The evolution of the Dark Elves army

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Venkh wrote:If you want a real laugh check out the pathetic stats of the repeater bolt thrower. Probably the least effective war machine ever devised.

But let's be fair, the 4th/5th ed version was nasty. 4 S4 shots that ignore saves and penetrate ranks? Oh, go on then...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

Agreed the 4th/5th ed version was horrible. Shame i never got to use it!

The other thing to note is that even though they were rubbish, the RBT was created for the DE and copied shamelessly for the HE later.

I think we might have had a chariot first, I am pretty certain that i owned 2 of the original Cold one chariots before the wood elf version came out (the one that came with an entourage of characters).
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

Venkh wrote:There was a supplement called ravening hordes in 2nd ed that had lists for all armies. Sadly i dont own a copy.

I do have a complete set of 2nd ed rules

Wow! Did I ever spend time going through the hordes as a kid :D Still have the book and rules stashed away somewhere, in near mint condition too.

I think the now defunct Marauder company made the first army set for DE. I could be wrong, but I'll happily stand corrected if someone has a longer memory than me. I never could afford that set as a kid, lovely as it was :(
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I loved that book too, great cover illustration with the Orc battle line stretching into the distance. I might get one off e-bay if i can find one.

Marauder did do an army set for dark elves in metal. I never bought it but there were some nice models. Marauder were Trish and Ali Morrisson. They were absorbed back into Citadel at some point, not sure exacty when.

The fist boxed set that I owned were the original mengil manhides manflayers. I think you got 12 models in all. Mengil, a champ, a muso and a standard bearer. I seem to remember getting some witches in that set as well.
Scaythe
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Scaythe »

I have the standard bearer and musician for that old Manhides box somewhere around here still :) I've a vast array of dark elf models from way back then, keep meaning to get the power spray out, strip the paint off them, and see how many seem salvagable to use with the current crop of dark elves. I can think of a few of the old ones that might make servicable Shades and assassins.

I do rather mourn the loss of dark elf beastmasters with hounds... rather like the beastmasters and the inability to use them in a small warband with something cheaper than a hydra kind of bugs me.