84%
Extra Executioner
16%

Total votes: 38

Kensou
Black Guard

Extra Executioner or a Draich-master?

Post by Kensou »

I'm pretty sure this hasn't been discussed yet. If you take a small unit of Executioners (IE. 5-10), would it be better to take an extra executioner or a draich-master, considering they are equally expensive.
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

The drach master will always be better, the extra attack makes a huge difference.

They should also have a musician IMO.

There is a good topic on how to use executioners here: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=57769
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Most of our units (which have the option of buying a musician) should always take a musician.

I'd take Draich Master because the extra executioner may not get a chance of getting his attack in. Maybe because he is in the second rank, not in base contact with an enemy base etc.

While Draich Master will always get his two attacks in, plus the unit now has a champion! Sweet! Every unit is better with champions!
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Schlorgadorb
Warrior

Post by Schlorgadorb »

That being said, there are definitive reasons not to take a champion. Basically, I'd say if you're fighting against Brettonians, or anyone with a vulnerable character, don't take a champion. Because if they challenge, you won't want to accept, and then your champion is in the back. But in just about every other case, its better to have the champion.
My record for New Dark Elves: (15/0/10)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

On the other hand, having a champion can be very important in order to ensure that when charged by a nasty enemy charcter in a relatively innocuous enemy unit, the character doesn't have the opportunity to wipe out your entire front rank, preventing your models from fighting back. In that situation, it is normally better to issue a challenge with your champion, let your chapion go down, and then get some attacks back with your rank-and-file on the enemy.
Truly These are the End Times ...
King porky
Shade

Post by King porky »

But if you look at it like that all it takes is a bad roll from and a lucky 6 and there is a dead hero, i done it against a big boss (i think) the look is priceless
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Goblin stalker
Warrior

Post by Goblin stalker »

I always take the champion, either they put too many attacks into him (remember these excess wounds don't count towards combat res or carry over), they challenge (in which case I have a decent chance of surviving/winning against weak enemies and save alot of wounds for the unit against uber characters) or I get to wip out some hurt on my charge. Sometimes he just dies, and turns out to be a waste of 12pts, but I don't lose any more combat power than I would have if he had been an extra model (unless playing a single line)
Empty mind
tormented mind
whiplash from my thoughts
the crowded vacancy explodes
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

my draich master killed one of my regular opponent's tomb prince every single battle we played (4)... i would be mad to leave him out! i would take the champion for the following reasons: you can challenge and accept them and you have 1 more attack in the front rank (with hatred and S6 that's almost a kill).
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

And Killing Blow. The Draich Master is probably the best champion we have. All our Special unit champions are fairly evil, of course, but our DM's the nastiest. The others can all get KB of course, but they have to spend to get it, and there are better things those points could be spent on.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

The extra elf. Executioners drop like flies and the extra man could be the difference between a panic test or not. Also, with a small unit of exies, you should be planning on hitting flanks so you need the extra guys to make sure you break ranks. This is far more important than an extra attack to the outcome of the combat.
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

As Dyvim said. But there are other reasons over the challenge in my opinion. The champion always stays there and to be killed you need to directly attack him. Many people do not divide their attacks and so the Draich master can kill something important even if charged. Then if you want a maneuverable unit (for this the choice of so few exes I think) it could be better having something that save some space, so in this case the Dm become as 2 men occupying the room of one.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.