Where did everyone go?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rasputinii
M-A-D

Where did everyone go?

Post by Rasputinii »

Okay so I've been away a long time. Gosh, must be about 6 years since I regularly posted on here. Maybe even 7 years. 7th edition hadn't been out long I remember that much.

I've noticed that there isn't that much activity on the site these days. Threads can be weeks and weeks old and still be half way up the first page.

What happened to the Druchii.net I remember, that was pushing boundaries daily and was the envy of all other forums? Warhammer-empire seems to be the most active place I've come accross. Where are all the great players discussing things these days?
Pleased to be back
leesmith
Trainee Warrior

Re: Where did everyone go?

Post by leesmith »

No idea, I am new here so hi!

Maybe it has something to do with the last armybook being what, 2008 I believe? just speculating of course :?

lee
Fallenturtle
Shade

Post by Fallenturtle »

I think everyone's waiting patiently for our new book coming in a few weeks...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi back, Rasput. Here I am, someone who recalls your name! :)
Many old timers have quit D.net when the new army book, along with the old rulebook, made DE a top tier army, after being so long the underdog army.
You can understand that the spirit brought to D.net thanks to the previous army book had faded away.
I was stunned when even DA almost ceased to post.
From that time, remains Rork (not seen very often, less active on the chat than he used to be, but he took the lead for the transformation of D.net to present look).
Dyvim Tvar is probably one of the most active old timers.
Some have quit and come back, as you do. I'm very happy to see Lion back in the P&M forum.
Real life has taken its toll on some active posters, who will come back sooner or later.

As there is a new army book anticipated next month, we could expect many newcomers, both for the beautiful models we will get, and for the new army book leading to new tactics.
I hope that it will also incite old timers to have a fresh look.
But I expect also newcomers to raise and take charge! :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

*waves* I'm still here
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Urian tarkand
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Urian tarkand »

*waves* I'm still here
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I think you're seeing the result of 'been there, done that' syndrome. Our book is getting old and 8th edition is old. We've pretty much discussed everything to death. People still ask questions like 'I'm thinking of starting a dark elf army, what should I collect?' and whatnot but the fun issues of unit X vs unit Y are pretty much done. Instead our topics are more 'does anyone use <insert unit name> anymore?' which isn't terribly exciting.

There's a little more excitment brewing lately now that both 9th edition is rumored to be coming and a new army book for us is around the corner but that's about all.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Faustus5000
Warrior

Post by Faustus5000 »

I think you're seeing the result of 'been there, done that' syndrome. Our book is getting old and 8th edition is old. We've pretty much discussed everything to death. People still ask questions like 'I'm thinking of starting a dark elf army, what should I collect?' and whatnot but the fun issues of unit X vs unit Y are pretty much done. Instead our topics are more 'does anyone use <insert unit name> anymore?' which isn't terribly exciting.

There's a little more excitment brewing lately now that both 9th edition is rumored to be coming and a new army book for us is around the corner but that's about all.

I agree with this statement, it's hard for me to muster excitement with our current book when we have a new one just around the corner. I'm crazy excited about the possibilities that are upcoming and I suspect your going to see a flurry of posts and activity in October.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Yeah, I'm still around (in the chat for the same amount of time as always...). I just don't play as much WH as I'd like...and with army books being so expensive, I can't even keep on top of what each army is doing any more (So if someone mentions some item or another I'm left sitting there thinking..."Err, OK. What?").

I tend to agree with the others that DE have been sucked dry of ideas due to the age of the book - there are only so many ideas that people can come up with in a 5 year period. And the last great innovation was probably "How I can blitz the opponent with Shadow magic."

Things are picking up here, though. Before the site upgrade things were slower and not helped by the instability of the site. We're on the up, but it will take time and a new book will bump it up further (especially as there will be no technical issues to deter new people!).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Rickie_82
Executioner

Post by Rickie_82 »

I'm pretty much back for the 2'nd time myself. Was thinking of going drucchi again in the late 7'th and popped up here. Learned that DE was op and went with something else instead. New book now and some nice none GW minis has drawn me back and rumor is that GW will have better figs to offer also next month.

Only dude I recognise is Lion of Flanders, I think he was the one I used to pester about how to paint ^^
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Phierlihy wrote:We've pretty much discussed everything to death.
Still, there have been quite a few nice initiative lately:
Extraordinary Gentlemen, trying to play without the unkillable dreadlord.
Revival of Execs, against lots of skepticals.
Revival of assassins, despite high doubts - to have even 4 'sass in an army.
Revival of MSU seems to be the latest fashion.

Overall, there are here a good number of fine generals, willing to get off the beaten track - no matter how long the track has been beaten.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Calisson wrote:
Overall, there are here a good number of fine generals, willing to get off the beaten track - no matter how long the track has been beaten.

Let us take the equine path :badh: .

;)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Urian tarkand wrote:*waves* I'm still here

Best 2nd post I've ever seen !lol!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

He certainly saved that for a rainy day! !lol! Bravo.

Old heads will not doubt crawl out of the woodwork soon. I really hope there's no snobbery, or fashionable Bandwagon hating. :evil:
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Darkmark wrote:He certainly saved that for a rainy day! !lol! Bravo.

Old heads will not doubt crawl out of the woodwork soon. I really hope there's no snobbery, or fashionable Bandwagon hating. :evil:
Been here since early 6th ed and I haven't really seen much evidence of that.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I've been thinking of getting back into fantasy and digging out my old models again

I guess a really powerful book requires less discussion than a weak one
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I'm still here as well ;)
Ragian Cain
Highborn

Post by Ragian Cain »

Ah, Rasputinii! Haven't seen that name for a while. I am still hanging around the place...
Aver
Slave on the Altar

Post by Aver »

I'm new here... so - nice to meet you :)
Greatness is earned by deeds, not bestowed by others
Morathi, the Hag Sorceress
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

I'm back after a few years of playing other armies.. and it looks like I just painted up 100 spearmen to see them replaced with new models, assuming rumors to be true.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Spearmen are terrible anyway. Assuming rumors are true, Swordsmen will be the new core infantry of choice, and those deserve new models :D
I guess my 30 spearmen will be retired until spears get useful rules.
7th edition army book:

Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

Welcome back Rasputinii. I'm a new member so can't recall former conversations or forum posts in regards to this site. However, within the next few weeks a new army book and new model releases offers a great opportunity for new friendships online. Glad to have you back.
Fallenturtle
Shade

Post by Fallenturtle »

Dalamar wrote:Spearmen are terrible anyway. Assuming rumors are true, Swordsmen will be the new core infantry of choice, and those deserve new models :D
I guess my 30 spearmen will be retired until spears get useful rules.

For me it will be a PPM(points per model) issue. I already have 50 some odd spearmen with shields painted up so I'll be using that. It will depend on the swordmen's points and rules. If they are cheaper than the spearmen, then I'll be getting several new warriors
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

There's only one way they won't be cheaper (because spears cost premium). That is if the rumored swordsmen can wear heavy armor. But my oh my what a great core would that be.
7th edition army book:

Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Perhaps we have all been waiting for you!

I have recently returned to the site after a long spell away from the hobby. Volume is low at the moment, but the site seems to be as nicely maintained and friendly as usual.

Our timing seems good, as evidently an update for the DE army is soon approaching....a fact which took me happily by surprise when I decided to get back to doing some painting and sculpting again.

****cranky old guy alert****

....although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current Chris Fitzpatrick witch elves. They are f'in perfect in every way. Vestals be damned.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?