Large Cold one Knight units... why?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ace073
Corsair

Large Cold one Knight units... why?

Post by Ace073 »

Hey guys... been casually reading the army list section due to boredom at work, and I think I am seeing altogether too much cold one knight spam.

As a hammer, a small unit works wonders, I agree. And yes, Hydra banner is pretty cool. But 10 or higher knights? They are on wider bases than regular infantry, so even front on vs a horde (which seems like a stupid way to throw away all of your knights, considering people generally dont bother hording units with low strength) you shouldnt get all your knights into combat. It wont break steadfast, (and seeing how you spent like... half your troop points on a knight deathstar, dont be expecting any backup from elites.

On top of that, to keep the bus from being redirected into oblivion, you need to spend a good portion of your core points on Riders or rxbs to clear chaff before your bus trundles through.

I know some guy used this in an ETC event and did really well with it. ETC is basically a different game though.. in those rules people cant have more than 40? i think 40, models in a unit. So yeah, COK's can wipe out most of a 40 man strong unit in a turn, or at least enough to not worry about return attacks overly, and probably grind them out in another turn.

But if not in etc... you just try facing a goblin army or even marauder heavy army. Oh look, twelve ranks. Thin front, so you only get 5 knights able to attack.

Now, I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert, and if there are reasons to take such a big unit (apart from the 'so he can kill half of them and theyl still be usefulish' one, because that is a terrible waste of points, seriously. Let me know why this works for you, if you have experience fielding it. Note that i really do mean 10 or more, I can see eight or so being around the right size if you really want to include a hydra bsb.
If all else fails, throw Hydras at it. When the dust clears, they'l be curled up snoozing peacefully on a mountain of corpses.