Fear transmission

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Kirkrapine
Trainee Warrior

Fear transmission

Post by Kirkrapine »

I know if a model with terror joins a unit, you get to add the unit's US for the purposes of determining whether or not the unit auto breaks from a lost combat. Does that apply to fear, too? Can I stick a hero on a Cold one and slip him into a unit of Black Guard and watch the fun?
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

No... It doesn't work that way at all, unfortunately :) Even if they did outnumber, your fear causing units strenght would still be 2 and thus, they would hardly autobreak anything.

Nice idea, though. Even if a bit overpowered :D
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Desert icon
Assassin

Re: Fear transmission

Post by Desert icon »

Kirkrapine wrote:I know if a model with terror joins a unit, you get to add the unit's US for the purposes of determining whether or not the unit auto breaks from a lost combat. Does that apply to fear, too? Can I stick a hero on a Cold one and slip him into a unit of Black Guard and watch the fun?

Not quite, although your enthusiasm is commendable!

You still need to have a higher Fear-causing unit strength than that of the opponent's units to cause any sorts of shenanigans to transpire.

So, for your unit of Black Guard to auto-break anything, you'd have to have a lot more than just one lonely hero on a Cold One, unless of course you manage to do enough damage to reduce the enemy unit to unit strength 1.

It should be clearly stated in the army book, under the section that describes Fear and Terror.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Fear transmission

Post by Silverheimdall »

Kirkrapine wrote:I know if a model with terror joins a unit, you get to add the unit's US for the purposes of determining whether or not the unit auto breaks from a lost combat. Does that apply to fear, too? Can I stick a hero on a Cold one and slip him into a unit of Black Guard and watch the fun?

A hero that causes Terror and joins a unit of infantry (for exemple) will do the following:

-Cause terror 6" from where he is positioned, not from the unit but from his own model
-Force the enemies who are susceptible to psychology to take a Terror (or Fear) test if the Hero charges or is charged and is found to be in combat after the charge is complete
-Give his entire unit Immunity to Fear and Terror until death of said character.

For Break Tests, he counts as US1 on foot/2 on mount/4+ on monstrous mounts.
So if you outnumber your opponent but only your hero causes Terror, then the enemy does not automatically test for Insane Courage.

And this is the same for Fear.