Help choosing between 2 units.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Blaqkheart
Warrior

Help choosing between 2 units.

Post by Blaqkheart »

Alright, so I am debating on dropping two shades and my assassin to bring in 5 CoKs without a dread knight. Which would be more useful and be worth their points? I am just wondering,
because I love the CoK model and want to use them.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

It really depends on your list. Although, with the new rules assassins are a bit too squishy for my taste (there's just too many attacks back for a T3 model with 2 wounds and no real save to feel safe). If you just replace the assassin, I'd say for for it. 5 heavy cavalry will still be useful for certain tasks, particularly getting the flanking bonus and adding some extra wounds to break the enemy more quickly. If they're the only cavalry in your army, though, they'll rather quickly be dead and a bit of a waste of points.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

Post by Svarthofthi »

Knights will go further, I'd say. Like Mr. Anderson said, assassins have gotten squishier.
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

As said, their job is very different.
Assassins are here to kill the BSB by surprise. They will probably die in the process. So that is a very high investment (151pts to be effective) just to kill a BSB who costs less... but who's influence is tremendous.

COK are there to hunt light flankers and to participate into the bloodbath with a side charge.

Determine what you need most and you'll get your answer.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

It depends what your list aswell as your playstyle looks like. I think that now with the new edition My assassins will probably get to spend a game or two on the shelf. Do love the little nasties though.
If you have something in your army that could need the support by a character that does not chew up character points and can be a nasty surprice if your enemy does not expect it the assassin is the better option.

CoK's are generally a good investment. One way or another they will reward you for bringing them along. Keep it a cheap unit though.

Either way always make sure to place an extra assassin next to your army book when you play a game. It keeps the opponent wondering.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Blaqkheart
Warrior

Post by Blaqkheart »

Lol, I will keep an assassin at all times near me on a table, even if not using him. In the past couple of games I have played he hasnt done much. The shades he is apart of seems to get shot down before they can make it to where I want them to, or they engage in close combat and the squishyness kicks into effect. I guess I will invest into the 5 CoK though. Thanks!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Lol, I will keep an assassin at all times near me on a table, even if not using him.

An extension of the 'turn up to every game and bring a dragon with you....put it on the edge of the table while your opponent writes his list and then put it back in the box just before you begin to deploy' strategem. Who said that tactics only apply to the game itself? :P
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Blaqkheart
Warrior

Post by Blaqkheart »

I love mind games!
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

it was actually a pretty commonly used tactic by alot of DE players back when we still had the 6th ed book. When the 7th ed book came out all the tactical stuff vanished and the ''Tactics'' forum became a ASF BG discussion board.
Alot of very good tactics that were perfectly viable in 7th and now in 8th was commonplace back then but now you can only find them if you go back and read posts that are over 2 years old.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

My Manbane/Rending Star Assassin has performed well every game, and his fragility isn't a problem if you pick the rights targets for his unit. Being able to deploy close to a monster or warmachine on Turn 1, March the assassin and shades to an advantageous position, let loose with shooting, and either continue to shoot or even charge in Turn 2 is very effective. Worst case, you can march away at top speed, still firing off crossbows bolts and rending stars. Excellent.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Hmmm...an Assassin as a WM hunter wouldn't be too bad, or even a gunline hunter on the flanks. You're not restricted to where Skirmishers can deploy due to LoS issues like in 7th ed. So long as you're 12" away from any enemy unit. I might try an Assassin for that, and that task alone. But frontline killer? No way. I'd rather invest in units of 5 WE or 5 AHW Shades and have them KB the enemy BSB at a cheaper cost. Five WE costs 50pts, 3+2 formation, that's 11attacks, sure some may be wasted on poisoned, but meh, it's still more attacks than what an Assassin will ever get. You can fail twice and still throw a third unit of five WE in and it'd still be 5pts cheaper than your single one use Assassin. If you fail to KB by the third attempt then life just deems you're not dirty enough yet for such a cheap (literally!) ploy or something lol.

I'll have to have a read of the two year old stuff then. I avoided them because they're outdated builds and lists, especially now that 8th ed rules is out too. But if the tactics and theories are still applicable to 8th ed rules to some extent then I'll check them out.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued