New DE armybook RULES RUMOURS

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Scyloc
Noble

Re: New DE armybook RULES RUMOURS

Post by Scyloc »

Jossy wrote:
Scyloc wrote:Jossy, can you confirm that Masters and Dreadlords can still take a Dark Pegasus as mount? 25 slaves still?

And most importantly, can they still take a Sea Dragon Cloak as mundane equipment?

If you have the time, can you tell us about the Bloodwrack Throne and Medusa?

Yes the can both take Pegasus
Yes its fiddy point
yes they can take Dragon Cloaks
Bloodwrack throne seams pretty average
Medusa looks fun, but probably wont be in competitive builds

The fact that Masters and Dreadlords can still take Sea Dragon Cloaks is great news! It means we can build 1+ as Pegasus riders with mundane equipment, or 1+ as Greatweapon/Halberd+Dragonhelm Pegasus riders.
Vurath
Slave on the Altar

Post by Vurath »

Yeah, the Dark Elves have easy, and cheap access to good armour saves especially on foot. Something the High Elves can only dream off.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Vurath wrote:Yeah, the Dark Elves have easy, and cheap access to good armour saves especially on foot. Something the High Elves can only dream off.

Agreed! A much needed boon indeed :)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Setomidor wrote:
Vurath wrote:Yeah, the Dark Elves have easy, and cheap access to good armour saves especially on foot. Something the High Elves can only dream off.

Agreed! A much needed boon indeed :)

And the High Elves have easy, and cheap access to Ward saves (Banner of the World Dragon, Merwyrm Shield, Lore Attribute) so I think it evens out.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Our monsters are still deadly mainly because we can field so many of them. 3 hydras, 2 k-beasts, dragon and at least one manticore should all fit in a 2400 list.

I will definitely play max monsters a couple times though I don't fhink it will be super competitive due to lack of fortitude and other important scenario dependent stuff (also ld 6 hurts)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Vurath
Slave on the Altar

Post by Vurath »

I actually really like both High Elves, and the Dark Elves, and they are two of main armies. Whilst it's good about the armour saves for Dark Elf characters, it is unfair to the High Elves who only get that stupid Lion cloak which only protects against shooting, and while dragon armour is good, it only comes into play rarely, and is just heavy armour most of the time. And they can't combined, and the sea dragon can be. So unfair...,
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

So let me get this strait: We get no magic armor, or at least no confirmed rumor of it.

Harpies are overpriced, and no rumors out to confirm if or not that is with upgrades like storm of magic or not, or that's their base cost naked.

And we don't get monster and handle right at this moment, if ever.

How is this an improvement from the last book?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Urm, have you seen the new units? ASF army wide?
Malikos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malikos »

What kind of protection does the hag get on the CoB?

thanks!
PoisonedBlade
Trainee Warrior

Post by PoisonedBlade »

Saintofm wrote:So let me get this strait: We get no magic armor, or at least no confirmed rumor of it.

Harpies are overpriced, and no rumors out to confirm if or not that is with upgrades like storm of magic or not, or that's their base cost naked.

So you picked the few things that are bad and completely ignored all the cool new stuff we just got? cup half full man, HALF FULL lol

I also think looking at the books as an improvement is wrong. 8th edition has been about balancing, not making armies better
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Saintofm wrote:So let me get this strait: We get no magic armor, or at least no confirmed rumor of it.

Not only the armor. There are alot cool items gone. The STr6 Blade, the KB lance, The Chain, Seal of Grond, the Hag Greaf items and so on.

Harpies got flying thats it.

And the Hydra also lost thier Regeneration. So Cannons and Catapults will be happy :)

The Shrine seems to be kinda useless. I dont think it will be played alot. The medusa can be played as a single monster Infantry.. with Ld 2... O.o ah well and no protection. (Fear the 10 Archers over there!!)
The CoB lost its "buffs" No more +1A no more KB, No more 5+ Save at range. Still makes a +5 Save for WE and 6+ for everything else if its inside this unit.

The assassin also lost alot of his cool toys. Bloodfire Poison, the Range weapon of Monster killing.

CoK got a attack more on the Lizards but without the CoB Buff they will have a hard time. Even more since they got more Expensive.

In my opinion its a nerf. Not Tombking like but i think it will be harder now.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Askador wrote:

Not only the armor. There are alot cool items gone. The STr6 Blade, the KB lance, The Chain, Seal of Grond, the Hag Greaf items and so on.

Harpies got flying thats it.

And the Hydra also lost thier Regeneration. So Cannons and Catapults will be happy :)

The Shrine seems to be kinda useless. I dont think it will be played alot. The medusa can be played as a single monster Infantry.. with Ld 2... O.o ah well and no protection. (Fear the 10 Archers over there!!)
The CoB lost its "buffs" No more +1A no more KB, No more 5+ Save at range. Still makes a +5 Save for WE and 6+ for everything else if its inside this unit.

The assassin also lost alot of his cool toys. Bloodfire Poison, the Range weapon of Monster killing.

CoK got a attack more on the Lizards but without the CoB Buff they will have a hard time. Even more since they got more Expensive.

In my opinion its a nerf. Not Tombking like but i think it will be harder now.

I have seven minutes before I'm off break and back doing my office job duties, so I will try to keep this as civil as humanly possible, but....

WHAT?

What do you mean we do not get Regeneration on hydras? One D6 wounds from a cannon will make that thing into leather goods for any self respecting dwarf or empire player!

No more Life Taker, no more Seal of Ghround, no more hydra banner, no more focus familiar, no more dark star cloak, and no more Pendent of Kheleth; the usefulness of black guard is in question, and we don't have a slavers rule on corsairs.

At least our magic is decent and we get all 8 main lores now.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Nope, no regeneration on hydras. Now at the end of a turn they regain each wound suffered on 4+.
In other words if they're not burned down fast, it's just a waste of effort because eventually they will get back to full woumds.
Their damage output (except breath weapon) depends on their wounds though.
7th edition army book:

Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

The hydra has to be played smartly now, unlike 7th edition book.

When it comes to competitiveness in tournaments, the new dark elves is a step down. This is a good thing though, because there are mechanics in 7th edition that is too good. I think we have to be much better players to win with the new book, because one mistake can hurt a lot more than before.

I am really excited and happy about the new book, although there are some things that bug me as far as I've seen... Gotta get that damned book soon!
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Fallenturtle
Shade

Post by Fallenturtle »

Dalamar wrote:Nope, no regeneration on hydras. Now at the end of a turn they regain each wound suffered on 4+.
In other words if they're not burned down fast, it's just a waste of effort because eventually they will get back to full woumds.

I actually prefer the new regeneration over the old one. This one doesn't get turned off by flaming wounds, and it forces the urgency of 'kill it in one turn'.

I think all these "doom and gloom" posts are premature, and we're not looking at the bigger picture. If you look at all the hardback books released, they have done one thing, balance the armies out. The old way of playing is dead. we can't rely on the flying unkillable Crutch-lord to deal with our problems any more. From the way it's sounding we'll be on the same level as Warriors, Demons, and high elves in terms of the power level creep. We'll have the tools to deal with anything, make theme lists that are actually viable, and have several different "power lists".
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

We can't really complain about losing magic items every 8th edition book has had a massive reduction in items particularly useful ones.

In many ways we do still have the buffs with the cauldron, it lets you re roll to wound and gain an extra attack. Plus you can now use it offensively .
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

Not sure why you guys calls the book a nerf. It's not a Nerf as much as getting the book back in line with the others...

when i hear people complaining about the fact they can't get a character that can hold a deathstar on his own anymore, i say "normal"

when i hear people complaining about the fact our hydra isnt the mother of all monster anymore, i say "Normal"

when i hea people complain about the loss of alot of our useful item, i say "normal".

Why? Because its own it had to be.

No hero, no matter where he's from, should be able to hold any unit, anytime (well, ok, lets forget about that WoC Atrocity).
No Monster should be auto-include into any list (again, lets forget about WoC). Hydra wasnt just strong, it was underpriced.
We lost item? guess what? EVERY book did in the 8th edition.

I started playing daemon when their last book was released, and i'm happy i did. It's challenging, and if you know about what your army can and can't do, you'll do fine, or even great.

I plan on going all WE, Executioner and monsters. It might not work at first, but once you know what you can and can't do, everything is easier, even beating Nurgle WoC.
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Fallenturtle wrote:
Dalamar wrote:Nope, no regeneration on hydras. Now at the end of a turn they regain each wound suffered on 4+.

I actually prefer the new regeneration over the old one. This one doesn't get turned off by flaming wounds, and it forces the urgency of 'kill it in one turn'.

I think all these "doom and gloom" posts are premature, and we're not looking at the bigger picture. If you look at all the hardback books released, they have done one thing, balance the armies out. The old way of playing is dead. we can't rely on the flying unkillable Crutch-lord to deal with our problems any more. From the way it's sounding we'll be on the same level as Warriors, Demons, and high elves in terms of the power level creep. We'll have the tools to deal with anything, make theme lists that are actually viable, and have several different "power lists".

When you talk about Flying unkillable Commanders to deal with everything .. you talk about the Armor 1+, 3+ Save, 2+ Save against Lore of Metall and Fire with a reroll of 1s, Flying Chaos guys? :)

If Peoples say a Monster with a 4+ Regen is to Hard you talking about the Chimera?

Im confused :)

Jokes aside.. It is a Nerf for Darkelves. It might be balanced and it might be fun to play. But its weaker then before. The Army will be harder to play and harder to win with it.

Hey my main Army is Tombkings so im used to play harder :) And it seems to be still far away of the Khemri Level. But it should be the same Range away from WoC now. So somewhere in the middle. Wich means.. Turney players will not like them anymore i guess.
Harkonnen
Shade

Post by Harkonnen »

Any word on whether sorcs can still fly dark pegasusses? (Not sure if i missed it earlier in the post, but only saw masters and dreadlord?)
I'm assuming so, but it's pretty big, as if you don't want to include sac dagger its probably the best option, especially with that new protective item..

I guess if morathi is still a special char, sorcs should still be able to mount pegasi? :roll:
Jossy
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jossy »

Harkonnen wrote:Any word on whether sorcs can still fly dark pegasusses? (Not sure if i missed it earlier in the post, but only saw masters and dreadlord?)
I'm assuming so, but it's pretty big, as if you don't want to include sac dagger its probably the best option, especially with that new protective item..

I guess if morathi is still a special char, sorcs should still be able to mount pegasi? :roll:

They can
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

ZOMG! I can't just push my army forwards and have it win for me!! ROFL

I honestly have no idea what people are complaining about. I see so many new options, even with the loss of all the old stuff, that my opponents are going to cry super cheeze. Folks here on the boards have given me some great ideas and helped me spark my own imagination of possibilities - keep em coming guys!!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Lack of super cheese means I can actually play Dark Elves again :D
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Based on rumours I can tell you already that you are going to have a finesse army, capable of dealing precise but deadly blows to the enemy. It will not be easy to use, especially when many units are fragile and relatively expensive. But if you are looking for a tactical challenge of winning with the army that consists of specialized troops, then DE is the army for you.

I have never been tempted to start second army since I have started playing Warhammer in the early 4th edition :)
Kzar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kzar »

Any word on the cost and special rules for the King of the Executioner?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have pretty much made my opinion up about the new book. It is as follows and you are free to disagree.

Dark Elves are much, much stronger army now than they were with the previous book.
BUT, They will also be much harder to master.

I love it.
7th edition army book: