Knights vs. Chariots

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mormeguil
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mormeguil »

This discussion is making me interested in using a two large units of Cold one knights with two cold one chariots.

All mounted army and my two units cause fear allowing for easy autobreak and monstrous combat resolution on the charge...me like it.

More on the discussion, I definetly prefer chariot. I love to combine charges, they make the perfect support for elite infantry like ours
Poisonblade
Beastmaster

Post by Poisonblade »

In offensive lists I prefer Knights, mainly because they can march and are still decent if they get charged. They are also a much bigger threat on your opponents flank.

In defensive lists I think chariots are a better fit, since you can pretty much stay still, so not marching isn't a big deal. In defensive lists your opponent will be more eager to get into combat too(to avoid magc/shooting) which makes getting the charge off a little easier usually.

I like the idea of masters/bsb in a chariot. I used to run 2 nobles in chariots and 2 hydras (back when they sucked) and did pretty well... I may try that list again.
Hate is my weapon.
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

I've been experimenting with two chariots recently and had great sucess. They are T5, decent enough save and can smash those pesky ASF units
As a support unit they work great, sure they are only 7" movers till the charge, but that just means I keep them in the supporting roll I take them, usually next to my Corsairs with serpent banner, or my Spearmen(and women) of 30 for combat res.

I never, ever, use a single chariot to charge an unengaged unit (stupidity tests aside

:lol: )

When taking COK, I feild a unit of ten,FC, SoS, General and BSB with the Hyda Banner. These guys are my linebreakers and they do it very well, especially when bolstered by the CoB as well.......

So... in summary, I think COC are a great support unit
All that said, my games are usually 3000pts +
Mythic77
Warrior

Post by Mythic77 »

I prefer the knights for the US. 5 knights are US 10 and so can often outnumbered and autobreak small, elite enemy units.

5 knights with FC and the standard of slaughter should be able to beat just about any non-block unit on the charge, even if they fluff their attacks.

Works wonders on Empire knights, WoC Chosen and other hard to kill units.
Group 28
Khalea
Height 5'8" (1.67 m)
Weight 80 pounds (36.28 kg).
WS: 4
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 5

Equipment: Long sword,Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Thieves tools, Wrist blades, 2x daggers, 265.5 gold, anything else she can get her hands on.
Skills: Basic Stealth.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I think chariots have different roles:

Chariots are good for
Using against ASF troops (ie high elves)
making your opponent nervous
smashing your opponents in the front (getting the rear or flank is great, but their inability to march makes this harder and their impact hits makes it less necessary)

5 naked knights are good for
Charging against non ASF troops
Flank and rear support

I just think that if you take a chariot, its best to take it as a mount now.

I thought it still takes up a special slot, even if you put a character in it. Only Orcs and Goblins have the ability to field characters in chariots without losing special slots...

That said, I do occasionally take both, but will usually use the chariot in the front as a counter charger and the naked knights around the flank. But as Loki points out, special slots are premium and many people would prefer to take other choices.

but I would choose Hydra over these two stupid unit!

Haha, ultimately yup. I'd rather have an extra unit of dark riders than either of these stupid forces.

I played against an opponent with two chariots and a unit of 5 knights with champion yesterday. Some lucky shooting in my first turn whittled him down to one chariot with one wound left (killed the other chariot and forced the knights down to one, who fled). He was all lined up to make the best of it with a charge on my black guard when, heheheh, it failed its stupidity test. My nearby assassin with S5 rending stars promptly finished it off on my next turn.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

While this is a bit of a threadomancy case I did have a happy streak with knights a while back.

Running two naked units in an army also containg a CoB was much fun. As have been noted, naked knights are cheap enough to saccrifice and taking two means tactical flexibility and redundancy against stupidity. With an extra attack, even naked knights hit very very hard making then a prime threatener at a reasonable prize.

Then again, without the CoB, I usually go for a chariot. Cheaper and may "negate" ASF.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Vesidel
Dark Rider

Post by Vesidel »

One more thing about chariots is that they can't be march blocked! They work very nicely for supporting the flanks of infantry units while protecting them from being too close to enemy skirmishers or fast cavalry that would otherwise slow their movement.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

a chariot cant march anyway so march blocking doesnt apply
Vesidel
Dark Rider

Post by Vesidel »

thenick18 wrote:a chariot cant march anyway so march blocking doesnt apply

Thanks, but that's my point. A Chariot can't be marchblocked because it can't march. CoK's can be marchblocked and so have to take on a more agressive role if their speed is to be considered an asset.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Ah, yeah, same thing, two ways to say it. Glass is half empty, or half full.