Warlocks are Awesome, but are they Usable?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Warlocks are Awesome, but are they Usable?

Post by Setomidor »

Trax wrote:But even with the worst case in mind (them not working like bound spells), they are still awesome and until further scrutiny my most favorite thing of the new book so far.

Agreed! Fast cav with 2S4, ASF, and 4++ for 12.5 ss is a bargain in itself, being able to channel, dispel and cast Soulblight ( :shock: ) is a great bonus on top of that
Rizzen
Corsair

Post by Rizzen »

Quick question, considering these guys are lvl 2 wizards, will they be able to channel extra PD? And would that mean all 5 of them ( considering thats the unit size ) could channel?

edit: I see its just been answered. Awesome unit I think.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Rizzen wrote:Quick question, considering these guys are lvl 2 wizards, will they be able to channel extra PD? And would that mean all 5 of them ( considering thats the unit size ) could channel?

edit: I see its just been answered. Awesome unit I think.

Just to be clear they would channel once per unit, not per model.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

It will be very interesting to playtest this unit.

What about a unit of Warlocks containing a dark lore sorceres. Power of Darkness for +1S could be a great buff for them to threaten an exposed flank for S5 As from the warlocks. And their speed will allow them to be placed 17.9" from the opponent, or zooming through gaps in the opponents battle line for great close quarter and rear charge threats?

Apart from that a single unit of 5 would also be great value for the points.
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

I think I'll start with a single unit of 5, losing the fast cav rule on them is not tempting and I think just the 5 of them is too weak to protect the Sorc so you'd probably have to make the unit slightly larger (for no apparent benefit) if you want to use them as a bunker.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Yes, you would need at least 10 to make a reasonable size bunker.
But with a 4++ ward, and easy access to MR2 from the sorc, they would not make such a bad mobile bunker.

But i agree, that so far a unit of 5 seems great value for points. (unless they loose all casting ability as soon they get below 5 models)
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

@Phierlihy

I thought only the sorceress with the sac dag could use dice generated by it - how does your level 2 provide dice for your level 4?
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The wording on the spell is the dice go in the power pool. I saw no restriction as to who could use them.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Shadoer
Dark Rider

Post by Shadoer »

Phierlihy wrote:I can tell you now I plan on taking two Sorceresses, one level 2 and another level 4. The level 2 has only one job - to stab people. She's there to provide power dice for the level 4. Statistically she'll die in 64% of my games which I consider to be very acceptable. That will enable my level 4 of life to keep my troops tough and regrowed while pinging lost wounds back onto my High Beastmaster's manticore and on my hydras (and RBTs). And hopefully flush enemies down the Dwellers Below toilet.

Remember the dagger only adds dice to the sorc that's casting the spell. So you likely will want it on your lvl 4 sorc.
There is no such thing of defeat, just the postponement of victory.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

If I can get the spell off, my level 2 should provide 1 extra dice per phase and statistically add 2 more from channels throughout the course of the game. Plus take over in case something unfortunate should happen to the Level 4. And the spear elves will act as a throw-away deployment drop but can be a rank-force-multiplier if needed. I'm very comfortable with such a small investment.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
strategem
Cold One Knight

Post by strategem »

^^ I think you guys are talking about two different things here for generating PD - sac dag and PoD ^^
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

On the topic of Warlocks, Jossy just told us that Dark Steeds will grant Characters the Fast Cav rules. I think Warlocks will be extremely useful also as a mobile, 4++ bunker for our Sorcs.
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

Sorc with Tome for Soul Stealer, maybe MR (1) extra, PoD, Soulblight where necessary = happy hunting of stuff. Fast cavalry with 2A S5 (and S4 mounts - any reason why the buff shouldn't affect the mount?) and ASF is rather nice.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

As i mentioned some post above, i think Shroud of Despair will be very interesting on a sorceress in warlocks. You can also hope for soul stealer, but if nothing else, Doombolt or Power of Darkness would fit very nicely.

Having the ability to get behind your enemies lines and throw a spell affecting all enemy units withi 12", denying them Inspiring Presence and Stand Your Ground could be very interesting.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Setomidor wrote:On the topic of Warlocks, Jossy just told us that Dark Steeds will grant Characters the Fast Cav rules. I think Warlocks will be extremely useful also as a mobile, 4++ bunker for our Sorcs.

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! !eek! This is huge! I think we'll see a lot less Pegasi running about now.