you have with Witch Elves you could have a Death Hag BSB with ASF Banner with them to go before most HE on account of I6, use Harpies to screen them from shooting and also to stop unwanted charges because of Frenzy. Or alternately you could give them a 5+ ward save from the Cauldron of Blood. Those are some ideas you can play around with and I'm sure you can think of more.

I'd personally get more crossbowmen but that's personal preference. Also you could use Morathi and her rules or her model to represent a sorceress on pegasus. Hope this helps and good luck with your DE.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

I'd just like to add an additional recommendation for the hydra, characterful model (though I'd prefeer it wasn't razor-thin, fixable by greenstuff though), and an absolute beast on the table top.

In a recent battle vs Empire, a Last Stand scenario with me as the defender, my pet hydra "Munch-Munch" roasted 6 skirmishing archers, scared the rest off the table, flamed 15 (!) swordsmen to death in one puff, terrified a wizard off the table, went roasty-toasty over 8 handgunners and then ate the remaining two. All the while soaking two cannonballs and a volley of handgunner shots thanks to regeneration.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Get some Cold One Knights, perfectly fitting the Drow theme and their lizard cavalry.
Harpies are almost a neccessity these days so get at least 10 of those, maybe do some bat-like conversions to make them more cave-dwelling
And obviously a hydra, but if I may suggest this:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront ... nav=301375
model
The spider comes with a 50x50 base so it is *big*, big enough to play the role of a hydra, just get it a chariot base and you're good to go.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Delita
Trainee Warrior

Post by Delita »

*shames himself for forgetting BG* Yeah, those things are an almost must. I love them and they have been amongst the most usefull against the most different opponents.
General ravensong
Trainee Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Dalamar: Thanks for reminding me about the lizard cavalry, as I was putting together the new Cold One Knights today I'd remembered that at least Menzoberranzan makes use of those, and that's the city my House is going to be from, so I think i'm actually going to pick up another box of those later this week. As far as the spider, it looks great, but if I pick it up I think I'll make that a chariot.

Aspiring: Thanks for pointing out the ASF banner, I hadn't noticed we had one yet, I'll probably be putting a block of Witch Elves in my army soon then. As far as Morathi goes, I'm sure she's a great help on the battlefield, but I don't want to explain to my girlfriend why I'm painting nipples on tiny little women (which i suppose rules out harpies as well, unless I convert those from demonettes or something).

Cal'Mihe: I think I'll pick up the hydra just before I go back to college, that way I'll have something fun to throw at my DnD group

Delita and Elfik: I think I'm going to grab the BG command box and leave 'em at 15.

To do list
2-3 boxes of witches
1 box BG
I think i'm going to rely on the battalion box for the last of the cold ones, but if i fall in love with them at some point along the line, then another 2 boxes
1 hydra... later
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Harpies, Harpies, Harpies as Dalamar said and add 5 more. They are just so good for lots of things. They are cheap, core and compliment your dark riders.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
General ravensong
Trainee Warrior

I'd considered the harpies, but I think I want to keep my army made completely of elves, and harpies don't quite fit the fluff I'm going for, so I think I'm going to leave them alone... until I cant keep from converting them from demonettes anymore :twisted: