shadowblade

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

King porky
Shade

shadowblade

Post by King porky »

I am just wondering if anyone is having him in their army because you can get a normal assassin for around half the points to do his job and it doesn't take up a hero slot.

Mod Edit: grammar and spelling are highly appreciated around here. Please make sure that no matter how short your post is, it at least consists of one complete sentence. Thank you.
- Anderson
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I don't know if I will ever play actually him, but I just bought one shadowblade model so that my usual playing partners know that I have got one.
The main difference with the normal assassin is his ability to begin inside an enemy's unit: it kills one of the models (he replaces it) and immediately attacks the unit (deadly for war machines).
The use for support in attacking bigger units is less credible, there you better have a mundane assassin.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Atherus shadowstorm
Trainee Warrior

Post by Atherus shadowstorm »

Dont think ill ever use him either but heres my general thoughts on him:

Good points:
Very high Ws, Bs, I and a decent if not huge move
Killing blow + poison atttacks (sure they dont go all that well together but its still a decent combo imo)
Dark venom (can be useful in a challenge especially if the unit champion accepts it)
Str potion is useful if really handicaped by being only 1 use.
Can hide in enemy units

Bad points:
Ultimately hes still an elf (t3) with no armor save and only a 5+ ward save to protect him.

Reason wont take him:
Points cost. At 300 pts even in larger battles thats a lot for 1 character, and probably a good chunk of your points. For the same you can get 2 assassins with double the wounds, more than double the attacks (with Rune of Khaine, which for some stupid reason he doesnt have) and they can be in 2 places compaired to his one.
You can just get so many more damaging units for 300 pts than shadowblade will ever be imo
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Shadowblade doesn't have Rune of Khaine for fluff reasons.
And he had more attacks to offset this.. now it's just silly.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cadeyrn
Shade

Post by Cadeyrn »

I tried shadowblade against dwarves and was very disapointed.

Ultimately, he has only 4 attacks, which is his biggest downfall. I also hate the rule that if you don't reveal him on turn 1, you basically have to announce to your opponent that your using him, then roll I die to see if he gets caught.

His "kit" has lots of stuff that doesn't always work well together, or against your current enemy. Too bad they didn't just give him an equipment allowance, so you could at least customize his toxins.
Monkeylord
Assassin

Post by Monkeylord »

Yup. Shadowblade's only boon, really, is his special deployment. Otherwise, you can put together a far more deadly combo yourself for a little more than half the points. Am I willing to pay 140 points for "cool factor" ?

Not really. Against 99.9% of opponents, WS9 is just as effective as WS10. Granted, it means WS4 opponents are hitting you on 4s instead of 5s, but I think it's reasonable to say that if your opponents are still alive to attack after your first round of attacks, then your assassin hasn't done his job, and is probably going to die anyway.
Gorenut
Executioner

Post by Gorenut »

The only time I can see him as worth the risk is perhaps vs a VC general. If you can try to take him out first turn, it'll make the rest of the game much easier for you from then on.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You can tool an assassin with Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death and Cloak of Twilight, and if your magic is strong enough do a 1st turn charge anyway for half the points.
Sure it also requires you to have magic heavy army but the magic isn't there only for the assassin.
7th edition army book:

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

A friend of mine was at the Las Vegas GT last month as a Dark Elf facing off in the first heat against another Dark Elf. My friend finished deploying his army - three units of Cold One Knights, three units of Dark Riders, and a dragon. His opponent looked at it all and said 'you have no infantry?" He looked very sour and later Shadowblade had to appear in one of his own units.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

other thing is... if enemy has no infantry the shadowblade gets pretty useless.
7th edition army book:

Rising son
Cold One Knight

Post by Rising son »

@phierlihy: That's hilarious! Your friend's opponent must have been well annoyed.
"I can't believe you think I'm a liar. Sure I make random stuff up, but I'm not a liar."
Damnedscorpio
Shade

Post by Damnedscorpio »

I also have minimal infantry. my only infantry units are a unit of shades and a unit of crossbowmen. i would have a lot of fun with this. one question though he will break if beaten by combat resilution right?
new dark elves have been great to me prepare for the cold one charge