'Ard Boyz semis

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

'Ard Boyz semis

Post by Tigtoad »

I have advanced to the Semi Finals of 'Ard boyz. Unfortunately, I borrowed my friends demons to do it. I really don't enjoy playing the demons and the list I ran to move on has a lot of glaring weaknesses that could have been exploited if my match ups were a bit different.

I am hoping to get back to my Druchii for the next round. Is there a general consensus for what type of list would work best? I saw two posted in the army thread, one an assassin/missle heavy and one a cold one heavy.

I took second in our heat, the top spot was a two-dragon dark elf list with a cold one death star unit. (hero with battle banner, hero with 3 null stones and ring of hotek). The dragons hunt within 12 of the bunker until the whole thing charged out. Risky with only 2 dispell dice, but it worked for him.

Any thoughts, I've had a hard time with this one.
Nemesis1020
Warrior

Post by Nemesis1020 »

Here is the list I am using:

Lord(s) (3#, 809 Pts)

Dreadlord @ 535 Pts
Black Dragon
Crimson Death
Armor of Darkness
Ring of Hotek

Dreadlord @ 274 Pts
General; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield;
Cold One
Deathpiercer
Armor of Eternal Servitude
Pendant of Khaeleth

Hero(s) (6#, 564 Pts)

1 Death Hag @ 200 Pts
Cauldron of Blood

1 Master (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 214 Pts
Lance; Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer;
Cold One
Hydra Banner

1 Sorceress @ 150 Pts
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

Core Unit(s) (40#, 544 Pts)
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen @ 100 Pts
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen @ 100 Pts
5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts
Musician Mus; Repeater Crossbow;
5 Dark Riders @ 117 Pts
Musician Mus; Repeater Crossbow;
5 Harpies @ 55 Pts
5 Harpies @ 55 Pts

Special Unit(s) (15#, 505 Pts)

4 Cold One Knights @ 225 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std;
Dread Knight
Null Talisman
Standard of Slaughter

4 Cold One Knights @ 190 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std;
Dread Knight
Null Talisman
5 Cold One @ [0] Pts
Thick-skinned; Causes Fear; Stupid

5 Shades @ 90 Pts
Great Weapon;

Rare Unit(s) (15#, 575 Pts)
1 Reaper Bolt Thrower @ 100 Pts
1 War Hydra @ 175 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 2997
Altmer
Slave on the Altar

Post by Altmer »

have you thought about a Twin Dragonlord, Triple Hydra list? I've yet to see a nastier build than that. Fill it out with Dark riders, a big Cold one Knight unit with Hydra BSB and unit of shades with assassins.
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

I like the list you posted... it is a bit different. I had a lot of problems with the DE player in the first round that had 3 nullstones on a hero and the ring of hotek with a magic heavy demon list.

But.. can you have nullstones on both champions?

--

with the 3 hydra list... how do you deal with a bloodthirster and keeper list? Thet wo greater demons will slaughter your dragons, especially if they take some of the leadership handicappers.

I looked at a 6 bolt thrower list as well.. to take out greater demons.
Gethsemane
Executioner

Post by Gethsemane »

TigToad wrote:But.. can you have nullstones on both champions?

Yes. Null Talismans can be taken by any number of things throughout your army, however if two such things are in the same unit only the highest MR applies.

with the 3 hydra list... how do you deal with a bloodthirster and keeper list? Thet wo greater demons will slaughter your dragons, especially if they take some of the leadership handicappers.

5 monsters vs. 2... I know the Keeper can pull one of the Dragons but even so...

nemesis' list is pretty well made... the only thing I'm unsure about is the Cauldron. Sure it can be combined with the Hydra Banner for a super nasty COK charge, but is it really necessary or is it just because you can?
aka DarkTyrany22

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.
Nemesis1020
Warrior

Post by Nemesis1020 »

@Gethsemane's comment: "the only thing I'm unsure about is the Cauldron. Sure it can be combined with the Hydra Banner for a super nasty COK charge, but is it really necessary or is it just because you can?"

This is a good question! Being that this will be my first experience playing outside of my group of friends and store, I am really unsure if it is needed against most players. In my group, I face multiple demon players each having a nurgle bunker with the -2 leadership banner, Dwarven Hammerer units surrounding the Anvil of Doom, Temple Guard units with Lord Kroak surrounded by two stegadons with engine of the gods, and a very heavy shooting wood elf player. Because Im an aggressive player, I use the cauldron to really beef up my knight unit to slam into these bunkers/deathstars and come as close to killing them as possible.

So, basically, it is in my list because I am used to taking it to help with bunkers and deathstars. What are your thoughts? Do you think it is needed? Do the things I mention exist in almost every gaming group? Im definitely open to some suggestions!

Also, I have used a "monster" list in my group (dragon + manticore + two hydras in 2250s) and I find it great against some armies, but really lacking when Im facing greater demons. Bloodthirsters with str7 flaming attacks and Great Unclean Ones with autowounding D6 weapons shred these beasts the second they get tied up on a unit. And when you are facing nurgle bunkers and two units of Beats of Nurgle, it is bound to happen somewhere. I just prefer the bolt throwers and the SCR against a Greater Demon my COK deathstar provides.
Stonecutter
Noble

Post by Stonecutter »

I like the list and think it has great flexibility. The CoB is quite useful not just for attack but for defence. The 5+ ward on a hydra with a BSB and general nearby can hold up anything including a BT for a couple rounds. It also really makes the dragon more survivable. I know how much I hate the DoC 5+ ward and throwing it on a tough druchii choice is only fair payback IMHO :lol:
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

I appreciate the discussion.

I think I'm agreeing that the cauldron is good for defense as well as offense. I don't think I want to go with cold one knights... too many years of playing Orcs and having animosity fail me when I need to move. (IE stupidity on a key unit)

This is the list I'm debating now... I'm still worried about 2 Greater demon lists.. though nurgle bunkers worry me less with the hydra breath attacks and maneuverability.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63303
Nemesis1020
Warrior

Post by Nemesis1020 »

Stonecutter wrote:I like the list and think it has great flexibility. The CoB is quite useful not just for attack but for defence. The 5+ ward on a hydra with a BSB and general nearby can hold up anything including a BT for a couple rounds. It also really makes the dragon more survivable. I know how much I hate the DoC 5+ ward and throwing it on a tough druchii choice is only fair payback IMHO :lol:

I don't think the Cauldron of Blood's blessings affect mounts (i.e. Dragons).
Stonecutter
Noble

Post by Stonecutter »

nemesis1020 wrote:I don't think the Cauldron of Blood's blessings affect mounts (i.e. Dragons).

Right you are, my mistake :oops:
Duke of swords
Black Guard

Post by Duke of swords »

I would think fitting in twin maimbane/star assassins would aide imensely v greater demons. Won't kill them but can sure knock them down a peg... Not to mention other general usefulness.
Duke of swords
Black Guard

Post by Duke of swords »

Looking at your list a little more closely now. Seems to me units of 4 knights with charaters in them are to many fragile points. Your CO heros will get munched.

Either shave some points somewhere to make them units of 5-6 or combine them to one uberunit with two characters. One unit of 8 saves you points on null and you can have SHG beside the hydra banner making a unit that can survive moderate shooting, recieve a moderate charge, wreck HE day, and suicide into a VC deathstar to take out key characters.

I think 4 bolt-throwers will creat deployment issues, especially combined with your crossbows and since you'll be rushing to engagements may have trouble finding good targets. I think you'd have better luck with 2 throwers and 2 hydras. Gives you better control of movement phase.
Duke of swords
Black Guard

Post by Duke of swords »

I like the changes.
Tigtoad
Hydra Lord

Post by Tigtoad »

My final list ended up being a bit different than the one I linked to. Thanks for the advice folks, I ended up advancing. Now to see if I can go to Chicago.
Nemesis1020
Warrior

Post by Nemesis1020 »

I took second at the O'Fallon IL location with the list I posted above. I will see you in Chicago TigToad.