New DE armybook RULES RUMOURS

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Re: New DE armybook RULES RUMOURS

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

i dont think we have the Razor Standart anymore Clock. only one i have seen was the Nagaryth one. i do think the Warlock spells were bound spells, aparantly they work the same way as Horrors and those are bound.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

If they are treated the same as Empire priests, then Warlock spells are bound spells, like the COB's frenzy.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

Rumour has it that they are level 2 wizards with +1 to cast for each rank behind the first, so they probably work a lot like the Pink Horrors do.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Searinox Nagharha wrote:i dont think we have the Razor Standart anymore Clock. .

You're thinking of the Banner of Murder; I meant the BRB magic item. 45 points.

I suspect that they'll be bound spells too, as that's the direction GW are moving towards (looking at you, Lizardmen). However, that they are level 2 wizards as well I find interesting (and by interesting, I mean very powerful. It puts Soulblight on a 7, which is easily doable on 2 dice). Some people hate on bound spells, but the fact that you can 1-2 dice them with 0 consequences (other than failing to cast), or happily 6 dice them equally consequence free, really pays off. With the Lizardmen Solar Engine, the disadvantage is that you've only got a 50% chance of getting a good effect, so you're unlikely to risk investing those 6 dice. Not so much Doombolt, which is the Solar Engine 5-6 result, or Soulblight which is, quite frankly, amazing for Dark Elves and probably one of the good reasons to go Death magic.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

aah yes your right, my bad :3
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Clockwork wrote:Oh my god those Sisters of Slaughter. I'm only now just grasping the full implications.
... snip...

Sorry to be the grumpy old man*, but let me add a few more implications:

- They're 7.5 slvs a piece without proper protection. If you go for the AP banner and musician that's something like 215 points for 10(!) Sisters or 365 points for 20!
- They're going to die, horribly, to any kind of shooting, breath attack, or magic.
- They're going to die, even more horribly, to any kind of enemy with a proper armour save.

To sum up, I think they will turn out to be really awesome against units which cannot shoot or magic them off the board, like Beastmen, Orcs and possibly Nurgle Daemons. Against other elves and the lot, however, prepare to have them shot to pieces.

*Who am I kidding, I love it!
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Yeah, ranged attacks will be a problem. I do not mind this as I like all units to have a weakness: in addition, you can shield them from ranged attacks with Corsairs; Harpies, and those 4++ Fast Cav ^^

Edit: Make it 12 with the Razor Standard for 245, plus two units of 5 Warlocks, and we're talking.
Last edited by Clockwork on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgascoine011
Warrior

Post by jgascoine011 »

Does anyone know if the scroungrunner is special or core?

I presume it is special but i have seen the odd rumour of it being core.

Right now my special is pretty much maxed out between executioners, cold one's, bolt throwers (taking 4 now) and hydra's how on earth can i fit in scroungerunners :(
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Scourgerunners are Special.
Unless Sisters are 5+ I don't think I'll ever use them, in small numbers they might be very handy for their special ability as a flanking unit.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Setomidor wrote:
Clockwork wrote:Oh my god those Sisters of Slaughter. I'm only now just grasping the full implications.
... snip...

Sorry to be the grumpy old man*, but let me add a few more implications:

- They're 7.5 slvs a piece without proper protection. If you go for the AP banner and musician that's something like 215 points for 10(!) Sisters or 365 points for 20!
- They're going to die, horribly, to any kind of shooting, breath attack, or magic.
- They're going to die, even more horribly, to any kind of enemy with a proper armour save.

To sum up, I think they will turn out to be really awesome against units which cannot shoot or magic them off the board, like Beastmen, Orcs and possibly Nurgle Daemons. Against other elves and the lot, however, prepare to have them shot to pieces.

You can say the same thing about Witch Elves. Doesn't keep people form taking them or diminish their usefulness. SoS are definitely going to be best as a flanking unit.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
No Saves
Warrior

Post by No Saves »

The only thing which I feel has not been fully explained is what the Bloodwrack Shrine does. So, you can have the Medusa for 90 pts on foot and she gets 4 S4 KB shots (what range?). So far so mediocre. So apparently the Shrine gives +1 ld to DE within 6" and -1 ld to the enemy. So.... is that it? That mirror doesn't improve the Medusa's stare at all? The shrine doesn't do anything else? How much does the Shrine cost?
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Dragon9 wrote:... snip...
You can say the same thing about Witch Elves. Doesn't keep people form taking them or diminish their usefulness. SoS are definitely going to be best as a flanking unit.

But I am saying the same about Which Elves! Unless the CoB has some magical way of dodging cannon balls and bolt thrower shots I'm not really expecting WEs to get much milage either, but at least some more than Sisters because you can always use them to fill your core requirements.
Persuader
Executioner

Post by Persuader »

i've always been jealous of the High Elves for being able to take magic from the 8 BRB lores.
Heavens, Life & Dark will be the first I will try out.

I like the rules changes so far but I won't be taking many of the new toys at first glance.
- Shades w/ GW are back in the game. I like that :)
- MSU executioners.
- CoK's w/ ASF (without the banner of H.G.), so nice!
- Hydra and 'kraken' look nice (rules wise)

Can we still take sorceresses/masters/S.sorceresses and Dreadlords on Dp's?

It's gonna be a long week. :)
Ilderoth
Warrior

Post by Ilderoth »

Does anybody know whther the additional frenzy attack the new COB gives applies only to the unit in which it is placed? Or is it also possible to 'bless' a different unit (e.g. executioners next to a unit of witch elves with COB)? In addition, is the 'blessing' permanent? Because if that would be the case then you could, theoretically, at some point during the game have a horde of executioners with 50 attacks (double frenzy plus 3 ranks). :twisted: There are 2 potential plusses here: (a) more flexibility in using the COB; and (b) by not having to place the COB in the executioner unit itself you do not lose a significant number of those precious S6 attacks.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

So a deathstar at a glance (very fragile but will kill anything it meets.

35+ Executioners
Tullaris (to make them frenzied)
Sorceress (to make them S7)
Cauldron of Blood (to make them double frenzied)

30 exec attacks + Tullaris + sorceress (still 2S4 attacks in this case!) + Cauldron attacks (go overboard and put Hellebron on the cauldron :P)
Most of the time hitting on 3+, wounding anything up to T5 on 2+ and re-rolling 1s to wound!
7th edition army book:

Silentdan
Shade

Post by Silentdan »

Is it just me or did everyone not see that we get all 8 lores now. I am sensing a level 4 life with a level 2 shadow to support with a block of buffed out executioners.
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Dalamar wrote:So a deathstar at a glance (very fragile but will kill anything it meets.

35+ Executioners

30 exec attacks + Tullaris + sorceress (still 2S4 attacks in this case!) + Cauldron attacks (go overboard and put Hellebron on the cauldron :P)
Most of the time hitting on 3+, wounding anything up to T5 on 2+ and re-rolling 1s to wound!

I am not even going to sum up the points for that unit :P

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

My list so far is taking shape nicely.

Level 4 (Dark)

40 Spearmen
5 Dark Riders (Shield, Crossbows)
5 Dark Riders (Shield, Crossbows)
5 Witch Elves

5 Cold One Knights
5 Cold One Knights
10 Blackguard
10 Blackguard
12 Executioners
12 Executioners
RBT
RBT

5 Warlocks
5 Warlocks
12 Sisters, Razor Standard

Now just see what the new hero characters are like for a BSB, sprinkle a few Command options, add magic items as required and bake for 20mins. Its an MSU dream come true.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Dalamar wrote:So a deathstar at a glance (very fragile but will kill anything it meets.

35+ Executioners

Sounds great! Except when meeting armies with chaff :P :lol:
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Notts
Cold One Knight

Post by Notts »

No Saves wrote:The only thing which I feel has not been fully explained is what the Bloodwrack Shrine does. So, you can have the Medusa for 90 pts on foot and she gets 4 S4 KB shots (what range?). So far so mediocre. So apparently the Shrine gives +1 ld to DE within 6" and -1 ld to the enemy. So.... is that it? That mirror doesn't improve the Medusa's stare at all? The shrine doesn't do anything else? How much does the Shrine cost?

I think the mirror is what enables her to stare-shoot her 4 S4 KB shots.
No Saves
Warrior

Post by No Saves »

Notts wrote:
No Saves wrote:The only thing which I feel has not been fully explained is what the Bloodwrack Shrine does. So, you can have the Medusa for 90 pts on foot and she gets 4 S4 KB shots (what range?). So far so mediocre. So apparently the Shrine gives +1 ld to DE within 6" and -1 ld to the enemy. So.... is that it? That mirror doesn't improve the Medusa's stare at all? The shrine doesn't do anything else? How much does the Shrine cost?

I think the mirror is what enables her to stare-shoot her 4 S4 KB shots.

Then what does she do on her own? No shooting attack?! For 90 pts?! I don't buy it. That mirror has to do something.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Dalamar wrote:Attribute - meh, it's nothing crazy overpowered like Shield of Saphery but extra hits are never bad.
Power of Darkness - sadly as we feared only the caster's unit... but if we can have our wizards protected in combat it will be handy. Still not likely to take it but it's a sig so no waste
Doombolt - Hear the high elves cry Soul Quench is S4 while being the same... except needing 4 less to be cast, and 8? less for boosted version.
Chillwind - I don't know what to think about it yet... it seems we're getting a lot of low strength hits everywhere.
Word of Pain - BROKEN. This spell is officially broken, WS, BS, I and Strength! for mere 12+? oh yes, every day.
Bladewind - it will slaughter hordes instead of being a warmachine sniper spell. I like it.
Shroud of Despair - do you understand what a game changer spell this has potential to be? all units within 12" can't use BSB or General, once one fails a Ld test we can create a cascading chain reaction (cumulative with itself... so -1 for each unit that failed... until next magic phase so during their rally tests! and then we run them down!)
Soul Stealer - yeah, it will need large units to target so the scatter doesn't hurt it too much, but healing our wizards is priceless
Black Horror - inferior to Purple Sun, sadly but it still has potential.

Must have spells:
Shroud of Despair. Simply. Must. Have.
Soul Stealer. I want to keep my Level 4 alive (to a maximum of 10 WOUNDS do you see that? good luck killing the wizard after a nice soul stealer lands on your infantry)
Word of Pain. Combat winner right there.

Good spells:
Doombolt - expensive to cast but it has potential
Black Horror - carefully chosen target will hate it, though it's more risky to us than Purple Sun
Bladewind - good to clean out hordes but a lot of rolling.

Underwhelming spells:
Power of Darkness - if it wasn't on caster's unit, it would be a must have spell. This severely limits its usefulness.
Chillwind - yeah, 2d6 hits... but S2? meh.

Overall I like it. It's a lore with a potential that will have to be successfully tapped.

The voice of reason speaks again. Thanks Dal.

Trax, mate, please stop with all the doom & gloom. Your credibility slips with almost every post. None of us barring a very select few have had the chance to get a game in. At the end of the day, I trust the opinions of the Druchii.net vets & Ben Curry's time developing the new book over drippy eyed pessimism every time.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

xFallenx wrote:
Dalamar wrote:Attribute - meh, it's nothing crazy overpowered like Shield of Saphery but extra hits are never bad.
Power of Darkness - sadly as we feared only the caster's unit... but if we can have our wizards protected in combat it will be handy. Still not likely to take it but it's a sig so no waste
Doombolt - Hear the high elves cry Soul Quench is S4 while being the same... except needing 4 less to be cast, and 8? less for boosted version.
Chillwind - I don't know what to think about it yet... it seems we're getting a lot of low strength hits everywhere.
Word of Pain - BROKEN. This spell is officially broken, WS, BS, I and Strength! for mere 12+? oh yes, every day.
Bladewind - it will slaughter hordes instead of being a warmachine sniper spell. I like it.
Shroud of Despair - do you understand what a game changer spell this has potential to be? all units within 12" can't use BSB or General, once one fails a Ld test we can create a cascading chain reaction (cumulative with itself... so -1 for each unit that failed... until next magic phase so during their rally tests! and then we run them down!)
Soul Stealer - yeah, it will need large units to target so the scatter doesn't hurt it too much, but healing our wizards is priceless
Black Horror - inferior to Purple Sun, sadly but it still has potential.

Must have spells:
Shroud of Despair. Simply. Must. Have.
Soul Stealer. I want to keep my Level 4 alive (to a maximum of 10 WOUNDS do you see that? good luck killing the wizard after a nice soul stealer lands on your infantry)
Word of Pain. Combat winner right there.

Good spells:
Doombolt - expensive to cast but it has potential
Black Horror - carefully chosen target will hate it, though it's more risky to us than Purple Sun
Bladewind - good to clean out hordes but a lot of rolling.

Underwhelming spells:
Power of Darkness - if it wasn't on caster's unit, it would be a must have spell. This severely limits its usefulness.
Chillwind - yeah, 2d6 hits... but S2? meh.

Overall I like it. It's a lore with a potential that will have to be successfully tapped.

The voice of reason speaks again. Thanks Dal.

Trax, mate, please stop with all the doom & gloom. Your credibility slips with almost every post. None of us barring a very select few have had the chance to get a game in. At the end of the day, I trust the opinions of the Druchii.net vets & Ben Curry's time developing the new book over drippy eyed pessimism every time.

Can see Dark + Shadow synergy do some really really nasty combos to your opponent.

Word of Pain + Miasma for example

My Hobby Thread

W/L/D
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Dark + Shadow?
Have you considered Dark + Heavens level 1 for Iceshard Blizzard? -1Ld in a signature spell ;)
7th edition army book:

Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Dalamar wrote:Dark + Shadow?
Have you considered Dark + Heavens level 1 for Iceshard Blizzard? -1Ld in a signature spell ;)

Honestly I rather look at Life or Beasts than Heavens but I like your thinking :)

My Hobby Thread

W/L/D