Using the armour of living death?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Endra divini
Shade

Using the armour of living death?

Post by Endra divini »

I really like this item but I cannot see much point when you can just give your dread the regen armour instead. On the other hand in games 3000pt+ when i want to take 2 dreadlords it might be more useful since I can't take the regen armour again so I've wrote down a couple of setups and can you tell me what you think of them.

1. Dreadlord (In Cold One knights)
-Armour of Living Death
-Crimson Death
-SDC
-Cold One
-Shield
-Hull Talisman

: Cold One gives stupidity anyway so the small side affect is cut out.
: He is hatred, str 6, T 4, W 4 with a 0+ armour save and MR 1.

2. Dreadlord
-Armour of living Death
-Flying Mount
-Lifetaker
-lance
-SDC
-Shield

:To make him last longer and to take out all the weaker units (Ie. Mages, Crew, Fast cav etc.

cheers.
Endra the corrupted

WS 6
S 3
T 3
D 4
I 4

Image: Tall and Lean.
His black armour leaks with a searing dark due.
And over his back is a cloak of which speaks to him of his past for he himself had long since forgotten it.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Just to clear this up, there is no 0 on a scale, which means your character would effectively have a -1 Armor save against ranged attacks. This is a common mistake but creates a little confusion.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Dagger of assassination
Corsair

Post by Dagger of assassination »

The 1 dreadlord is pretty good. But the 2 dreadlord is not so good because if you want something similiar take just master on dark pegasus that is also cheaper and can do same things.
Through Hatred All Things Are Possible!
kynthuithalkein!
3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

izirath wrote:Just to clear this up, there is no 0 on a scale, which means your character would effectively have a -1 Armor save against ranged attacks. This is a common mistake but creates a little confusion.

Well, Games Workshop talks about Tyrion having a 0+ save in their errata/FAQ so I'll have to assume that there is a "0" on this scale. So his character would actually have a 0+ save against shooting attacks and a 1+ save against close combat attacks.

Armor of Living Death is nice, but personally I don't find it that cost-effective for what it does. Both times I've used it though (on a Dragonlord), I've rolled that 1 and suffered from the effects of Stupidity, so maybe I'm just a little biased against it!

If I had to choose though, I'd probably choose the first one and toss him in a unit of Cold One Knights. I have to agree with Dagger, you can just get a Master on a Pegasus to do Dreadlord #2's job a lot cheaper. And if he's warmachine hunting, I'm not so sure that giving him expensive, fancy armor is really a good idea.

Sure, the extra wound means he won't be auto-killed by that bolt thrower or dwarf cannon he's about to destroy, but most warmachines will need 2+ to wound anyway so the extra Toughness is wasted. I'd personally toss him on a Dragon and watch people cringe as a quasi-Malekith runs around making people crispy.