RHB's. What uses do they have?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Endra divini
Shade

RHB's. What uses do they have?

Post by Endra divini »

Greetings everyone.
I am going to assemble my 2nd corsair unit and I would like to give them RHB's since I love the look. Unfortunetly when our book came out they were deemed as unusable and poor.
Now that over a year has past since our 7th ed book has anyone found decent uses for them? I though i'd better find out before I assemble them because I wouldn't want to screw up my model assembly.

cheers.
Endra the corrupted

WS 6
S 3
T 3
D 4
I 4

Image: Tall and Lean.
His black armour leaks with a searing dark due.
And over his back is a cloak of which speaks to him of his past for he himself had long since forgotten it.
Bladedaywalker18
Slave on the Altar

Post by Bladedaywalker18 »

Actually Calisson did a whole tactica on RHB corsairs right here http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=763716#top
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

They aren't unusable, people just tend to prefer repeater crossbows. I used a unit of 10 in my game last night and I killed a vargulf, how is that unusable? Certainly payed for the units point cost right there. Then they set a unit of blood knights up for an executioner/assassin flank charge... Which ended badly I am sorry to say.

The biggest advantage is the lack of any shooting penalty, so they are a fairly effective mobile shooting unit, at close range.

They can serve a similar purpose to harpies and DR, by getting flank charges and baiting units along.

They are also death against enemy fast cav, since they can resist enemy shooting and pop out 22 shots per turn.

If you put an assassin in the unit they can hold a building very well, since they can always stand and shoot.
Rez
Warrior

Post by Rez »

A unit of 10 Corsairs with RHB is the perfect unit to protect a flank. They can clog up a fair bit of space, and they essentially bar any fast cav or flyers from using that flank to encircle your army.

I also use a unit to screen my Black Guard. They can absorb a fair bit of light missile fire, and when you get close they are great diverters, and can let loose with a lot of short range firepower. They are pretty much always hitting on 4's, so are great for wiping of a rank bonus of any unit engaging your battle line. I think they are great for the points.
Vesidel
Dark Rider

Post by Vesidel »

I like the idea of using them on a flank to handle light cavalry. I'm sure this would work a number of times before my local gamers got wise and stopped charging them with 5 strong fast cav units.